Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have doubts?

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

You will find info about every CARB legal part for the 350Z...

You will see JWT Pop Charger, AEM / INJEN / K&N intakes on CERTAIN YEARS ONLY, DC SPORTS headers on CERTAIN YEARS ONLY...

etc etc...

You can search by Manufacturer or CARB #
Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Vick781

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
It's kind of ironic because you see a ridiculous amount of modified cars here.

Alot of people simply don't give a fuuug. I know I don't.

Im with you bro
Old 03-14-2006, 12:27 AM
tran03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ztalker
most motorcycle exhaust system are way too loud and annoying as hell but they are not illegal.
Harleys have loud exhausts because its in partly due to safety. Imagine if a harley had a quiet exhaust, do you think you're going to see/hear him when he's riding your blind spot for the last 3 miles?

I love crotch rockets but so afraid of not ME crashing, but some CAR crashing into me due to not seeing/hearing me.

Tony
Old 03-15-2006, 06:36 AM
chickmagnet

given my breif as heck explination with just some generalized conceps wihout the proper corse ororecourse of action i think some of you jerks missed the point...of what i trying to get across.
and the only thing that sucks at my law school is your mamma and the maintence equip. and they are neck and neck so I tell her to keep it up...
Old 03-15-2006, 06:37 AM
chickmagnet

given my breif as heck explination with just some generalized conceps wihout the proper corse or recourse of action i think some of you jerks missed the point...of what i trying to get across.
and the only thing that sucks at my law school is your mamma and the valcume and they are neck and neck so I tell her to keep it up...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
chickmagnet

Originally Posted by TurboSteve
sweet!! so just keep in mind all you drunk drivers out there that you dont really have to do the test and you can just hop in your car and swerve your way back home! what great advice i feel safer already
hey man way off base here. My point is just to state that you do have options and you do have rights. you cannot just drive off that wold be rediclious the point is just to inform you that you do not have to take the brethalizer and any modifications that are covered and out of plain sight you can ask for a warrent before they star searchin your car. the officers will have you think it is a credible source but ther are many things that can affect the brethalizers readout. thers a lot more in detial that will help all fellow z owners to understand better but that wasent the point of the post. he simple asked out illegal modz and i just pointed out that the officer just cannot search your car without a warrent. there is a fine line between resonable suspicion and Probable cause and the intent of the framers for the fourth amendment there are a few technicalaties about this issiue that go way beyond this post. sorry for any mis understandings
Old 03-15-2006, 08:20 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by Navygolf13
Not true in CA, the cops know their sh*t here. But, I was talking to a cop last night about how and when they can look under the hood and he pretty much said anytime. He also said that the cheapest way to avoid being harassed and made to fix things is to only buy CARB legal mods, I thought to myself.....NO WAY that makes sooo much sense why didn't I think of it. Basically anything you do to your car allows them to pull you over and inspect so beware.
cops arround here have better **** to deal with than this kinda stuff.. (called chicken **** policing) as it keeps the officers busy who dont want to be available for REAL police work/ calls

UNLESS those mods are used as probable cause to find something More suspicious (warrants/ drugs/ gang activity/ violence/ theft espicaly you get the point tho...
Old 03-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most cops in general are basic scumbag human beings. They were probably the kids at school who were social rejects and are trying to "legally" get back at society by abusing the genral public with the ridiculous amount of power they have been given. Honestly, there is a very fine line between these mindless, heartless, monkeys and the criminals they are supposedly trying to protect us from. Most younger cops just don't have the intelligence, education or life experience to responsibly exercise the excessive authority that they have been granted. Now, granted, there may be a few good officers out there who do really care about real issues with society, but the vast majority of these pig-brained morons do not care about stopping drug deals, child abuse, rape, theft, and really helping people in need. They just want to meet their ticket quota.

I hope some cops reads this and takes to heart that while he or she is out writing someone a ticket for their exhaust mod, somewhere there is more serious crime being committed that they are not tending to or trying to prevent by their presence.

Have I made my feelings perfectly clear?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:51 AM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I'm glad I live in FL where cops could really care less. Unless you run open headers or smoking like crazy out the tailpipe, they won't bug you about it.

They ARE gay with stupid mods like blue lights, clear corners, tint and in SOME very rare cases if your car is WAAAAAY too slammed and you just happen to catch the cop in a really bad mood.

I used to be all about the rice back in 2001 but now I just keep the car looking clean and try not to get too creative with the exterior. I just have the wheels, highest setting on the tein flex, stock bumper to hide the greddy FMIC, exhaust and front lip and cops seem to look the other way.

I think it also has alot to do with what car you drive. I'm sure if I had a civic, I'd be gettin pulled over left and right like I did in my prelude and rack up so many points in a year to pull off an "A+" in driving!

