Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Seeking legal advise against a dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 AM
trackmjt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

part of thier job is to test drive your car after doing work like you had done. You are being a little unreasonable in my opinion. You take these chances anytime you take your car to the dealer, if you don't like it then go to a private shop or maybe you should have waited at the dealer and kept an eye on them. I feel your pain on the matter but lets get real, if they didn't damage the car you don't have a leg to stand on. They are protecting themselves. After removing the rear end would you only want them to drive your car a half a mile or not at all before giving it back to you? What if they didn't test drive it after and something happened that they could have fixed if they drove it first, would you not go back to them and complain then also? Let them do thier job and make sure you have them instect the car with you for damage when you drop it off and when you pick it up. If you don't want someone to drive your car, don't hand the keys over to them.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:17 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I was just overly grumpy yesterday but to include asking for "legal advise" in a post over someone at a dealer putting 10 miles on a car with no known damage did, and does, strick me as being ludicrous.

Perhaps I did not need to add the baby picture though! LOL!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Z_freak

10 miles is a little excessive for a test drive so i would be a lil pissed also, i guess you have to ask yourself, "what do I want from this" and "how far do I want to take it"...it could end up being like the old complain at the restaurant so the next time they spit in your food....i don't know...some free oil changes would be kool....i guess..it's obvious you are very **** about your car because you have spent alot of time and money on it, i have found that there are is a small percentage of people that respect that so to others you just come off as being an egotistically a-hole(not that i am saying that).....i suggest that if you are going to continue to do business at that dealership and you have a good rapport with the service manager than talk to him and work something out....like you said, some oil changes or something....make sure the punishment you emit on Infiniti fits the crime...
Old 04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
tonio

Originally Posted by trackmjt
part of thier job is to test drive your car after doing work like you had done. You are being a little unreasonable in my opinion. You take these chances anytime you take your car to the dealer, if you don't like it then go to a private shop or maybe you should have waited at the dealer and kept an eye on them. I feel your pain on the matter but lets get real, if they didn't damage the car you don't have a leg to stand on. They are protecting themselves. After removing the rear end would you only want them to drive your car a half a mile or not at all before giving it back to you? What if they didn't test drive it after and something happened that they could have fixed if they drove it first, would you not go back to them and complain then also? Let them do thier job and make sure you have them instect the car with you for damage when you drop it off and when you pick it up. If you don't want someone to drive your car, don't hand the keys over to them.

10 Miles is excessive when you have twin turbos on the stock engine, I was VERY weary of who drove my car when I was in the same situation. I'd be very pissed if this happened to me, I gave the same instructions with exception of the lift thing.

Car wash because they use chemicals that can/will ruin the finish on Volk polished lips plus their car wash left swirl marks on my black coupe.

No excessive driving because if something goes wrong I want to be behind the wheel.. what if Narkotics engine blew during that ten miles? Or started overheating? Its not like they could just take the car in the shop and fix it, 9 times out of 10 the dealerships didnt know what they were doing as it pertained to an aftermarket turbo kit.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so they did a test drive to make sure they reassembled the rear end correctly so your rear-end didn't fall apart while you drove away. There is no apparent damage to the car and the job was, as far as I can tell, completed to the necessary requirements. What exactly did they do wrong, as far as you can tell? What can you possibly sue them for?

How long have you been TT? How many times have you punched it hard? How many times could you do that in 10 miles without attracting too much attention? What kind of streets are around this dealership? Is it a highway with high-volume traffic? Quite backroad? Is there a way to turn around quick, or would you maybe have to go out of your way to turn around?

For someone as **** as you are about your car (not that I blame you), I'm suprised the first thing you didn't do was find out WHO was working on your car and WHO took it out for the test drive, if thats what it was. Find out exactly

Quite honestly, with no proof anyone did anything wrong, your being quite speculative. I understand and somewhat sympathize with you, but you also took a risk in going to the dealer everytime you went, even if you had a form of verbal agreement with the manager. I would just be happy that nothing happened to your car (double and TRIPLE check if you already haven't) and just let it go for now.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
narkotic

Thanks for the responses...

