Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do Boltons really Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006 | 10:16 AM
Hella

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Your numbers are a little off for most FI setups...$6-8K is right in the range of my APS kit and with that bolted on a tuned I gained over 200whp...
I dont think a mod that costs 850-1200 to install can be considered a bolt on.
Old 04-08-2006 | 10:46 AM
Ayankees2772
Banned

Bolt ons do work. In order to do a super charger, turbo, etc...you have to have headers, etc. so u will need to have some type of bolt ons to even get the the SC and turbo area...ps im bored at work!
Old 04-08-2006 | 11:00 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap
Premier Member

I hope someone now doesn't buy headers when they go buy a turbo kit.
Old 04-08-2006 | 11:03 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Hella

I never said it was...refer to the post that I was quoting.
Old 04-08-2006 | 01:25 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Why would the "rev-up" motors make any higher power fully modded than the 287s??? They have the same compression and the same heads. Your going to change everything else with an N/A build. The only advantage they have fully modded is the VTC on the exhaust cams...and that's not going to make a major difference with a built N/A car.
I think it will, especially when someone does a full build. No one with a Rev-Up motor to my knowledge has really done a full build. There aren't even any exhaust cams out for the Rev-Up motor yet. I think given that aspect, it will not be as difficult to break the 300whp mark.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Until someone tries we won't know.
Old 04-08-2006 | 02:16 PM
twinship

The highest stock Z trap speed in the 1/4 mile is 103mph. The highest N/A that I know of is 108mph (and there are probably some cars like the crawford cars that can trap higher than that)...that extra 5mph doesn't come from nothing. That's a pretty significant power difference. Dyno numbers are nearly useless as a true measure of performance...
And that 5mph gain in terminal speed is obtained at what cost, both in $$$ and in sacrified low-end torque?

Agree that dyno numbers don't tell the whole story. But neither is drag racing the best measure of a sports car's performance.
Old 04-08-2006 | 08:48 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Armitage
I think it will, especially when someone does a full build. No one with a Rev-Up motor to my knowledge has really done a full build. There aren't even any exhaust cams out for the Rev-Up motor yet. I think given that aspect, it will not be as difficult to break the 300whp mark.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Until someone tries we won't know.

DUDE...it's the SAME motor...with different cams, different lower intake manifold, and a slightly higher redline due to the extra intake breathing. ALL OF THESE things are changed during an N/A build. So the basic starting point would be exactly the same as the 287 motor sans the exhaust VTC.

You won't see any noticeable difference in the two fully built up.
Old 04-08-2006 | 08:50 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by twinship
And that 5mph gain in terminal speed is obtained at what cost, both in $$$ and in sacrified low-end torque?

Agree that dyno numbers don't tell the whole story. But neither is drag racing the best measure of a sports car's performance.
Spoken just like someone who has never and will never modify cars. Enjoy your 1 of 100,000 other completely stock, slow, understeering 350Zs.
Old 04-08-2006 | 09:08 PM
ZlleH

I'm a little confused...

Did the original poster mistakenly put "Bolt ons" when he really meant "NA".

Because I always thought the term "Bolt ons" meant that a company specifically made a product for your model of car so that the mod just "bolt on" instead of you having to frabicate and modify a generic application.

Example: You can buy a "bolt on" turbo kit made specifically for your car and you do not have to fabricate anything.

Or you go to a speed store, buy all the things needed for a turbo system and start fabricating your own custom turbo.

Isn't that what the difinition of "Bolt on" is?
Old 04-08-2006 | 09:21 PM
Hella

Your numbers are a little off for most FI setups...$6-8K is right in the range of my APS kit and with that bolted on a tuned I gained over 200whp...
I never said it was...refer to the post that I was quoting.
This is what i was referring to.......although i realize what you were trying to say.

Last edited by Hella; 04-08-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2006 | 09:26 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

This is what i was referring to.......although i realize what you were trying to say.

Here I'll fix it for you so it's easier to understand:

Your numbers are a little off for most FI setups...$6-8K is right in the range of my APS kit and with that installed and tuned I gained over 200whp...
I was simply pointing out that the hp/dollar ratio of FI is better than N/A.
Old 04-08-2006 | 09:36 PM
upperguy

Is it true that the mod is more effective if you apply the manf. stickers when you install them? [/sarcasm]
Old 04-08-2006 | 10:12 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I'm a little confused...

Did the original poster mistakenly put "Bolt ons" when he really meant "NA".

Because I always thought the term "Bolt ons" meant that a company specifically made a product for your model of car so that the mod just "bolt on" instead of you having to frabicate and modify a generic application.

Example: You can buy a "bolt on" turbo kit made specifically for your car and you do not have to fabricate anything.

Or you go to a speed store, buy all the things needed for a turbo system and start fabricating your own custom turbo.

Isn't that what the difinition of "Bolt on" is?
I was only making a reference to Michael bolton.. let move along
Old 04-08-2006 | 10:17 PM
ZlleH

Sorry, your original posts did not have any signs of you trying to refer to the singer. I reread the post again, and I would have to be a mind reader to know you where refering to the singer.

Originally Posted by Cannysage
Old 04-08-2006 | 10:38 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Sorry, your original posts did not have any signs of you trying to refer to the singer. I reread the post again, and I would have to be a mind reader to know you where refering to the singer.
My z gained 5 hp, listening to Michael Bolton. But more importantly, yes, FI can be boltons, but people adapted the term in reference to NA mods. emanage and oil pans can be a bolton, but usually, people would exclude them, in terms of 'bolton' mods, unless specified. Didn't mean to confuse anybody - I'm refering NA Bolton Mods in this thread...

and plus michael bolton

Old 04-09-2006 | 10:20 AM
upperguy

Originally Posted by Cannysage
It's okay man, I caught the office space quote
Old 04-09-2006 | 12:51 PM
LIdrew

Originally Posted by Ayankees2772
Bolt ons do work. In order to do a super charger, turbo, etc...you have to have headers, etc. so u will need to have some type of bolt ons to even get the the SC and turbo area...ps im bored at work!
You can Turbocharge or Supercharge an otherwise COMPLETELY Stock car.
Old 05-07-2006 | 01:04 AM
vince1611

---

Last edited by vince1611; 04-08-2022 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2006 | 03:21 AM
roast

DUDE...it's the SAME motor...with different cams, different lower intake manifold, and a slightly higher redline due to the extra intake breathing. ALL OF THESE things are changed during an N/A build. So the basic starting point would be exactly the same as the 287 motor sans the exhaust VTC.

Didn't they upgrade the conrod bolts too?
Old 05-07-2006 | 05:02 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Oh really?

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/188423-finally-got-a-baseline-dyno-on-my-z.html

Baseline BONE STOCK dyno of 268whp. Other 300hp rev-ups that day were running about the same as well. If all goes well, I may be able to break 300whp with just bolt-ons.

I am also trying to find a local Dynojet to see what kind of numbers I put out on that as well though. And in a couple of weeks I'm hitting the strip to see what kind of times and trap speeds I can put down.

Quick Reply: Do Boltons really Help?