Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

By turning VDC off, can you really tell a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:13 PM
mattduke1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default By turning VDC off, can you really tell a difference?

I know this may sound crazy, but I've never driven my 35th with the VDC off. However, I read where many here turn it off just as soon as you crank the car. My question is there really that much of a difference. And if so, what makes it so much better?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:19 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Even an easy launch in 1st gear, I can tell the difference between VDC on and off.

On, the engine kind of "lugs" when I get moving.

Off, the engine has plenty of power.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Juno

I don't have VDC, but I have TCS, and I can tell a huge difference between on & off. I hate when I forget to turn it off, engine makes a bunch of noise, but doesn't do anything fun.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:40 PM
ppith

Turning off VDC also allows you to alter the angle of your car during hard cornering using a combination of throttle and steering inputs. I'm not big into drifting due to tire costs, but it's fun to get the 350Z sideways every once in a while (really late a night, no traffic, on forgiving roads).
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

VDC and TCS work in tandem.

TCS will not allow the rear tires to spin. If you are drag racing, a 2.0 second 60-foot time will be next to impossible with TCS ON. So in essence, TCS inhibits acceleration.

In open road racing, VDC may hinder techniques such as side sliding. Side sliding in a turn is when the front and rear tires are sliding at the same rate. VDC sees this as a dangerous situation, and will apply brakes to one or more of the wheels.

Notice that I mentioned racing in both examples. On the street, I recommend VDC ON. There is nothing to win on the street. There is no trophy for first place.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:10 PM
CG 350Z

Very nice comment about that leaving it on when on the streets David, very smart and protects us all. There's nothing to gain but only your life to lose if something god forbid goes wrong.

TSZ33
Chris
Old 04-28-2006, 09:24 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post davidv
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Great post davidv!

I agree completely about VDC ON when you're on the street. I've only turned it off a couple of times -- when it's bare and dry -- just to see the difference when starting after a stop light.

We've actually run a few Solo runs with VDC ON, and the only really noticable issue is the pulling of power on exit from corners.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:34 AM
plumpzz

Heh I have enthusiast so i can only comment about TCS. Ive had my car for 6months ish and yesterday was the first time i ever shut off TCS. I guned it down a long off ramp from a highway (like 1/4th mile long..its long) and when i shifted, i felt a huge boost when i shifted. It was awsome, getting thrown into my seat. I never new TCS cut that much power. I want to try launching on a empty street w/ TCS off...ive always had TCS on and i'd get a drop in power as soon as i got on the gas.. TCS and VDC shoudl otherwise be on always. Safer..
Old 04-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I auto-cross, VDC/TCS off is a MUST.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
mattduke1

Wow, thanks guys for all the great comments. It will definitely stay on for the time being until I can replace these crappy potenzas that are bald as all get out, but when I get the new tread (i think i've decided on the kdw 2's, are they good?) I'll just have to shut it off for once and feel the additional power generated.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aah come on.

If you're asking the question, I have a feeling the VDC has never come ON yet. Meaning you wouldn't see a difference with it OFF since you're driving under its limits.

It's not like the car will be undriveable!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:32 PM
Zincognito

VDC is a lifesaver!! nuff said

G
Old 04-28-2006, 06:56 PM
bacalhau16

honestly, if you all feel that the VDC is safiest to leave on because of how you drive, then perhaps you shouldnt be drivng at all. I leave mine off all the time, i have complete control all the time. honestly too, if a car was to just jump out in front for some reason, and i needed to go around it, i would feel better with it off!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:08 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VDC can certainly help out in an emergency situation by allowing the car to do things that normally wouldn't be possible under pure driver control, but it can also f*ck you up when you're pushing the car and expecting it to do one thing, but VDC makes it do something else... All just depends on how you drive and what you want from it, as to whether or not it's an asset to you. Thats why there's thankfully an "off" button.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Juno

The only time I ever leave mine on is in rain. Otherwise, it's just annoying.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:28 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
honestly, if you all feel that the VDC is safiest to leave on because of how you drive, then perhaps you shouldnt be drivng at all.
To be blunt. That is just crap. European drivers have discovered that VDC has significantly decreased automotive mortality. And that includes Germany with a very demanding and regulated drivers education program.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:47 AM
bamyi

Let me take this into the other side of the table.

You WILL notice a difference with VDC & TCS when driving in harsh conditions such as snow. Just because its on, doesn't mean you can drive crazy either, it only helps so much.

Lets say you are doing 30 mph and the rear kicks out due to ice. TCS WILL kick in and put you back in a safe like. When this happens you won't be able to accelerate. Instead the systems releases the accelerator and applies the brakes. Only when it feels that the car is safe will you be able to have full control of the car again.

While it may cause other frustration, it also does serve it purpose.

Quick Reply: By turning VDC off, can you really tell a difference?