Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do Boltons really Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006 | 07:11 PM
ericbel88

Default "the Truth About Bolt-ons"

in this months issue of sport compact car they did an article on bolt ons....."bolt-ons componets are not designed to make power by themselves, but help the engine and related systems reach full potential. There are endless claims of making power from vtec controllers, waste gates, blow offs. cam gears, etc....In truth, all of these parts are just tuning tools. None of these will make you any extra horsepower without proper caliberation and adjustment. New ECUs are so intelligently adaptive and often temperamental that bolt-ons can end up causing losses in power unless ecu is retuned."

so basically without tuning, your not going to have very much gains, and in many cases, loose power.
Old 05-08-2006 | 12:35 AM
hitop

Originally Posted by welles
for the street, the Z already has all the power you can reasonably use.
+1000
Old 05-08-2006 | 11:43 AM
ZXERT

Originally Posted by Chebosto
There was nothing wrong with Boltons until that no talent ***-clown started winning grammys.

Why don't you just go by Bolt?
Old 05-08-2006 | 01:49 PM
Z_freak

this thread=tired head....
Old 05-09-2006 | 08:30 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ericbel88
in this months issue of sport compact car they did an article on bolt ons....."bolt-ons componets are not designed to make power by themselves, but help the engine and related systems reach full potential. There are endless claims of making power from vtec controllers, waste gates, blow offs. cam gears, etc....In truth, all of these parts are just tuning tools. None of these will make you any extra horsepower without proper caliberation and adjustment. New ECUs are so intelligently adaptive and often temperamental that bolt-ons can end up causing losses in power unless ecu is retuned."

so basically without tuning, your not going to have very much gains, and in many cases, loose power.
I've read that article and while I agree with most (95%) of it, I don't agree that bolt-ons won't make power. As you can see from my sig my $800 worth of bolt-ons made power. The key thing with bolt-ons is right in your quote: "...bolt-on componets are not designed to make power by themselves..." Meaning a simple CAI/PopCharger won't bring out much more than 5hp, when working with a spacer or other breathing it helps that mod out. Nor do I agree with what you said: "so basically without tuning, your not going to have very much gains, and in many cases, loose power." While I believe you should tune a car with bolt-ons, it is not a must. Tuning only brings out hidden power that the stock ECU holds back. Tuning also helps A/F mixture and could prevent knocking if tuned correctly.