Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Synthetic oil bad right away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM
scribe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil bad right away?

This morning, I talked to a local shop I like to take my vehicles to. We discussed putting synthetic fluids (Mobil 1 oil, Royal Purple manual transmission and differential lubricants) in the Z, and the shop manager was telling me that I shouldn't put those into the car until it has about 9,000 miles on it. The car has about 1,700 on it right now.

He claims that synthetic fluids lubricate so well that putting them in right away won't let the engine, transmission and differential "break-in" or "seat" properly, hence the recommendation of waiting until about 9,000 miles. Does anyone agree with what this person is telling me? I've never heard anything like that before.

Also, if I'm going to run synthetics in the car, are Mobil 1 and Royal Purple good choices, or would pretty much any brand of synthetic lubricants work? I plan to use my Z primarily for long highway trips and autox during the summer.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:47 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does this mechanice explain the fact that hundreds of thousands of vehicles come from the factory with synthetic oil in them. Every Ferrari, every M Series BWM, every Corvette, every Porsche, and the list goes on.

BTW, your tranny and diff come with synthetic in them from the factory.

You can and should run synthetic oil from day one.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:48 PM
mickey99us

i dont agree. putting that in to begin with will help lessin the wear and help it all seat better. hes just tring to get you to buy thier oil
Old 03-20-2006, 02:19 PM
scribe

That's exactly what I was thinking. I didn't know about Porsches, BMWs, etc. coming from the factory with Mobil 1, but I did know about Corvettes rolling out of Bowling Green with Mobil 1 in the crankcase. Putting Mobil 1 in vehicles such as those makes perfect sense. Yeah; I have no idea where the shop manager was coming from when he told me to hold off until about 9,000 miles or so.

Zs come from the factory with synthetic transmission lubricant and differential oil? If that's the case, what advantage, if any, would there be to switching to something like Royal Purple or Redline?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Skittle_Z

Originally Posted by scribe
This morning, I talked to a local shop I like to take my vehicles to. We discussed putting synthetic fluids (Mobil 1 oil, Royal Purple manual transmission and differential lubricants) in the Z, and the shop manager was telling me that I shouldn't put those into the car until it has about 9,000 miles on it. The car has about 1,700 on it right now.

He claims that synthetic fluids lubricate so well that putting them in right away won't let the engine, transmission and differential "break-in" or "seat" properly, hence the recommendation of waiting until about 9,000 miles. Does anyone agree with what this person is telling me? I've never heard anything like that before.

Also, if I'm going to run synthetics in the car, are Mobil 1 and Royal Purple good choices, or would pretty much any brand of synthetic lubricants work? I plan to use my Z primarily for long highway trips and autox during the summer.
I agree with the mechanic...because why do manufactures use special "Break in oil" To help promote proper wear so it all seats properly. So putting in synthetic right away slows the break in process alot so. I always run regular oil in my cars for the first 5-10k then switch to syn to help maintain a pristine engine. Try doing some more research on the web to see what you find out. Here you are just going to get oppions.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:23 PM
ht4

He is dead on... Do what he says.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
350Zteve

Originally Posted by Skittle_Z
I agree with the mechanic...because why do manufactures use special "Break in oil" To help promote proper wear so it all seats properly. So putting in synthetic right away slows the break in process alot so. I always run regular oil in my cars for the first 5-10k then switch to syn to help maintain a pristine engine. Try doing some more research on the web to see what you find out. Here you are just going to get oppions.
"Break in" oil is an old wives tale. No such thing any more.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:27 PM
350Zteve

Zs come from the factory with synthetic transmission lubricant and differential oil? If that's the case, what advantage, if any, would there be to switching to something like Royal Purple or Redline?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Well, there's no proof that any of them ARE any better than what Nissan uses, but everyone has their favorites and positive experiences with other brands, so they use them. Redline and Royal Purple are great products, but its not easy to quantify any improvements. I personally like the factory synthetic tranny fluid. I changed it out for Royal Purple and found the tranny much harder to shift when cold. I will be switching back to the factory fluid very soon.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Skittle_Z

