Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

06 Touring, problems starting?? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:42 AM
trehlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Touring, problems starting?? Help?

I've got 1800 miles on my 06 6MT Touring and have been having on and off issues with the car turning over. It's happened roughly every couple of hundred miles, even once before I'd put gas in the car for the first time. Somewhere between 10 and 15 times to date.

Basically, it's just not turning over until the 3rd or 4th turn of the key. It doesn't make any crunchy/grinding sounds like a bad starter would, and I made the mistake of leaving the dome light on one night and the car started up without any issue the following morning. So it's probably not the battery either.

I'd thought that it was a cold start issue, but it did it once after I was leaving a convenience store after driving for some time and the car only having been off for a few minutes.

The Voltmeter never makes it beyond 10 when it's happening and trying to start, which makes me think it could be a grounding or wiring issue, but I honestly have no idea, and it would seem, neither does Nissan where the car is now. I dropped it off last night, and the best they can tell me is that they can't duplicate it, and everything checks out fine. Well, the problem is obviously there, and is obviously happening or else I wouldn't be wasting my time and everyone elses to drop it off.

It's never not turned over after letting it sit for a moment and trying at it a few more times, but I'm worried sooner or later I may get stranded by it.

Has anyone had this problem, or have any ideas what it could be? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Dennis
Old 04-11-2006, 06:58 AM
deviantZ

Originally Posted by trehlo
I've got 1800 miles on my 06 6MT Touring and have been having on and off issues with the car turning over. It's happened roughly every couple of hundred miles, even once before I'd put gas in the car for the first time. Somewhere between 10 and 15 times to date.

Basically, it's just not turning over until the 3rd or 4th turn of the key. It doesn't make any crunchy/grinding sounds like a bad starter would, and I made the mistake of leaving the dome light on one night and the car started up without any issue the following morning. So it's probably not the battery either.

I'd thought that it was a cold start issue, but it did it once after I was leaving a convenience store after driving for some time and the car only having been off for a few minutes.

The Voltmeter never makes it beyond 10 when it's happening and trying to start, which makes me think it could be a grounding or wiring issue, but I honestly have no idea, and it would seem, neither does Nissan where the car is now. I dropped it off last night, and the best they can tell me is that they can't duplicate it, and everything checks out fine. Well, the problem is obviously there, and is obviously happening or else I wouldn't be wasting my time and everyone elses to drop it off.

It's never not turned over after letting it sit for a moment and trying at it a few more times, but I'm worried sooner or later I may get stranded by it.

Has anyone had this problem, or have any ideas what it could be? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Dennis
Are you sure you're pushing in the clutch all the way everytime?

I'm not necessarily accusing you of performing the Gangsta Lean, but most people's cars I've gotten in to have their seat positioned WAY too far back.

Usually the clutch engages at top of the throw, and people position themselves for that, but the ignition sensor is at the very bottom of the throw.

If you can't push it to the floorboard without using your tippy-toes, you're too far back.

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-11-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:20 AM
trehlo

I'm actually one of only a few people I know that likes my seat up close for exactly that reason. The clutch always hits the floor between shifts and when idling in gear.

Additionally, I will usually pump the clutch a few times between these problems. If it doesn't turn over right away, I'll usually bump the shifter back and forth a bit and press the clutch in a few times as well. It doesn't seem to matter and the car turns over when it feels like it, usually on the 3rd or 4th try at it.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:25 AM
trehlo

Something that just came to mind though, when I purchased the car, I'd asked them to adjust the clutch to lower the release point on it. Is it possible they could have messed with something in there that could be causing the problem?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 AM
deviantZ

Originally Posted by trehlo
Something that just came to mind though, when I purchased the car, I'd asked them to adjust the clutch to lower the release point on it. Is it possible they could have messed with something in there that could be causing the problem?
Quite possibly. I would go get it checked out. Maybe they knocked the sensor out of calibration or something like that. Could simply be a bad ignition switch.

Maybe more sweet talking is in order?

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-11-2006 at 09:09 AM.