Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LED's In the Doorhandles

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003 | 04:02 PM
SandMan

Default LED's In the Doorhandles

Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys thought of LED's in the doorhandles. I seen pictures from when we were still in the dark about the Z. But the picture was definately a photoshop. I would think that the LED's in the door handles would compliment the LED's in the front reflectors. Hopefully someone has this picture or I will find it and post it, it is an old picture. You old school guys might know what I am talking about.
Old 01-28-2003 | 04:16 PM
Brad4rdHay

Nissan planned on having a trio of blue LEDs on the door handles but cut it for obvious cost reasons. Pretty cool eh.
Old 01-28-2003 | 04:36 PM
SandMan

Ahhh damn, that would have been pretty cool. Well maybe someone will come out with something. I mean it has been done for the reflectors.
Old 01-28-2003 | 04:42 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

thats way too flashy for me... what the hells the point of that?

Its a friggin door handle, not a reflector. RICE!
Old 01-28-2003 | 04:44 PM
SandMan

Rice? How so?
Old 01-28-2003 | 04:44 PM
UFO

Might be cool if they just lit up when you hit your unlock button on the remote. Good for those dark nights. That would have been slick...but not lit all the time. That would be too ricey.
Old 01-28-2003 | 04:49 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

useless LEDs glowing all over your car... I cant find any distinction between this and washer LEDs.
Old 01-28-2003 | 04:50 PM
SandMan

Sure, the front reflectors would be cool, but this would be considered rice. Ahh okay now I get it.
Old 01-28-2003 | 05:02 PM
Moroccan_Mole

yea, it was in the concept car ... i will probably find a way to do it to my car now. i would only have them flash when you arm/disarm the alarm. id also like my leds in the side reflectors to do this.

as soon as i get an extra door handle and some free time ... ill figure it out
Old 01-28-2003 | 05:05 PM
SandMan

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
yea, it was in the concept car ... i will probably find a way to do it to my car now. i would only have them flash when you arm/disarm the alarm. id also like my leds in the side reflectors to do this.

as soon as i get an extra door handle and some free time ... ill figure it out
When your project is done, please post some pictures, I am curious on how they look like.
Old 01-28-2003 | 05:13 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

Originally posted by SandMan
Sure, the front reflectors would be cool, but this would be considered rice. Ahh okay now I get it.
first off, they are reflectors, meant to reflect light, giving off light isnt too much of a stretch. handles are the side of a car, they are not meant to give off light.

also look closely, youll see I dont have LED side markers either. not my taste.
Old 01-28-2003 | 05:27 PM
SandMan

Originally posted by ares
first off, they are reflectors, meant to reflect light, giving off light isnt too much of a stretch. handles are the side of a car, they are not meant to give off light.

also look closely, youll see I dont have LED side markers either. not my taste.
So your telling me, that if Nissan stuck with their original plan and kept the LED's in the door handles, you would have bought the Z?
Old 01-28-2003 | 05:40 PM
Brad4rdHay

They would've come on when you hit the unlock button "welcoming" you to your car.
Old 01-28-2003 | 05:58 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

but they didnt, so whats the point? they didnt cause nissan used good judgement and realized that would make reduce the class of the car. I actually had no idea they planned to do that at all.
Old 01-28-2003 | 06:43 PM
UFO

but they didnt, so whats the point? they didnt cause nissan used good judgement and realized that would make reduce the class of the car. I actually had no idea they planned to do that at all.
How would having a conveniece light using LEDs in the door handle "reduce the class of the car?"

I, for one, would think it would be both classy and convenient. We're not talking about neon here ya know.
Old 01-28-2003 | 07:18 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

convenience lights??? hahaha you cant find the doorhandles??? come on, thats just an excuse to strap some lights to the side of the car.
Old 01-28-2003 | 07:26 PM
UFO

convenience lights??? hahaha you cant find the doorhandles??? come on, thats just an excuse to strap some lights to the side of the car.
You still didn't answer my question. Oh well...come people just like to be confrontational I guess.
Old 01-28-2003 | 07:41 PM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

well to answer your question then, we should define class I suppose, mercedes, BMW, lexus, porsche, ferrari, lamborghini, can we qualify these as classy? none have lights on their handles...

now lets think of cars that do have LEDs randomly placed around the body, Civics, eclipses, perhaps some mustangs and cavaliers.

anyway, I hope that helps explain my position. useless lighting that draws your attention from the car onto some 20cent lighting. that may be a good thing for civics but hopefully your Z is a bit different.
Old 01-28-2003 | 07:47 PM
kroams

I remember reading how the Road and Track test driver of the concept thought the LED lights in the door handles added a really nice touch. He interviewed someone at NDA and they also liked the idea of LED's but figured cost cutting would get rid of them. Personally I think it would be VERY classy and slick in the dark if it had a few blue LED's that flashed when you pressed the keyfob to lock or unlock the car. Of course as long as they don't look cheap in the daytime just driving around.
Old 01-28-2003 | 08:47 PM
alphared

how would Led's on the handle consider rice?? Side mirrors never had lights till Benz decided to add them. I don't see how led's would give the impression of speed like other rice accessories?

Quick Reply: LED's In the Doorhandles