Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Scary situation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Black Out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary situation

Let me apologize from the get go if this thread belongs under another topic. I wasn't quite sure where to put it, but wanted to share an incident that I was involved in today.

This afternoon, around 1pm, I was driving eastbound on a narrow four lane road that connects northern Silver Spring to College Park, MD (those of you in the area may know the road, Cherry Hill Rd). The road itself is quite narrow and very twisty, with visability being very poor in many areas due to hill crests and sweeping turns, hence not very conducive to excessive speed. I was creeping along in my 3000GT at fairly low rate of speed (it was one of those nice days where you just want to cruise) when I notice a black sports car fly up on my rear in a flash. The car zips up alongside my car and I notice that it is a black WS6 Trans Am with two guys in it. For about a quarter of a mile, they speed up quickly, then slow down and pace my car, obviously wanting to get me to play. Well, since I was not in the mood to play (and knowing full well that my 3000GT SL would get trounced by a WS6), I just shook my head no and continued at my current rate of speed. Either not satisfied with my gesture or simply trying to show me what the car was made of, the Trans Am takes off like a bat out of hell. Honestly, it made me look like I was standing still when they went WOT. I watched as they quickly distanced themselves from my car and began to weave in and out of traffic erraticly. Since I have driven this road many times while a student at UMD, I knew there was a large hill up ahead that they were nearing where visability is zero until you crest it. I quickly thought to myself that they better slow down or they'll kill anyone who pulls out onto the road at the rate of speed there were going.

Not giving it any more thought, I drove over the same hill and came upon absolute carnage. There was smoke, twisted metal, and car parts lying all over the road. I shut off my car and rushed to the first car I saw, a white Honda Civic that was practically split in two. The woman driver was mangled and I could barely make out the features in her face. I then ran to the Trans Am, where both men were still strapped into the car; however, they were not breathing. I called 911 and reported the accident. In the end it turned out that the Trans Am crested the hill to find a Nissan Maxima pulling slowly out of a parking lot. Trying to avoid the Maxima the Trans Am swerved, clipped the Maxima's bumber and drove straight into oncoming traffic, striking the Honda Civic absolutely dead on. Emergency response was quick, but with the speed I knew that Trans Am was traveling, I knew someone had to have been killed. It turned out to be the innocent woman in the Honda Civic. She was someone's mother, sister, fiancee etc... who was innocently caught up in some ***hole's petty need to show-off. I'm sorry this was so long but it was a sad dose of reality for me today and admittedly I might have been involved if I was driving my Z, foolishly trying to show what my new car could do.

Be safe out there ladies and gentlemen.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:22 PM
ZThang

Damn....i heard ya bro...preach on
Old 02-04-2003, 03:43 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default This should be read by everyone....

An absolutely excellent account of stupidy resulting in senseless tragedy....

Very, very sad....

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this horrific accident. Sorry that you had to witness it.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Mvirgin

Sorry to hear about that.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:58 PM
WayneTN

I, too, am sorry you had to witness this horrible event. I hope you provided an account of the details to the police. Glad you played it safe.

Life is fragile. Count every day as a blessing. Don't take chances. Everyone, please drive smart and don't let anyone sucker you into driving into their accident.

Wayne
Old 02-04-2003, 04:57 PM
wildone_106

I seen so many people drive like this, in all sorts of cars and get away with it..but its only a matter of time before you get it if you pursue that behaviour...I have no sympathy for reckless drivers
Old 02-04-2003, 05:25 PM
grayfox

Oh how awful...=(

Drive safe, kids. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:42 PM
UFO

I'm sorry for the woman and her family. I have ZERO sympathy for the punks whether they survived or not.
Old 02-04-2003, 06:05 PM
Gendo Ikari

Great post, everyone should read it.

It really hits home for me because I witnessed something like this 6 years ago. The images of the accident I witnessed remain as vivid as the day it occurred, and probably will for as long as I live. It sucks, but it does serve as a constant reminder not to be stupid on the roads.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:07 PM
sessions

This post should be required reading for people who use their cars to feed their egos. Those two idiots weren't killed, but they'll have to live the rest of their lives knowing they killed an innocent because they felt like racing.

Chances are, though, they'll just get another fast car and keep on racing, since remorse rarely penetrates such thick skulls.

If you have to race, do it on a track.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt and thanks for an important post.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:17 PM
brackethead

That is a truly horrible event. I think everyone on the road should keep a story like this in the back of their minds when getting behind the wheel. I hope the driver of the Trans Am goes to jail for a long, long time. You proved your intelligence by not joining in. Thanks for sharing this story, tragic as it is.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:24 PM
importriders

I feel for the innocent victim and her family. The wrong person died on this day.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:08 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad post but maybe sharing it here will cause one or more people to cool their jets.

Hope you told the cops the story. Those two idiots will do jail time.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:18 PM
phreezee

I took your story to heart and hope to learn from other people's mistakes. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:21 PM
s9am_me

dang.. sad story.. making me think twice about running circles over them ricey civics/intregras
Old 02-05-2003, 12:09 AM
Phatmitzu

....good thing you didnt chase.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:32 AM
jj1814

I've had my natural mother taken from me by a drunk driver before I turned 2 years old...

I've had a friend's unborn baby (she was 8 months pregnant) taken from her by a loser on extacy...speeding and weaving in and out of traffic. He tapped, not rammed, the car...but that's all it took for her (who was driving) to lose her child.

People, dont be stupid. (This goes especially to the dude who was high and wrecked his Z; you deserved a wrecked Z)

And thank you for sharing this with us.

Last edited by tbcz; 02-05-2003 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:13 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have a suggestion

I would like to suggest that you tell the police your entire story. The dead woman and her family deserve to have this issue investigated with all the fact available.

If a court finds that this was negligent manslaughter then maybe the punks will get a free driving lesson in the state pen.

Just my $.02

Speeding is one thing, speeding over a blind hill is another.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:20 PM
LA-Z

Hmmm. Awful story, feel bad. No need for the ***** comment. Lame and useless.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:43 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's a tough story to read, but thanks for sharing it. This is a good example of how the potential downside of pushing your car's limits is often so much lower than the potential upside is high.

Gary

Quick Reply: Scary situation