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
"Break in" oil is an old wives tale. No such thing any more.
How can you say thats an old wives tale when both of my last two new cars have had statements in the manuals mentioning break in oils to help? And both of them are newer then the Z.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:26 PM
whimz

got a question. Have recently bought 2004 roadster auto (16000 miles) and have always run Pennzoil in everything I've ever had. Asked the service dept. about synthetic oil they said not really any better. Should I change soon to synthetic or stay with Pennzoil. Just drive locally and on road trips. Thanks. whimz
Old 03-20-2006, 04:32 PM
davidf

Give Top Secret in Japan a call, they'll steer you straight.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
jinsei888

Originally Posted by davidf
Give Top Secret in Japan a call, they'll steer you straight.
lol, wow
Old 03-20-2006, 05:01 PM
screener
Banned

How can you say thats an old wives tale when both of my last two new cars have had statements in the manuals mentioning break in oils to help? And both of them are newer then the Z.
Manufactures still use break in oil as skittle_z states.But get that crap out of the motor at 500 miles.I think the shop manager would be right if we were still in the 1980's.Run what ever lubricants you want for whatever reasons conventionals or synthetics.Now the tranny is a little different in my learnings I have been told not to run anything to slick,the syncos need some amount of friction to work properly.If I were you I would leave the tranny and diff fluids alone but run whatever you like in the crankcase.
Just my opinion though.
Here is some reading from Mobile 1's site:
Myth:
You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.
Reality:
You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:
Aston Martin
Bentley Amage and Bentley GT
Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS
Chevrolet Corvette
Dodge Viper
Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
Mercedes SLR
Mitsubishi EVO
Pontiac GTO
All Porsche vehicles
One of the myths that surrounds synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

Last edited by screener; 03-20-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:20 PM
rolling

Beddow,
those engines are not the same as 350z.
nissan engeneers know there enginse best! how many of those engines won 10 best for about 10 years in a row???

Mobile one could make MUCH more money if the marketing dept persuades you to buy synthetic from start.

nissans own manual states a break in period.

05' 06' VW TDI pump deuce have break in oil. ( i HAD one)

worst case senerio: Synthetic oil prolong break in... besides ow many of you are actually gonna have your 350 200k or more??? (where it would show most benifit) or even 150k?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
350Zteve

I'm not saying some don't still use it. I mean is not needed any more. Modern machining techniques have made the need for break in oil obsolete. That's why so many cars are coming with synthetic in them from the factory.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Ztalker

i heard all BMWs are broken in by factory test drivers before they're shipped out.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Fletch69z

Keeping the engine lubed is the most important thing. Whatever brand you use doesn't matter (as long as it isn't ****). I just change my oil every 3K miles and I've never had a problem. Just keep it lubricated with a decent oil and you'll be fine.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

why risk it, just wait until you hit 9k or so.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:35 PM
screener
Banned

Originally Posted by rolling
Beddow,
those engines are not the same as 350z.
nissan engeneers know there enginse best! how many of those engines won 10 best for about 10 years in a row???

Mobile one could make MUCH more money if the marketing dept persuades you to buy synthetic from start.

nissans own manual states a break in period.

05' 06' VW TDI pump deuce have break in oil. ( i HAD one)

worst case senerio: Synthetic oil prolong break in... besides ow many of you are actually gonna have your 350 200k or more??? (where it would show most benifit) or even 150k?
Completely agree rolling!But I do think Mobile 1 is just listing them as examples(there is a pretty diverse group of motors listed).Manufactures just do the smart thing and not waste money on filling up the crankcase of all their cars with Synthetics when a conventional will do just fine.Damn can you imagine the added cost of them just using synthetics in 1 line of cars.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
rolling

beddow
o yea, the thought had entered my mind lol..

look at the cost of those other cars that come with it !!!
yeeoww!!

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil bad right away?