2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z or STI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:44 AM
tmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayankees2772
I just bought my z a few weeks ago at 19
Sorry to go OT but I just have to ask a serious question.

I am sure that some of you have rich parents which answers this question and of course that is okay with me but for the rest, how were you able to save enough to afford to buy a 350z at 19?

Also, how do manage to cover the cost of premium gas and the insurance when you are in College?

I know you have part time jobs but I can not see how you could have saved THAT kind of money whenever you started 'car saving' to pay for a car this expensive with cash.

The reason I ask is that my son is getting his learner's permit in one month (so he is almost 16) and he says he wants to ultimately buy the V8 Mustang(that car is all he has talked about since he was 14 and he reads C&D).

I am going to buy him a very used Civic when he gets his license but the rule is that he has to work to pay for gas and insurance and if he wants to keep playing Lacrosse then the grades better stay above a 3.5 or the car keys go in my pocket.

So he kind of starts with a clean slate financially except for paying for the insurance.

He has been saving every dime he gets since I finally got it through his thick skull when he was 14 that HE was going to have to save if he wanted an expensive car like the V8 Mustang cause I was not going to buy it.
I have to deal with the whole College Tuition thing.

There is no official time frame for the Mustang but I gurantee you that it will be no earlier than 19 years old because I want at least 3 years of driving experience before he owns a car that has the kind of power that we talk about in here.
I ought to know cause I have a 2005 350Z.

So, how does one find the type of part time job that allows one to save enough to buy a Z that costs $4K more than the Mustang, keep up the grades in school and play sports?

I have done the math to help him figure it out but I am drawing a big fat blank.

Thanks for any replies cause 1) My son reads this forum and says "see, there are plenty of under 20 year old owner's of expenive cars luke you have and 2) I can't see how one can possibly save enough with a part time job to buy this car.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 AM
MoJ

Originally Posted by tmb

I am sure that some of you have rich parents which answers this question and of course that is okay with me but for the rest, how were you able to save enough to afford to buy a 350z at 19?

Also, how do manage to cover the cost of premium gas and the insurance when you are in College?

I know you have part time jobs but I can not see how you could have saved THAT kind of money whenever you started 'car saving' to pay for a car this expensive with cash.

The reason I ask is that my son is getting his learner's permit in one month (so he is almost 16) and he says he wants to ultimately buy the V8 Mustang(that car is all he has talked about since he was 14 and he reads C&D).

I am going to buy him a very used Civic when he gets his license but the rule is that he has to work to pay for gas and insurance and if he wants to keep playing Lacrosse then the grades better stay above a 3.5 or the car keys go in my pocket.

So he kind of starts with a clean slate financially except for paying for the insurance.

He has been saving every dime he gets since I finally got it through his thick skull when he was 14 that HE was going to have to save if he wanted an expensive car like the V8 Mustang cause I was not going to buy it.

There is no official time frame for the Mustang but I gurantee you that it will be no earlier than 19 years old because I want at least 3 years of driving experience before he owns a car that has the kind of power that we talk about in here.

So, how does one find the type of part time job that allows one to save enough to buy a Z that costs $4K more than the Mustang, keep up the grades in school and play sports?

I have done the math to help him figure it out but I am drawing a big fat blank.

Thanks for any replies cause 1) My son reads this forum and says "see, there are plenty of under 20 year old owner's of expenive cars luke you have and 2) I can't see how one can possibly save enough with a part time job to buy this car.
- I doubt they're paying cash @ 19. I.e. - anyone can make payments. (of course there's always the exception)
- Some may not be in college and instead have a full time job.
- Some may be in college but working a large number of hours to make ends.
- Some may have a part time job but very few other living expenses - parents pay rent while they're in school, still live at home, etc.
- Parents/grandparents paid for it.

If your kid is reading this tell him not to restrict his future life decisions by tying himself to a car payment. It appears you already know that though so I'm probably preaching to the choir.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with these comments - they're only my opinion.

Last edited by MoJ; 04-22-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoJ
- I doubt they're paying cash @ 19. I.e. - anyone can make payments. (of course there's always the exception)
- Some may not be in college and instead have a full time job.
- Some may be in college but working a large number of hours to make ends.
- Some may have a part time job but very few other living expenses - parents pay rent while they're in school, still live at home, etc.
- Parents/grandparents paid for it.

If your kid is reading this tell him not to restrict his future life decisions by tying himself to a car payment. It appears you already know that though so I'm probably preaching to the choir.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with these comments - they're only my opinion.
i know a few kids who basically work just to pay for their car. infact my sister who goes to college full time works part time to pay for her integra which she bought new a few years ago. she gets loans to pay for her schooling. yes its very retarded but they are still kids. when they look back on it, they will realize how dumb it was.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Zeroshift

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IronMedic
insurance: 350z
performance: STi

seeing u are 19, get the 350z.

