Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

powershifting? bad for your car??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Z33FairLady_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powershifting? bad for your car??

have any of u guys practied powershifting in your car? also will it hurt your car if you do it wrong?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:49 AM
paulsmansfield

please define powershifting
Old 03-15-2006, 01:53 AM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

this topic should be interesting.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say so or road racers would be powershifting as well, but let the experts chime in.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have never run a FI car, but to keep up rpm's and boost some people do it, and i did occasionaly do it on my Spitfire during races but it had low power.

i think in the Z you would wear it out alot faster, BUT, if you are racing at the track and are willing to sacrifice for speed it will net you a couple 10th's of a second
Old 03-15-2006, 03:42 AM
paulsmansfield

shifting without lifting off throttle?

a good way to bugger your car
Old 03-15-2006, 04:06 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by UBERMENSCH
this topic should be interesting.

hey, in the same reasonning, what's to worst that could happen if I don't brake comming onto an exit ramp? From 55mph? And 75mph?

Should be way faster, right?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Kolia

More seriously, the worst that can happen would be a loud noise from your trany as it grenades itself trying to be into 2 gears at once. The car would just stop rolling, rear wheels locked.

Less worst would be a busted synchro, killing one gear (at the others once metal shavings start going everywhere.)

It really is not as fast as some might want to believe. And it’s just hard on the whole drive train.

It’s your car, do what you want with it.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation

I have powershifted when racing since I was 17-done it on every car ive driven/raced. 53K on the stock clutch when I pulled it out, never slipped 1X, even with 6000rpm launches on slicks. To me, powershfiting in the Z is not about dropping tenths off your 1/4, its about personal preference. I got to the point with my shifting, that even with a VERY quick lift off the throttle when switching gears, it felt like it slowed me down. So I eventually started powershifting. Now it just comes natural. When done correctly, you dont even jump more than 200rpm's and in some cars(like stock turbo cars Evo's, GTI's, etc) you get good gains from it, from boost not falling during shifts. I dropped .8 tenths off a buddy's time down the 1/4 in his bone stock 1.8T with only a .1 better 60ft (14.6 @ 95mph with a crappy 2.2 60ft-which I think is a record still on the VW bboards lol). I did have problems with my tranny at first, but my car is an 03' we all know the issues, I wouldnt blame myself for the synchro failure-chalk that up to Nissan. My latest tranny, which has over 20K miles has never given me issues, nor has my stock or JWT clutch now. When done correctly, I dont think it will *** up your car. Any racing/fast shifting will prematurely wear your tranny/clutch down, but to me its not enough to not do it. Thats my
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 AM
Kolia

So I guess it’s all about having the proper technique.

Alberto doesn’t have any problem power shifting his Z since he got his second tranny and third clutch…
Old 03-15-2006, 09:34 AM
kewlii

I might not be as hard core as Alberto, but I powershift my car very often. I wouldn't say i powershift everytime i shift, but definately every time I am driving my Z, i powershift a few gears. my Z is a 2005 with 13K miles, not a single problem YET eheheheheh. and i definately jumped more than 200rpm when i powershift but way less than 500rpm.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:55 AM
southern_info

When powershifting your suppose to shift right at the rev-limiter. If you do it before then and of course your going to bounce once, if not twice off of the rev-limiter on your shift. You just need more practice and to really eye ball your TACH! Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 AM
dchi_t

sorry for the newb question, but can some one explain 'powershiftin' and how it doesnt require clutching? thanks and sorry again
Old 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
southern_info

Originally Posted by dchi_t
sorry for the newb question, but can some one explain 'powershiftin' and how it doesnt require clutching? thanks and sorry again

Powershifting requires using the clutch! Put the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there. You should be pressing the clutch in simultaneously as your pushing or pulling the stick into the next gear. Your to do all this at the same time when you hit the rev-limiter. Your shift will be faster than normal as I would say like a knife cutting butter and it will be in the next gear faster than you know it. You will be shifting faster than speed shifting the normal way. Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:02 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

power shifting as i have always known it is not using the clutch. can be done on older manuals or straight cut gears, but a huge no no on newer helical cut gears. you will grind smooth your syncro in one or 2 tries like this.
now just not letting off the gas when you shift is just proper shifting when you need to "git 'r dun". i do about a half clutch as quick as my foot will move and that is enough to get the syncros to line up and not grind.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:18 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kolia
So I guess it’s all about having the proper technique.

Alberto doesn’t have any problem power shifting his Z since he got his second tranny and third clutch…
I thought alberto was on his third trans and second clutch? idunno why I would know that though.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM
bilinghm

Powershifting (No lift/ redline shifting) when drag racing used to be a necessity if you expected to win. Now many/most serious racers run autos. Roadracers don't powershift. Powershifting is one the best way I know to distroy a street car. Miss a shift and you will probably badly screw something in the drive train. Also, unless you are at the strip, what's the point? Needlless abuse of the equipment.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
I thought alberto was on his third trans and second clutch? idunno why I would know that though.
I don't know. I just thought it to funny to point it out

No hard feeling Alberto
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wtf, i heard rumors of 4 tranny's and 5th clutch for alberto.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
You are correct, like I posted above. My 3rd(latest) tranny was the "good" 4th gen revision Nissan came out with, not one of the known ones to fail, since then no issues.

Quick Reply: powershifting? bad for your car??