Cops are expecting a much older and wiser person sitting behind the wheel of a G35 than a cheaper car and probably expect a tougher time giving you some nonsense ticket.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
blue350zdevil

At first when I started to make mods to my car 5 years I was worried and tried to find mods that were street legal, but after a while I got tired bc everything I bought would "for off- road use only". Just about eveything is illegal so I really don't care. But thats my opinion
Old 03-16-2006, 08:37 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by chickmagnet
I am 3 year law student: first of all if a officer wants to look uner you hood you should immidatly ask for a warrent dosent matter if your on the highway or not. your he can only search what is in plain sight. he cannot by no means legaly ask you to pop your hood or search you car without a warrent. he must have probable cause for the warrent in wich is tied to reasonable suspision. He or she as an officer can ask but you can also say no adn force him to get a warrent. it dosent matter if you have anything to hide or not because they can plant anythnig in the car and say it was yours and you maybe looking at some serious charges that yo cant back out of. So what if you have to go to a holding facility for a couple of hours better to protet yourself then serve a few years for something thats not yours. TIP if you are stoped for a DUI you also have rights to reject the test for any reason. The more you allow a officer to do the more evidence is brought befor you so just a general rule for thought the police work for the proscution and its there job to prove beyond all resonable doubt not you giving them resonable doubt. be informed myfrind that the only people that can rule your car as unsafe is the police due to an obvious obstruction or a hassard to other drivers. adn thh DOT is the only body of government that can randomly check you for emmission standard and gas type but they only generaly stopp disseal trucks to check for farm disseal or some other none dot regulated fuel so dont worry just drive and be happy. and no officer is your friend unless he is your dad or a good buddy that you know personaly....follow theese rules just to keep yourself safe....

Which explains why you haven't graduated from law school yet...

As a real police officer (not in training) who has worked the streets for about 15 years now... Let me inform you, student, a safety inspection of a vehicle's equipment has nothing to do with what you are talking about. If I stop you in your car and I believe (reasonable suspicion (alot less than probable cause)), that your equipment has equipment installed which does not meet legal criteria for street use, I can and WILL inspect the equipment on your vehicle. Don't like it then we can sit down and dicuss it while your payment is processed with the tow company that handles our impounds.

You are talking apple & oranges my friend. Sad part is someone on this board may believe the crap you stated and end up getting themselves in trouble or a crapload of tickets as an attitude adjustment from the officer that stopped them.

4th Amendment issues are a totally different animal. In law school, did they go over the difference between an inspection and a search? Did you goto school that day?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:43 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Most cops in general are basic scumbag human beings. They were probably the kids at school who were social rejects and are trying to "legally" get back at society by abusing the genral public with the ridiculous amount of power they have been given. Honestly, there is a very fine line between these mindless, heartless, monkeys and the criminals they are supposedly trying to protect us from. Most younger cops just don't have the intelligence, education or life experience to responsibly exercise the excessive authority that they have been granted. Now, granted, there may be a few good officers out there who do really care about real issues with society, but the vast majority of these pig-brained morons do not care about stopping drug deals, child abuse, rape, theft, and really helping people in need. They just want to meet their ticket quota.

I hope some cops reads this and takes to heart that while he or she is out writing someone a ticket for their exhaust mod, somewhere there is more serious crime being committed that they are not tending to or trying to prevent by their presence.

Have I made my feelings perfectly clear?
Cop here and not offended by any of your comments, because I do not fall into the catagory you listed. Majority of cops don't fall into that catagory. When a person is willing to lable a large group of a profession, maybe that person should instead look within and do a self-test so that they may realize they are the one with the problem.

BTW, as for exhaust mod citations, etc... If I break up a street race gathering, I'm gonna jack anyone present for as many cites as I can find. Obviously common sense doesn't teach these people about how they are killing folks out there, so maybe some dents in the wallet will. Now you may feel this is bull****, but put on your thinking cap and ponder the amount of innocent deaths caused by persons street racing.

Drive your car thru my neighborhood with an exhaust (or stereo for that matter) that rattles windows, you're gonna pay if you get caught. It's all about responsibility. There is a time and a place for everything. Do the same thing out on the highway and I wont bother you. I am willing to bet that any tickets you got, you were most likely doing something wrong.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 PM
chickmagnet

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z

As a real police officer (not in training) who has worked the streets for about 15 years now... Let me inform you, student, a safety inspection of a vehicle's equipment has nothing to do with what you are talking about. If I stop you in your car and I believe (reasonable suspicion (alot less than probable cause)), that your equipment has equipment installed which does not meet legal criteria for street use, I can and WILL inspect the equipment on your vehicle. Don't like it then we can sit down and dicuss it while your payment is processed with the tow company that handles our impounds.

