Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan makes a change in recommended oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
cupcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nissan makes a change in recommended oil change interval

I just had the dealer do the recall fix on my gas filler.

While I was at the dealer, the service advisor told me Nissan changed the oil change interval to 7500 miles if you use synthetic oil.

Does anyone have a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that they could post for this?

I would like to have one for my file since it affects the warrantee.

I do all my own oil changes using synthetic oil and don't want to have a service denial if I can't document changes every 3500 miles.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:30 AM
drifter23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcar
I just had the dealer do the recall fix on my gas filler.

While I was at the dealer, the service advisor told me Nissan changed the oil change interval to 7500 miles if you use synthetic oil.

Does anyone have a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that they could post for this?

I would like to have one for my file since it affects the warrantee.

I do all my own oil changes using synthetic oil and don't want to have a service denial if I can't document changes every 3500 miles.
Can you tell me how long it took for them to do your recall fix on the gas filler. And this recall fixes problems associated with filling the gas tank up right? Just wanted to know because I have to do that recalll on my car. And wanted to know how long I will be without a car. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:35 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its a little difficult to research a service bulletin without a number. Do you have the number?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:01 PM
kpiskin

These are the latest TSBs on the NHTSA site, but don't say anything about oil change service intervals:

Service Bulletin Num : 06009 Date of Bulletin: MAR 31, 2006
NHTSA Item Number: 10019613
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE

Service Bulletin Num : 06009 Date of Bulletin: FEB 08, 2006
NHTSA Item Number: 10019300

Service Bulletin Num : 04111 Date of Bulletin: FEB 03, 2006
NHTSA Item Number: 10010093
Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
cupcar

Originally Posted by drifter23
Can you tell me how long it took for them to do your recall fix on the gas filler. And this recall fixes problems associated with filling the gas tank up right? Just wanted to know because I have to do that recalll on my car. And wanted to know how long I will be without a car. Thanks in advance.
I brought in the car around 2 pm one day and it was ready at noon the following day. Two things to remember are that the tank has to be low on fuel and also if you have wheel locks they will need the key to remove the rear wheels.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
cupcar

Originally Posted by davidv
Its a little difficult to research a service bulletin without a number. Do you have the number?
No, I don't have a TSB number and actually don't know if there is really even a TSB out there about this issue. I would think the would be one though.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2006, 02:01 PM
showstoppertk

I brought in the car around 2 pm one day and it was ready at noon the following day. Two things to remember are that the tank has to be low on fuel and also if you have wheel locks they will need the key to remove the rear wheels.
interesting, they never asked me for my lug lock key.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Mathys

Here the interval for maintenance always has been 15000km or 10k miles. Maybe it's because we always drive with 98 Octane fuel or so, I don't know. Curious to know the reason behind the difference with us and you though....
Old 04-20-2006, 02:49 PM
showstoppertk

Originally Posted by MatH
Here the interval for maintenance always has been 15000km or 10k miles. Maybe it's because we always drive with 98 Octane fuel or so, I don't know. Curious to know the reason behind the difference with us and you though....
interesting, so does that mean oil changes are also recommended every 10k miles? sorry to get off topic, but how much does the average oil change cost in europe?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:35 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I doubt there would be a TSB on oil change interval for synthetic oil. Nissan does not endorse or recommend the use of synthetic oils. To quote the owners manual "NISSAN recommends mineral based oils."

If anything, the dealer is trying to get you to change oil more often, i.e. sell you the service more often.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:39 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Generally it is best to ignore anything after the service advisor told me...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:07 PM
jakesford

I usually go go around 6k miles on oil changes on the Z, I've been using royal purple and a K&N filter each time, so at $60 a change i want to get double the mileage.

I'm going to change my oil this weekend, I might try to save some in a clean container and get a sampling kit to have my oil analyzed... see what its like after a little over 6k miles.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 PM
stein

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I doubt there would be a TSB on oil change interval for synthetic oil. Nissan does not endorse or recommend the use of synthetic oils. To quote the owners manual "NISSAN recommends mineral based oils."

If anything, the dealer is trying to get you to change oil more often, i.e. sell you the service more often.

That's funny! My first oil change at the dealership, which was free, the service rep tried to tell me they recomend valvoline synthetic for the 350z, for and extra $37 of course and no interval difference. I got to find that in the OM and have it out for his next BS.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
ckny

i thought that was always around the suggested interval for synthetics
Old 04-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always change at 3000-3500 with synthetic and its dirty, now Im gonna do 2000-2500 with the turbo...no fing way Id ever let it go that far
Old 04-20-2006, 07:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stein
I got to find that in the OM and have it out for his next BS.
It's in chapter 9 "Technical and consumer information". Look for the section that starts with "ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER RECOMMENDATION". In the 2004 manual, it's on page 9-5, 4th paragraph.

Just like the members of this forum, the service advisers and technicians at each dealership have different opinions on dino vs synthetic. That's why some dealerships push it and others discourage it. I'd bet most of them couldn't give you a technical reason to justify synthetic over dino - for them it's all marketing.

The senior mechanic at my dealer, who builds race cars outside his regular Nissan mechanic's responsibilities, told me it's a waste of money to use synthetics. He said if you use a good quality petro-based oil and change it regularly, that's the best and only thing you need for a long engine life. That's all he ever uses in race engines. If it's good enough for them, it ought to be good enough for my Z.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Novalondon

Cool

Mine, (03 Touring) goes in this Monday for the filler neck recall. I was told 4 to 6 hours is the time frame to do it when I made the appointment. Nothing was said about my leaving the Mc Gard key either.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:15 PM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
It's in chapter 9 "Technical and consumer information". Look for the section that starts with "ENGINE OIL AND OIL FILTER RECOMMENDATION". In the 2004 manual, it's on page 9-5, 4th paragraph.

Just like the members of this forum, the service advisers and technicians at each dealership have different opinions on dino vs synthetic. That's why some dealerships push it and others discourage it. I'd bet most of them couldn't give you a technical reason to justify synthetic over dino - for them it's all marketing.

The senior mechanic at my dealer, who builds race cars outside his regular Nissan mechanic's responsibilities, told me it's a waste of money to use synthetics. He said if you use a good quality petro-based oil and change it regularly, that's the best and only thing you need for a long engine life. That's all he ever uses in race engines. If it's good enough for them, it ought to be good enough for my Z.
Thx for the info. Too much hype about synthetic oil these days.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
tractng

Guys,

I thought I was the only one with the gas tank problem. I noticed the last month or so, I cannot get my gas tank to fill up like it used to.

Whats the actual problem behind it?

Edit: How far were you able to fill the tank. My is a few tick under the highest point. I used to be able go past the highest point.

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by tractng; 04-20-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 AM
drifter23

Originally Posted by tractng
Guys,

I thought I was the only one with the gas tank problem. I noticed the last month or so, I cannot get my gas tank to fill up like it used to.

Whats the actual problem behind it?

Edit: How far were you able to fill the tank. My is a few tick under the highest point. I used to be able go past the highest point.

Thanks,
Tony
The item that they replace in the gas tank is the shuttter valve. Here is the recall on this : http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-048.htm

Quick Reply: Nissan makes a change in recommended oil change interval