Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This Is Y The Elders Tell Teenagers Not To Get A Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006 | 11:41 AM
z33chillin

Default This Is Y The Elders Tell Teenagers Not To Get A Z

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

People street racing is why when teenagers coming in to ask about getting a z they get flamed. Almost 90% of the street racing accidents are caused by people between 16-25yrs old.

TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Last edited by z33chillin; 04-12-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2006 | 11:48 AM
roast

What does a Z have anything to do with it?

I think you meant to say "this is why the elders say take it to the track".
Old 04-12-2006 | 11:49 AM
ZlleH

"Kids and adults who drive like this, they put everybody at risk," police Sgt. Barbara Jones said. "This is a horrific crash right here. I don't know how to describe it any other way."
Even the Police officer is less bias then your title O.o People of all ages street race, not just teenagers.
Old 04-12-2006 | 11:52 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

Sad but once again folks...take it to the track (I guess I'm an elder ). It's a tragic loss but I'm glad he didn't take out an innocent bystander.
Old 04-12-2006 | 11:53 AM
Kanyon71

I will NEVER understand why people feel the need to race in the middle of the day on croweded urban streets. Flame me all you want but thats just stupid. Screw endangering your own life what about endangering the lives of people who had nothing to do with the STUPID thing you are doing. I have no issues with racing but there is a time and a place to do it.
Old 04-12-2006 | 11:54 AM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Even the Police officer is less bias then your title O.o People of all ages street race, not just teenagers.
+1

It's just irresponsible people.
Old 04-12-2006 | 12:09 PM
z33chillin

Originally Posted by ZlleH

i agree.didnt mean to come across as biased. Sorry
Old 04-12-2006 | 12:58 PM
blake Z

dang that really sucks... i'll admit i've done some racing that wasn't very smart(when is racing ever smart) but hopefully i'll get my act together. i try to be smart about it but it's pretty hard when you have your pride on the line.
Old 04-12-2006 | 01:01 PM
Combat350z
Banned

I'm young and the truth is for the most part it is young people who do the racing. Sure every age group has their idiots but we by far make up the majority.
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:10 PM
skeleton jack

Well, older people are involved in a lot of dwi deaths.
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:37 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by skeleton jack
Well, older people are involved in a lot of dwi deaths.
The statistics simply are that teenagers and the very elderly are more likely to be involved in a fatal accident.
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:40 PM
lw3

Originally Posted by Kanyon71
I will NEVER understand why people feel the need to race in the middle of the day on croweded urban streets. Flame me all you want but thats just stupid. Screw endangering your own life what about endangering the lives of people who had nothing to do with the STUPID thing you are doing. I have no issues with racing but there is a time and a place to do it.
When Fast and the furious 3 come out you will probably see stories like this every week because idoits will want to show off "their tyte drifting skills on public roads"
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:41 PM
Kanyon71

Originally Posted by Combat350z
I'm young and the truth is for the most part it is young people who do the racing. Sure every age group has their idiots but we by far make up the majority.
Not sure how old you are but thats pretty darn impressive and mature to even say something like that. Most very young people take offence and try and lash out when statements like this are made.
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:46 PM
Clapton9286

Not all of them; I found a lot of people are mature when it comes to a car, especially if they pay for it themselves.
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:50 PM
sabrefanpc

I completly agree that young people, as an age group, have more idiots willing to race in an unsafe environment. THAT BEING SAID, I don't see how it is an excuse to flame every young person that has interest in a 350Z.

And yes, I am young
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:52 PM
Blurr350z

Originally Posted by z33chillin
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

People street racing is why when teenagers coming in to ask about getting a z they get flamed. Almost 90% of the street racing accidents are caused by people between 16-25yrs old.

TAKE IT TO THE TRACK
Do you honestly think that this post will change anything? Everyone is guilty of street racing, and the unfortunate people that end up getting killed or killing others made the same bad decision that so many other people make all the time. Im not against street racing, theres a time and a place, and if done cautiously, it is practically harmless.

And stereotyping young drivers, or as you call them 'kids', as the main problem with street racing is very very naive. Im 19 and offended by that generalization. Around my area, I would say Im in the minority of street racers because of my age. Most are guys in their mid-late 20s.
Old 04-12-2006 | 06:54 PM
Clapton9286

I'm 19 and not offended at all; I don't street race and I know people who do. All of them are around 18-22. It's the culture and they love it, and I know some who have lost feeling in their limbs and movement in their fingers from crashing while racing. It's a matter of where you are that really helps in your life experiences..
Old 04-12-2006 | 07:33 PM
Ken Corsun

Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Agree.
Old 04-13-2006 | 03:20 AM
Hedotwo

I'm likely one of the older ones on the boards and I can say I still rise to a stoplight challenge if called upon. I've always had that in me, beginning with my 4-speed 65' F-85 in high school that brought me more than one encounter with the law and I can also tell you that owning a Z does nothing to discourage this old guy as he ages either The key is that the older I've gotten the less risk I'm willing to take. It's well documented that your own sense of mortality (and indirectly that of others) increases with age Add to the risk of accident the risk of tickets and the baggage they can force you to carry for 3-5 years. Bottom line is enjoy the ***** you carry when you're young, but try and think of the consequences before you accept a challenge that really doesn't feel right, in terms of risk.

Know when to just say no

Rich
Old 04-13-2006 | 05:09 AM
sry110

I would imagine that 90% of the people on this board who bought 350z's did not buy them just to be track cars, and did not buy them as status symbols for cruising around town (that's what G35's are for!). They bought the car mostly to drive it aggressively on the streets that they travel every day. That being said, I do believe there is a distinct difference between driving fast and racing. When most people race, the tendency I believe is to pay more attention to their competition than to the road ahead of them. I think that's what leads to pedestrians getting hit and/or the front end clipping the median and sending the car tumbling down the road at 80 mph.

The funny thing is, I have had my Z for a month now and have not raced anyone. I haven't even had the inclination to race anyone...although the local automotive tech school kids in their hondas always want to race, I just won't. I don't want to risk my own safety, nor the condition of my newly-acquired $30k "sports" car. Now what I have done is get on it pretty hard from a red light when I was in the front of the line of cars, just to have the pleasure of taking first and second gears to redline. I know this probably comes off to the guy in the next lane as though I was trying to race, but I know it's not my intention. I bought a fast car, and I want to let it go fast now and again.

But if he puts the civic in neutral, revs his cracker-jack box engine and honks his horn three times, you can rest assured that when the light goes green I'm gonna be sitting there gently engaging the clutch and shifting at 3500 RPM or lower while he torque steers and bounces off the rev limiter for a quarter mile.

Quick Reply: This Is Y The Elders Tell Teenagers Not To Get A Z