You are talking apple & oranges my friend. Sad part is someone on this board may believe the crap you stated and end up getting themselves in trouble or a crapload of tickets as an attitude adjustment from the officer that stopped them.

4th Amendment issues are a totally different animal. In law school, did they go over the difference between an inspection and a search? Did you goto school that day?
No I must have missed that day at law school. I have a good excuse. I was too busy inspecting some cops wife T&A and she wanted to test my test pipe, but all I wanted was to do a search of her ovaries with my tool…. Sorry badd I guess I should pay more attention…stupid me what was I thinking…..and when we finished I took her for a spin in my z. I guess ill smarten up one day….!!!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 04:17 AM
HDPDZO6

That's the best you can do? Come on now.

I noticed you didn't refute anything I wrote, which means you admit to being FoS. On that note, have a good day.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:51 AM
TurboSteve

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z

haha i knew this was coming

pwnd
Old 03-17-2006, 06:09 AM
stein

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
How is it for out-of-staters? As in military bringing their cars over?
In most if not all states their laws apply, even if your just driving through.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:17 AM
TurboSteve

hey man way off base here. My point is just to state that you do have options and you do have rights. you cannot just drive off that wold be rediclious the point is just to inform you that you do not have to take the brethalizer and any modifications that are covered and out of plain sight you can ask for a warrent before they star searchin your car. the officers will have you think it is a credible source but ther are many things that can affect the brethalizers readout. thers a lot more in detial that will help all fellow z owners to understand better but that wasent the point of the post. he simple asked out illegal modz and i just pointed out that the officer just cannot search your car without a warrent. there is a fine line between resonable suspicion and Probable cause and the intent of the framers for the fourth amendment there are a few technicalaties about this issiue that go way beyond this post. sorry for any mis understandings
If you are suspected of drinking and driving... and I'm sure there would be good reasons why you would be suspected of that... your rights just went right out of the window
Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cop here and not offended by any of your comments, because I do not fall into the catagory you listed. Majority of cops don't fall into that catagory.

I hope, in fact, that my generalizations are wrong. My personal life experiences have told me otherwise. It is a subject I am very emotional about. When a police officer abuses their authority, there is little one can do at that moment. If you try, you're likely to get into more trouble.

When a person is willing to lable a large group of a profession, maybe that person should instead look within and do a self-test so that they may realize they are the one with the problem.

Maybe, but not in this case. Law enforcement is a limited resource. You guys can't be everywhere stopping all illegal activity. In my judgement, you are probably letting a lot or more serious stuff get by because you are targeting the easier, little stuff just to make money for the city/state. It's all about priorities. When resources are limited, they should go to where they will do the most good. Forget the car mods....go after the drug dealer on the street corner.

BTW, as for exhaust mod citations, etc... If I break up a street race gathering, I'm gonna jack anyone present for as many cites as I can find. Obviously common sense doesn't teach these people about how they are killing folks out there, so maybe some dents in the wallet will. Now you may feel this is bull****, but put on your thinking cap and ponder the amount of innocent deaths caused by persons street racing.

Street racing is stupid and irrsponsible. Go ahead and throw their *** in jail. This IS real police work. But as far as car parts go, what's really the difference between a car that's 400hp from the factory and one that's 250hp from the factory modded to 400hp. The end result is the same. It's arbitrary and being on the front line of law enforcement, officers should use better judgement about what is a more valuable use of their time.

Drive your car thru my neighborhood with an exhaust (or stereo for that matter) that rattles windows, you're gonna pay if you get caught. It's all about responsibility. There is a time and a place for everything.

Agreed.

Do the same thing out on the highway and I wont bother you. I am willing to bet that any tickets you got, you were most likely doing something wrong.[/

What does "wrong" mean. There are so many things that are "wrong" that are still legal. There are so many things that are illegal that aren't wrong.
Someone can be driving 64mph in on a snow covered highway with unsuitable tires and a rear wheel drive car and it is still legal. You can't touch him. Yet if I drive 90mph on a completely open road with dry sunny conditions in car well equipped to do so, you can nail my ***. Who is really being more dangerous here? Who is really "wrong".

Last edited by Speedracer; 03-17-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:09 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Maybe, but not in this case. Law enforcement is a limited resource. You guys can't be everywhere stopping all illegal activity. In my judgement, you are probably letting a lot or more serious stuff get by because you are targeting the easier, little stuff just to make money for the city/state. It's all about priorities. When resources are limited, they should go to where they will do the most good. Forget the car mods....go after the drug dealer on the street corner.
Agree that LE is a limited resource, however, we have our consituents who play a large roll in what activities will fill our days. Guess what majority of the citizenry complain about? Traffic related offenses. On that same note though, most police departments never put all eggs in one basket. If I'm assigned to traffic detail, you can guarantee other officers are doing other tasks. You may not see it, but it would be impossible for you to do so, unless you had access to beat sheets, shift assignments, etc. We also have to realize that traffic related injuries/fatalities are one of the leading causes of death in this country.

