ZAINO study now underway

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 12:54 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

(weeping...sobing)....OK...OK...I can't take it anymore...I'm writing the check to Zaino...it will be in the mail tomorrow morning..can I please stop seeing these incredible photos now..(once again AudioPat has broken down and ordered more stuff for a car he can't even get an order number for...how pitifull)
Old 07-15-2002, 02:06 AM
rai

Originally posted by fluids_gts
That would be very cool to see a contingent of 350z's at Summit in November. Although I drive a Celica GT-S, I just signed up earlier this week... all of the dates for Friday At The Track (FATT) are full before November. You might want to sign up soon, as they seem to be filling fast...

http://www.bsr-inc.com/SCHEDREC.HTM

Hope to see you there... any chance I could beg a ride-along from you? Love the new 350z... I may have to upgrade one of these days!
Can you give us some info, like do we need a track licence before?

Also I am going to have to get my wifes permission, that may involve me doing stuff around the house. Damn.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:47 AM
fluids_gts

Originally posted by rai

Can you give us some info, like do we need a track licence before?

Also I am going to have to get my wifes permission, that may involve me doing stuff around the house. Damn.
For the Friday at the Track (FATT) event, you do not need a track license or previous experience. For $175 you get 4 20-minute sessions on the track with an experienced driving instructor. It is not a timed event, and passing is controlled and allowed only on 3 straight sections on the track. You also get to drive around a variable traction skidpad (water and sand) is some of their old beater instruction cars to get a feel for controlling under- and oversteer situations. The time I went, there were about 70 cars, divided into 3 separate groups. Because it is not a timed event (i.e. you are not racing per se), and it is billed as a driving instruction course, most insurance companies will cover mishaps that may occur (I have not tested this, nor inquired with my own insurance, but this is what I got from talking with the instructors).

There are two classes for the FATT event, class 1 and class 2. Class 2 is for people who have gone multiple times, and do not need instruction - basically you need to have gone as class 1 a number of times and get "signed off" to drive in class 2. The instructors are basically people who have gone through BSR's driving instruction program, and seem to represent a wide range of enthusiasts - some competing in SCCA, or cart, etc.

All-in-all, it was a hell of a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to going back on November 8. Let me know if you would like to know more. Hope to see you guys there.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:28 AM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fluids_gts

I'm more than interested. Please keep me posted as to signing up. My Z SHOULD arrive in October, It will be broken in by November. Gotta take a Z vacation. Summit Point...never been there, I can't think of a better way to make State #47 of the list of States I've been to. VT, Alaska, and Hawaii will be left. I need details! PM me if you wish.

Need an excuse to waist my stock tires. Haha, no excuse needed. Snows will replace the 17's. Not sure about the future 18's?????

I hope BonZ(or his internZ) shows up, as I will need a good wax job!

Last edited by EnthuZ; 07-15-2002 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:55 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I think BARE minimum you could get away with the Z2, the Z5, the Z6, and the ZFX added to the Z5 to make the process faster. The clay bar was really impressive though. I've seen clay bars in other mags. (Griot's Garage for one) and it has been a little cheaper than the Zaino clay. I would think that clay is clay so you could probably buy the cheapest without any decrease in quality.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:58 PM
rai

If I couldn't spend 6+ hours on the process what can I do if say 3 hours was the maximum time? what kind of results or is it an all or none affair?
Old 07-15-2002, 05:06 PM
bigone

Default Clay bar

Bonz,

Do you think we will need to go through the clay bar process if we started Zaino-ing with a brand new Z?

is the paint "contaminated" from the factory?
Old 07-15-2002, 05:15 PM
2003z

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I think BARE minimum you could get away with the Z2, the Z5, the Z6, and the ZFX added to the Z5 to make the process faster. The clay bar was really impressive though. I've seen clay bars in other mags. (Griot's Garage for one) and it has been a little cheaper than the Zaino clay. I would think that clay is clay so you could probably buy the cheapest without any decrease in quality.
I bought some modeling clay for $3.00 at a teachers supply store and it works just fine.

[/QUOTE][/B] Do you think we will need to go through the clay bar process if we started Zaino-ing with a brand new Z?

is the paint "contaminated" from the factory?[/B] [/QUOTE]

yes, its probably a little contaminated, and it can't hurt anything.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:55 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I agree. The Zaino gurus say that when the car comes to you by truck it can pick up junk from the road and if by train it can pick up "rail dust" whatever that is. I thought that the car was wrapped in plastic so I'm not sure what they are taling about. It may therefore not be necessary but as 2003z said, it won't hurt anything.

The clay has to be the kind that doesn't wash away in water. i.e. not the kind that you see on a pottery wheel spinning around al la Demi Moore in "Ghost". That kind would make a big mess. The clay bar that comes from Zaino is more like a silly putty consistancy and is "waterproof" if you know what I mean.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:37 AM
a_p

Originally posted by #15Blade

DANGER Will Robinson, DANGER! I've yet to meet an intern who less than tripled my work, much less did what I asked right... LOL!

Sorry, old joke, but couldn't resist. Your car looks great - especially the reflected bricks in #4.
Right now I'm sitting in my call room browsing the forum... I wish my attending thought that... I'ld be able to go home, and hand him my trauma pager for the night.

BTW, does anyone have any suggestions on other polishes which take less than 12 hours? (12 hours is hard to come by as a surgery intern)
Old 07-16-2002, 03:45 PM
2003z

Originally posted by a_p

BTW, does anyone have any suggestions on other polishes which take less than 12 hours? (12 hours is hard to come by as a surgery intern)
Blackfire, available at http://properautocare.com/polish.html

Wash with dawn, clay bar, then 2 quick coats, one of polish, one of topcoat.
Attached Thumbnails ZAINO study now underway-02-is300-side.jpg  
Old 07-17-2002, 06:45 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I don't know for an absolute fact but I have seen it mentioned that the Z will have a clear coat.

a_p, Just so you know. I appreciate the work that my residents do for me immensely. Without them, I certainly wouldn't be able to spend much time on this forum, or with my wife and kids. I try to treat them with respect and treat them and their families to lunch and dinner quite often. At Christmas me and my partners give them a pretty generous bonus. We also usually buy each graduating resident a pair of loupes for surgery.