LMFAO thats what i was thinking of writing down, good job ironmedic you simply broke it down in simple terms props for thta
Old 04-22-2006, 01:55 PM
doe_inc

Its funny how fellow Z owners, play their cars to be so slow.

Sure the STI can be modded to be crazy fast, but so can the Z. (Its all about money, and if you cant afford to mod your car you should have not bought a 30k+ ride.)

Stock for Stock its not that much faster. (And a female passanger isnt going to tell the difference, plus my STI friends love the feel of the RWD when the tail is sliding.)

I have friends with EVO's & STI's, and whenever we go out to clubs they never want to drive. Simple because nothing in the sub 40K price range is sexier than a Z thats lowered, tinted, with rims that have a fat lip.

Anyone can make a fast car, but do you really think those AWD Boxes are going to be classics?

****Another thing about the looks*****

Last night I was at the RED BUDAH LOUNGE in Hollywood. normaly parking is $25 or $75 to park it infront of the lounge..........The promoter parked my Z and a Lotus EXIGE out front for FREE. And trust me there were more expensive cars that could have been placed.

Last edited by doe_inc; 04-22-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:19 AM
LIdrew

I want both cars! I have Test driven the STi Numerous times at different dealers. I really like the car. It is more practical than the Z, especially in snowy areas like NY where I live. In Stock form it is quicker, but not as much as everyone makes it out to be. Most real life drag racers get only slightly better times than Z drivers do, but not like drag times are the be all end all of a cars worth. For around 2k dollars the STi can be at 300 WHP. Not bad. Can't do that with the Z. The Z will be easier and cheaper if you want big HP #s say over 500 because of its bigger displacement. The Z is a very well rounded car, quick and absolutely Beautiful looking and sounding. There is nothing like a Z with a nice set of wheels and a small drop. It will still look good 15 years from now. One I'm done paying for my Z, I will probably get an STI or another 4cyl turbo AWD car as a daily driver. I think the Impreza will be redesigned again soon.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:28 AM
350ztoronto

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
Yeah... "warm" miami days huh? It's only April and its 90 degrees outside... By July this year, its going to hit triple digits. Even if my Z was a convert, I'd still be rolling w/ the top up in the summer. Winter, for sure. Summer, no thanx. Lol, God I love and hate Florida at the same time!

I am 20, jus' got my Z a couple months ago. I had a choice between a whole lotta' cars. S2k, Z, STi, Evo, Mustang GT, RX-8, to name a few. I chose a Z, and never looked back, nor have I ever regretted it.
The Z is a heavy car, so it doesn't perform quite as well as some other similarly priced cars out there, I think we can all agree on that. But a car is not all about performance. The Z has looks and flair that no other sports car out there in the price range has, IMO. You can say, "My STi can beat ur Z!" all u want while I drive off w/ the blonde in my passenger seat while you have the little boy in urs. Like a previous post said, you can't always upgrade the looks and flair of a car, but u can always upgrade the performance. Get the Z, u wont regret how u feel in it... and if ur **** about max performance for ur buck, save some money and mod it a bit.. trust me it will be all the performance u need for the street.
+1000
Old 04-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this thread got moving fast. 1st to all of you 18-19yr olds who bought the Z to get girls... you bought the car for the wrong reason. Whats the matter don't have enough confidence in yourself to pick up chics without the Z? Now to the original poster since you are 19 I say get whatever you feel like. Don't listen to anyone here because its your choice. If you give alot of rides to your friends and always have alot of stuff in your car, then get the STi. If you ride alone most of the time and dont care about trunk space or back seats, then get the Z. The does look better but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:37 PM
EndersMx6

I have to jobes one which is full time and another that i do after. Thats how i pay for my car. Its not impossible, its all about what u want more. U have to give up some things for the pleasure of others.

