Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Knock Sensor

Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 AM
tmounk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor

Has anyone heard about removing the knock sensor. It is suppost to release more horsepower caused by the sensor retarding the timeing in the engine because of vibration.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by tmounk
Has anyone heard about removing the knock sensor. It is suppost to release more horsepower caused by the sensor retarding the timeing in the engine because of vibration.
Why would you want that if that will also destroy your cylinder bores, piston heads, overheat valves and cause pitting on the cylinder head surface.

If I were you I would do more research what is knock and what does that do to the engine?

Do you think manufacturers use technology to reduce the peformance of the engine? Why not go ahead and remove the CVTCS system while you are it? May be carburettors are the way to go.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:44 AM
tmounk

Who said anything about removing it on my car. I just heard about it for the first time and was curious about it. Take it easy playa
Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm from what my understanding is about the knock sensor's purpose, I wouldn't try removing it.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 AM
PoWeRtRiP

DONT DO IT. if you even need to ask us why people would do it, you dont know enough about it to do it right.

lots of people do it on high hp applications where engine vibrations cause the knock sensor to retard timing. the vibrational noise sounds like knock to the sensor, which then causes the car to lose power.

ive never heard of doing this on anything less than a fully built motor, running a very big turbo and a full standalone ecu, with built in knock control in the ecu.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If by that you mean “release more power and never get it back again”, than yeah, it’ll work…

That’s one time you might even get more power running regular fuel instead of premium!

Seriously, what they all said. Don’t do it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:41 AM
usmanasif

Removing knock sensor does NOT "release" any power. KS protects the engine from grenading itself due to low grade gas. I'm beating the same drum everyone else is....don't do it.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:46 AM
tmounk

One more time, I was just asking about it because I heard about, never concidered doing it.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
archman350z

According to several dyno tests run by some national car mags awhile back, they found that the Z would gain 5HP at the rear wheels if they ran 101 octane in comparison to the crummy 91-octane California gas. They came to the conclusion that the engine ECU is still limiting spark advance on 91-octane CA gas, and adding 101-octane would allow the ECU to further advance the ignition timing (generally, more advanced ignition timing = more HP).

The engine ECU controls the ignition timing to control several factors: engine speed/power/torque, exhaust emissions, and pre-ignition (a.k.a knocking). Generally, the ECU will advance the ignition timing until pre-ignition events start occurring. If you have great gas, it will allow the ignition timing to advance further than on crappy gas, and the engine will make more power. Some people think that by removing the knock sensor completely will trick the ECU into giving the engine maximum spark advance (since it will never see a knock event), but they're quite wrong. The reason: ECUs are smart enough to detect if the knock sensor is not working correctly, and they will go to a default spark advance value...and you can rest assured that it is set conservatively enough that under most conditions, you will lose HP.

In short: it's a really bad idea. You'll lose power, your fuel economy will drop and the emissions will also increase. There's a lot of mis-information out there, so you have to be careful...I'm glad you asked before actually trying it!