I don't let more serious stuff get by just to generate traffic revenues and that's an unfair statement for you to make. In fact, since I work for a federal agency, my department gains zero from any citations we issue. Now, some small podunk jurisdictions will do that, but they are far and few between. They really don't have a choice. Have a small town (say 500 or less population with no industy center, but a nice juicy section of interstate running thru them, of course they are filling revenue coffers. Just learn where those places are and be an angel there. Even I don't speed and am extra careful in those area (professional courtesy is usually lacking in places like those).

Street racing is stupid and irrsponsible. Go ahead and throw their *** in jail. This IS real police work. But as far as car parts go, what's really the difference between a car that's 400hp from the factory and one that's 250hp from the factory modded to 400hp. The end result is the same. It's arbitrary and being on the front line of law enforcement, officers should use better judgement about what is a more valuable use of their time.
I can only assume here (we know how dangerous that is, don't we?), but regulations pertaining to aftermarket car parts is needed for pollution/safety reasons. The example you gave is incorrect. The 400hp stock vehicle has all equipment that meets current regulations. Isn't it only fair that the aftermarket parts you buy conform to the same standards? Do you think that without set standards, fly-by-night manufacturers would start dumping high polluting, possibly dangerous parts on the market? As for the last sentence, again, we do what the citizenry demands. Just so happens right now that street racing (and any vehicles which looks like one for the most part) is high on the list.

What does "wrong" mean. There are so many things that are "wrong" that are still legal. There are so many things that are illegal that aren't wrong. Someone can be driving 64mph in on a snow covered highway with unsuitable tires and a rear wheel drive car and it is still legal. You can't touch him. Yet if I drive 90mph on a completely open road with dry sunny conditions in car well equipped to do so, you can nail my ***. Who is really being more dangerous here? Who is really "wrong".
I can stop someone driving with improper tires for snow. It happens all the time. If it is snowing, I don't care what type of tires you have, I will stop you for doing 64mph (even in a 75mph zone). How you may ask? Little law most jurisdictions have... "Too fast for conditions".

As for your going 90 statement... You are right, but you have to admit that you are breaking the law. Cops are not the culprit here. Cops enforce laws and cannot make them. You have more appropriate avenues to complain about that then to negatively label police officers. Me personally, if you have a capable vehicle and the road is empty (just me and you), I will probably stop you, but as long as you are polite and take the ensuing ***-chewing about slowing it down, you most likely won't get cited by me. I do remember making a post earlier about a S2000 I stopped for doing almost 80 in twisties where I work. I stopped him and chit-chatted about car stuff for a bit. Gave him a warning about speeding and that was it. Legally, I could have arrested the driver since where I clocked him was a 35mph zone. But he was caught late at night with no one remotely near him and displayed some excellent vehicle control abilities.

To summise, all cops aren't dicks and I take offense to anyone who suggests such. Some are, but in no greater proportion than the general population (from where we all come from, remember?) I wasn't picked on while I was younger and suffer from no types of inferiority complexes (as you suggested). I just decided in my early twenties that I wanted to make a difference in society. I've dedicated myself to my profession.

So let's knock the generalizations please.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:23 PM
rolling

I am 3 year law student: first of all if a officer wants to look uner you hood you should immidatly ask for a warrent dosent matter if your on the highway or not. your he can only search what is in plain sight. he cannot by no means legaly ask you to pop your hood or search you car without a warrent. he must have probable cause for the warrent in wich is tied to reasonable suspision. He or she as an officer can ask but you can also say no adn force him to get a warrent. it dosent matter if you have anything to hide or not because they can plant anythnig in the car and say it was yours and you maybe looking at some serious charges that yo cant back out of. So what if you have to go to a holding facility for a couple of hours better to protet yourself then serve a few years for something thats not yours. TIP if you are stoped for a DUI you also have rights to reject the test for any reason. The more you allow a officer to do the more evidence is brought befor you so just a general rule for thought the police work for the proscution and its there job to prove beyond all resonable doubt not you giving them resonable doubt. be informed myfrind that the only people that can rule your car as unsafe is the police due to an obvious obstruction or a hassard to other drivers. adn thh DOT is the only body of government that can randomly check you for emmission standard and gas type but they only generaly stopp disseal trucks to check for farm disseal or some other none dot regulated fuel so dont worry just drive and be happy. and no officer is your friend unless he is your dad or a good buddy that you know personaly....follow theese rules just to keep yourself safe....

Normaly i dont care about such trivial things as this but ...
in this case: IF you are a 3 year law student, what kind of law school lets you get that far when you cant even spell simple words right??????????

Quick Reply: legal/illegal mods?