1. I never stated that they had to remove the rear end to get to the fuel line. That I have major doubts about. They know how **** I am about the car and would have told me that beforehand.

2. I can understand if they want to test drive it to -make sure- it's assembled correctly. But my requirement was for them to call me before they do so. Theres been another occasion where they had to do this and they called me first and I went on the drive with the tech. Obsessive? Perhaps.. I'ts my damn car and my money.

3. 10 miles??? Who here knows a tech that actually puts that much effort into testing. If anyone recalls, there are constant complaints against dealerships just for this alone. They will turn it on, go around the street and come back and say "well sir, I can't hear the noise!". 10 miles is alot if you ask me. Thats a good 5 or so freeway exits. Sounds like a nice joyride to me.

4. I do run the hell out of my car, and that is for me to do. I own it. But yes, tonio, what if that would have happened? Who knows.. I do know this. They DID reset my greddy gauges (peak memory). I thought it to be that they removed my battery. Nope. All radio settings were still there, and tuned to KIIS FM! Lets go crusin' wtih a TT g35 while bumpin' KIIS FM, a station not even in my presets I might add.

5. I didn't get the techs name working on the car or anything else for the matter because it was close to closing time for them and it was a skeleton crew. The service manager that I typically work with was not there. I am going to be calling him soon, that's for sure.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 PM
TK2005

This thread was ghey from the beginning. First of all, if your car is built to where you are scared to punch it or let someone else punch it, it isn't built right. I sell high-end cars and know lots of tuners. They will let me behind the wheel of a 1000+whp Supra or Viper and not even so much as give me a second glance, much less a demand list. I know that when people deliver the cars I sell that they enjoy the trip to the customer. No one cares as long as there is no damage. You guys are probably the type of guys that have an 03 Track model Z with under 10K miles. I know Lambo drivers that aren't as **** as some of the guys on this website. I let everyone drive my cars. I also own a shop and if customers like you guys come in with your demands, I politely ask them to take their cars elsewhere. We aren't going to call you to let you know we finished changing the oil and we would like to put the cap back on. Telling them not to wash your car is understandable if it isn't a place that deals with making your car look good. Telling them not to use a lift is absolutely ridiculous. I do agree that 10 miles is excessive for a test drive. We usually take it up the freeway and back through a quiet neighborhood to test at speeds and without noise but that trip is usually no more than 3-4 miles. Perhaps they did the work and went on a test drive and heard something was loose and making noise and they had to work on it again and put it back out on the road for a second trip to check it. There are plenty of legit reasons for it other than joy-riding. Get over yourselves. God bless the poor bastard that has to work on one of your cars when you start making big money.

Last edited by TK2005; 04-28-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:39 PM
lex350

Interesting thread. I live across the street. You want me to go over there and yell at them?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:06 PM
narkotic

LOL TK, I can't believe you spent that much time ranting, when it's evident you read absolutely nothing about my situation.

Here's where I politely tell you to get a life.

36k miles of abused twin turbo madness, kthx.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
___DJK___

Pete, PM Noel, he had Garden Grove Nissan put like 1200 miles on his car and do some damage to it. I know he sued them but I am not sure what he got out of it.

To be honest, I'd guess you probably cant do much considering it was "only" 10 miles, but I understand the fustration.

Performance Nissan did my fuel line recall work and I dont think there was even one extra mile on the clock.

Last edited by ___DJK___; 04-28-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
TK2005

Originally Posted by narkotic
LOL TK, I can't believe you spent that much time ranting, when it's evident you read absolutely nothing about my situation.

Here's where I politely tell you to get a life.

36k miles of abused twin turbo madness, kthx.
I read everything that you posted here at the site. You sir are a giant douche at best. Get over your $30K rebadged Nissan product. You told a shop to not put your car on a lift. I'll say that again so that you understand exactly what you did. YOU TOLD A SHOP TO NOT PUT YOUR CAR ON A LIFT, YOUR $30K NISSAN. You are telling people how to do their job. If you don't like the way that shop operates without your instruction, find another shop. You see, we run businesses that we built and make a living doing so and believe it or not we did it without your help. If you question the way someone else does business then do business elsewhere. It is really that simple. We have put Murcielagos up on lifts and the owner didn't have a thing to say about it. We have put Bentleys up on the same lifts. You sir, need to get a life. If your life is centered around an automobile (a $30K rebadged Nissan) then it is you that needs to find a life. If this car was such a stretch of your wallet that every little thing that happens to you is earth shattering then you should have got something cheaper. 36K miles of abused turbo madness huh???? What's 10 more miles? Don't concern yourself with how much time I spend on a rant because I type pretty fast so it isn't as much time as you may think. I am however concerned at the amount of time you spent and emotion you have gone through to let us know of the 10 miles that were put on your precious car. Cry me a fckin river but don't do it too close to your car. You don't want to get a spot on it.