Last edited by EndersMx6; 04-23-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:41 PM
EndersMx6

So many people think all the 18 year olds, 19 year, and even 20 year olds are all spoiled and get everything for free. Just cuz were not old doesn’t mean we don’t work hard and strive for nice things. That some how a nice car is not for us. I have given up a lot of things for my life style, as we all know "there is no free lunch." I am a full time student taking 15 units working towards a business admin. Degree. I work two jobs one which I work 40 hours a week from 6:30am to 3pm at my hotel as a front desk agent then I go to my 2 job were I work for another 6 hours from 4pm to 10pm as a server at a restaurant. On the two days I have off are the days I go to school were I get up and go to school at 6am because I have an hour drive just to get to school. My first class starts at 7:30am, and my last class does not end till 10pm. Now I pay for everything. I don’t believe in hand outs. Now my schedule is a little over the top but I didn’t go out and buy this car cuz I wanted to pick up chicks or race any dumb *** for kicks and get killed, I have a beautiful girl friend who I have been with for fare longer then I have had this Z. We get are license at 16 so we have been driving for a fair amount of time. I do agree that that u should have at least 2 years under your belt with your driving till u decides to go out and get a car of this type. But just cuz were young doesn’t mean were stupid...with some exceptions. I hope I am not just wasting my time with this but I do think so people have to give a little more credit to the people who work hard for what they want and most of all what they deserve. Age isn’t a factor its responsibility.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
garrettjj

Originally Posted by tractng
The STI is fugly!!!

How can you dispute the look

tony
Yes overall I agree, the Z is the better looking car. My point really was that looks are subjective and there are some styling points I like on the STI that are unique and exciting.

I don't think it's as ugly as some would say. But hey even if that is the consensus of others--it's so much fun to drive it doesn't really bother me.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Daishi39

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
You can say, "My STi can beat ur Z!" all u want while I drive off w/ the blonde in my passenger seat while you have the little boy in urs.
HAHAHAHAH that sounded so wrong...........
Old 04-23-2006, 08:20 PM
dye

My friends STi gets more looks from 15 year old boys thant it does from girls. I got the Z because of the I think it looks better. You can hear all the opinions and read all the perfomance specs, but the only way to determine what car YOU like more is to test drive both of them. What diffrence does performance make if you dont like the car
Old 04-24-2006, 09:06 AM
doe_inc

Mod your Z, if you want it as fast as an STI or EVO.

Dont give two ****s if the STI is cheaper to mod.

The point is the Z is a 30K+ car, If your too broke for mods you should have bought a Civic or Scion.

I think the problem is alot of the Z owners on this Board had either their parents buy the car, or purchased a used highly discounted car , or bought base and using their whole pay check towards the car .

Which means both drivers in these case's didnt have 30K+ money.

This is why there is a big difference between the FI owners and the owners scraping pennies together to buy a JWT popcharger.

If you dont have alot of cash for Mods and dont care about looks buy the STI.

If you want a sexy car in the sub 50K price range, buy a Z.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:15 AM
dmullane

Originally Posted by tmb

In response to this, I am 19 and now choosing between the STI and 350Z. My last car was a very used 1998 honda accord 4 banger with 70k miles on it. I'm able to afford one of the 2 because I was taught to invest early so I made money in stocks before I even knew what I was doing, as well as receiving an insurance check for my flooded accord thanks to hurricane Katrina (seriously thanks bc i would still be driving that piece) and the car will be 2 years used (to offset depreciation). The premium gas comes straight from my paycheck and insurance from my parents. A little money for the car is being supplied from my parents because I go to UM totally free (except room and board). Next year however I will be commuting so I am literally the luckiest person in the world to be getting a 35k a year education for free. I guess when I look at it I am really lucky and I am thankful.

If your son really wants to have money for nice cars such as the Mustang (not as nice as the Z though) show him this bit of information and he WILL be a millionaire by time he's old:

Lets say Tom saves 4k a year from the time he is 22 until hes is 35 in an account that generates 10%. He will have 98K at age 35. Then he stops contributing the 4K and leaves the money alone (stops adding 4k a year and lets it sit) until he is 65 in that same account generating 10%, when he turns 65 he will have $1,711,496 from that 98k. Another guy who starts saving 4k a year from age 35 to 65 in an acct that generates 10% will only have $657,960. IF he wants his cars & money teach him that.

BTW guys thanks for the replys, I think im going with the Z, a much nicer car when all is said and done.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by dmullane
Lets say Tom saves 4k a year from the time he is 22 until hes is 35 in an account that generates 10%.
Damn, show me an account that earns 10% a year!!!

But regardless, have fun with whatever you get. It's cool that you're responsible enough to save your money and take insurance and all the other stuff into consideration as well. Kudos.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:10 PM
EndersMx6

For sure!! i have not seen anything with 10%
The highest iv seen is through my CD's and my Tips/Bonds.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 PM
EndersMx6

For sure!! i have not seen anything with 10%
The highest iv seen is through my CD's and my Tips/Bonds.
And thats like 5-6%
Old 04-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Miko

^^ LoL! Things just don't work that way...
Old 04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
cj350

Sti for speed and get attention from high school boys

350Z for speed and looks and attention from all hot females (even grandmas from what I understand reading anothe thread)

Quick Reply: 350z or STI?