Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A L A R M S ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 08:52 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alarm vs Insurance - alarms

It is true insurance is good, but having your car stolen sucks in more ways than losing money. First there is the "walking home" part. Then there is the "getting to work the next day part". Then you start to remember all the stuff that was in the car.

Also, insurance is not as good as keeping the car. If you buy a Z for $30 and drive it home the book value that night is probably several thousand less than you paid. Unless you have "gap insurance" you eat the gap.

Most insurance won't cover modified parts or add ons either. They might if you can document them completely, depends on the policy. (Yeah man, I had a $5K stereo in that 1978 Pacer!)

As for the wheels, I almost hope they get stolen. For the dealer price of stock replacements I could get some SWEET custom wheels and tires. 8*)

I like the Clifford system someone described with the wireless components.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:55 AM
grayfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<-- has gap insurance, no mods and an old set of jumper cables in the car

and um...my cell phone charger? =) There's no trunk to "hide" stuff, so nothing's in it. I guess some CD's, but whatever.

I'm not saying that I want my car stolen, I guess I just have a less vested interest in uber protection since I have a stock car and good insurance, I refuse to live in fear. =)
Old 01-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Z4KR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing to consider is that most insurance companies now offer a discount if your car is equipped with a tracking device.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:53 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

true, but the failure rate on the Zs is still very low. the most commonly stolen car was like a 93 corrola or something, cause there starting to fail ALOT. finding parts is not a problem, but they dont want to pay for them. someone that just bought a 350Z isnt likely to go replace broken parts with illegal things, not to mention, their ALL still under warrenty. leaving a mighty small market for stolen parts.

as for insurance, theres also a bit of a emotional attachment to a car. I know a guy that drives one of those buick 88 or whatever they are, big peice of crap. he HATES it. but it got stolen, he was SOOOO pissed. and when it turned up(minus stereo, and cat) he didnt even want it, cause it had been tampered with by someone else. your car and your house are your sanctuaries, yeah, its just a car, were not talking a ferrari here, but its YOUR car. after a while with it, replacing it isnt always so easy.