Last edited by TK2005; 04-28-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
tclchicago1

damn i would be hella pissed off bro, **** if someone did that to my car and they gave me their word on my rules and broke it.. o all hell is gonna break loose.

do what you gotta do bro.. update us
Old 04-29-2006, 07:02 AM
narkotic

Alright TK I read just about the first sentence of your 2nd rant, quit, and then decided that you need some sort of medication.

Please, go about your business and quit mouthing off.

And thank you DJK, for adding that no "test drive" is needed for this recall issue. Granted, it's not 1000+ miles.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:05 AM
TK2005

Alright TK I read just about the first sentence of your 2nd rant, quit, and then decided that you need some sort of medication.

Please, go about your business and quit mouthing off.

And thank you DJK, for adding that no "test drive" is needed for this recall issue. Granted, it's not 1000+ miles.
Sure, Mr. Smooth. You read it all. You realized you're a pompous @$$.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:12 AM
angelico

I feel your pain, trust me the SOBs at my dealership after I had it there for 7 days tacked on 340+ miles
Old 04-29-2006, 07:21 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by angelico
I feel your pain, trust me the SOBs at my dealership after I had it there for 7 days tacked on 340+ miles
No, actually you felt more pain. You see, they put 10 miles on his car and didn't follow his instruction sheet. I hope he provided it in Spanish as well for our visiting friends. That may be what happened right there.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 AM
narkotic

Now you're out of line man. Please, quit while you're so far ahead of the rest of "us".
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 AM
EynonPower

Thumbs down

I definetly understand that people put greater care on certain things. Some are **** about their house, some about their car, and some about things like TV's and what have you. We're all different.

If I took my Z in for recall service, and found out they put 10 miles on it, i'd be a little upset. It seems kind of long for a test drive. I'd probally just ask why first and formost. If I get a blank stare, i'd see if I can grab a free oil change out of it. If I went to drive it, and there was a blown clutch, then we might have a problem.

I work with A LOT of car dealerships. Good ones, bad ones, everything from Kia to Mercedes/Audi/Porche. I talk to service writers and service managers constantly. If someone came in with an "instruction" sheet, it will probally not be followed no matter what dealership its at. I also hope you know they make fun of you behind your back.

The fact that you want them to call you before doing any driving or anything isn't that unreasonable. But don't put it up on a lift? Excuse me? You do realize that its not going to hurt your car, correct? Your taking your car to get worked on. How do you seriously expect them to do any kind of work? Hell, watch Pimp My Ride. See those Ferrari's and Lambo's on lifts? Yeah....its how work gets done.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with TK2005. Is your G35 nice, i'm sure. I'd love to take a TT G35 out for a serious spin. Should you care about your car? Of course. But in all honesty, you sound like a big douche bag. Nobody wants to hear how to do their jobs. Taking legal action? Good luck with that one, let me know how it turns out.

I hope you never spill coffee on yourself.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:20 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3. 10 miles??? Who here knows a tech that actually puts that much effort into testing. If anyone recalls, there are constant complaints against dealerships just for this alone. They will turn it on, go around the street and come back and say "well sir, I can't hear the noise!". 10 miles is alot if you ask me. Thats a good 5 or so freeway exits. Sounds like a nice joyride to me.

Arround here, 10 Miles Equals 10 Minutes of Driving.. That doesn't sound all that unreasonable when you think about it.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Sensation350Z

Ask yourself this:

Is ten miles worth ruining your already exceptional relationship with this dealership?

Quick Reply: Seeking legal advise against a dealership