Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Down Shifting vs. Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:08 AM
bOmberO_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Down Shifting vs. Brake Pads

I see all these posts about different kinds of downshifting, and heel/toe, and just putting it in "N." Well, this is my first manuel car, that's not to say I'm new at driving manuel. It's just the first one i've owned.
Anyways, I asked around, and most people said they just pop it in "N" and slow down with the brakes... afterall, that's what they are made for. This is what I do also, If I'm in 6th, I just let got of gas, then as I start getting closer I put it in N and use the brakes.
I don't downshift because it puts stress on the engine and tranny from what I've been told. I mean, wasn't downshifting just really used to rev up your motor as street racers got closer to the lights?
I guess, I'm going to be using my brakes pads a lot quicker, but i'd rather pay for a brake job then lose miles and life on my motor and tranny.
What do you guys think is better, and maybe I can get a better explanation of the other methods of stopping. Is going to "N" bad? I don't think so, but i'd love everyone elses opinion
Old 03-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Vamos_Rafael

dont put it in N and hit the brakes
leave it in a lower gear then hit the brakes
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 AM
bOmberO_Z

What if i'm in 6th...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by bOmberO_Z
What if i'm in 6th...
what speed r u traveling?
if ur in 6th @ legal speed (65mph) for economy then just blip it into 3rd
thats what i'd do...
maybe Kolia can enlighten me, but i do think downshifting + brakes stop more aggressively than just hitting the brakes...
Old 03-16-2006, 06:47 AM
03performz

I always throw it in neutral early and cruise to a stop (w/ brakes). Brake pads are much cheaper than trans. and clutch...plus gas=$$$.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:50 AM
[]V[]addog

combination of downshifting and brakes is what i got used to, smoothest and shortest distance if needed.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:04 AM
islandsnow

I think it all depends on the distance to stop, if you are way out from the intersection, you have time to down shift and let the engine brake for you. If you are right on the intersection and the light turns red, you slam the brakes and either be in N, or have the clutch in. The Z doesn't have that much engine braking but i still love down shifting through the gears to 2nd and then jumping on it through a turn.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:09 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I revmatch and downshift all the time. If I am doing normal deceleration then I dont heel toe (i just blip throttle to avoid a jerky downshift), but if I am being racy and really into being as fast as possible I heel toe (which is most of the time). Its funny when someone rides with me and are like "what are you doing?" Then I explain the art of downshifting, as I see it.

Actually brake pads and rotors are about the same as a tranny or clutch. You are not hurting anything and using your engine to slow the car down does not use any more gas. The tranny is very beefy (even tho some have problems). We have one apart at the shop right now, its pretty trick!.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:20 AM
bOmberO_Z

A tranny is not as cheap as brake pads, are you crazy! AnywaysI don't grasp the concept of heel-toe.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Vamos_Rafael

A tranny is not as cheap as brake pads, are you crazy! AnywaysI don't grasp the concept of heel-toe.
why dont u check out my new thread
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/178389-how-to-proper-heel-toe-in-a-350z-video.html
its basically Heel-Toe 1 on 1
Old 03-16-2006, 07:35 AM
bOmberO_Z

I wear a size 14, and i'm in the military so I wear big boots... This is not going to happen for me. Plus i'm mexican, I don't have that kind of heel toe cordination
Old 03-16-2006, 07:44 AM
cyberz350

I see all these posts about different kinds of downshifting, and heel/toe, and just putting it in "N." Well, this is my first manuel car, that's not to say I'm new at driving manuel. It's just the first one i've owned.
Who the hell is Manuel and why the hell do you have to drive his lazy **** around?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:47 AM
PoWeRtRiP

its dangerous to shift into neutral while stopping.

heres why

when decelerating if some sort of unknown variable comes into play the driver will have to shift it back into gear before being able to use the gas to accelerate away. by leaving it in gear you can stop braking and swerve, accelerate, or use other means to avoid an accident.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberz350
Who the hell is Manuel and why the hell do you have to drive his lazy **** around?
Old 03-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by cyberz350
I think "Manuel" is what he named his transmission ...
also i agree its safer to leave in gear so u can swirve and accelerate if the lady in the BMW X5 decide to grab for the cell phone while driving
Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 AM
mikead_99

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
its dangerous to shift into neutral while stopping.

heres why

when decelerating if some sort of unknown variable comes into play the driver will have to shift it back into gear before being able to use the gas to accelerate away. by leaving it in gear you can stop braking and swerve, accelerate, or use other means to avoid an accident.
While I wouldn't go so far as to say N stops are dangerous since for that matter, driving is dangerous, but down-shifting does allow more control of the vehicle. I really don't see the excess wear and tear on the tranny/clutch as an issue. Back in the early 90's my Sentra SE-R made it to just under 100k on stock clutch and the engine stopped that car way more than the brakes with me driving it. It's a great way to enhance the stopping power of the car and leaves you ready to go if needed.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:51 AM
VandyZ

No I am not crazy. Pads + rotors are about 1200-1800 for just parts depending on what you get. Transmission is around the 1500-1600 range as well. Clutches are only 400-500.

I am just saying that it is silly to use the argument that it costs less to brake only than to downshift due to parts or even gas (it is almost the opposite). Wear and tear on brakes are going to happen no matter what, thats how they are designed. Transmissions are designed to last the life of the car or as long as any other mechanical item in the vehicle. Downshifting correctly is part of the designed use for those parts. You would be more cost efficient if you used less brake and more downshifting.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
bOmberO_Z

Yea, I can see brakes soting that much if you have the brembos... SOrry buddy, I have the performance 2004, comes with regular brakes.

Anyways, downshifting I have no idea, maybe i'll just alternate! Cars... man they are a pain sometimes
Old 03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
VandyZ

Well no one has talked about how much fun downshifting is either. I feel really connected to the car when everything is coming together and feels smooth. So relaxing and it helps deal with the stresses of driving, especially with all the tools out there.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:19 AM
JAMESZ

I wear a size 14, and i'm in the military so I wear big boots...
I wear a size 13 and I'm pretty sure you don't where combat boots 24/7 (I know I don't); so your excuse doesn't work there.
Downshifting is NOT going to damage your tranny and clutch. It is no harder on any components (if not less so) then regular acceleration/shifting. The arguments being made in here are ridiculous. You are not going to destroy your tranny or wear out your clutch with simple downshifting. And if you can't grasp the concept of heel toe you might want to look into an automatic car that is not a sports car, or don't even pretend that the car your in is a sports car and that you know how to drive it.

What VandyZ said is correct; brake pads and rotors add up and wear fast; the transmission isn't going to be harmed by downshifting, and the clutch isn't going to wear any faster...

Quick Reply: Down Shifting vs. Brake Pads