Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What's a nice wax for lazy people?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 04:03 AM
abz123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a nice wax for lazy people?

I know you won't get the same results as Zaino products.....but what the best you can get and spend less than an hour.

Last edited by abz123; 07-07-2002 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:17 AM
Pathy01

Default Maguire's Gold Class

Easy on, even easier off. Great shine, everyone I know that's used it loves it. Can't beleive how easy it is to apply and how good the results are. Can definitely do a car in your hour timeframe. Plus it's less than $10, and will last you probably 6-8 applications.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:30 AM
Brad4rdHay

Gold Class: no no. Not quite for the lazy person. Surface still needs to be prepped (as it is a pure wax with no surface cleaners) and only lasts about 4 weeks. The best product for you is Klasse All-In-One. It preps (polishes) the surface and lays down a layer of polymer sealant similar to that of Zaino. Will last you a good 4-5 months. The best way to prevent having to work on your car for hours and hours on end is to spread the wok over time. 20 min spent every week is uaually better than 12 hrs one day a year. Just wash it every other week. check out properautocare.com for the Klasse. Easier on/off than the gold class to. Highly recomended.

P.S Pathy if you are indeed talking about the plastic tin of Gold Class, then you should get WAY more than 6 applications, more like 20-30, dont need alot of wax on the surface...very little goes a long way.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Zymol is also very easy on and off. However like someone said, you still have to prep the car before any wax to get the best result.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:39 AM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nu Finsh states "Rated #1 by six leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value."

I looked up the Consumer Reports ratings for Auto Polishes and Nu Finish was in fact rated one of the best. They said it easy to use, provided a good shine and lasted a long time.

Zymöl was top rated for shine, but it's durabilty was very low (only lasted a few weeks).

Nu Finish: http://www.nufinish.com

KLASSE ALL-IN-ONE states the following. I could not find a review.

Klasse All-In-One polishes away oxidation and leaves a deep acrylic shine that can last for 6 months. All-In-One is not a wax, silicone or polymer but an acrylic formula. All-In-One bonds to the surface like wax but doesn’t penetrate or change the paint in any way. It matches the depth and clarity of a high quality carnauba wax but lasts much longer. One or two applications a year will keep your car looking great!

Usage: Klasse all in one is very easy to use. Simply wipe on and wipe off. No drying time is needed. Doesn’t haze or streak if there are water droplets on the surface. It contains no abrasives or silicones, and does not stain plastic, vinyl or rubber trim. It can be used on any non-porous surface and is also approved for marine and aviation use.

Klasse:
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/klasseallinone.html
http://www.autogeek.net/klasseallinone.html

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-07-2002 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:42 AM
principe

I just put 3 coats if Zaino on car and its looks great. Don't understand why people say its a lot of work .. it goes on easy comes off easy ... I spent a total of maybe 2 hours of real work putting on the 3 coats on my Maxima.

I've used Meguiars (spelling??) not even in the same ballpark!

Go with the Zaino...
Old 07-07-2002, 05:46 AM
Intrepid

But how is the durability of Zaino?
Old 07-07-2002, 06:06 AM
VandyZ

Before Zaino, I used Gold Class and Liquid Glass. In my opinion Liquid Glass was better, but it was hard to find. Now you can get it at PepBoys and Autozone.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:25 AM
principe

I've only had it on for a week so I do not know the long term durability. There is an article I read (can't recall the site) where a guy compared Meguiars, Zaino, Zymol and one other I cannot recall. In the end Zaino was the best finish and lastest the longest... If I find the site I'll post...
Old 07-07-2002, 06:41 AM
Brad4rdHay

Default run down

Polymer Sealants- last 4-7 months

Nu Finish-crap, dont use it. Loaded with solvents.

Zaino-great "slick" shine and feel, quite durable.

Klasse-VERY easy to use, great bright shine, also durable

Blackfire- AWESOME shine, ok durability for a polymer (3-4months).

Liquid Glass- havn't used it but hear (and seen) good things, inexpensive.

Wax-last about 0-3 months

One Grand Blitz: great all-arounder. Good shine, easy on/off, great durability for a wax.

Mothers-great over the counter stuff.

Meguiars-lot of marketing hype, but some good finds. Gold class looks good.

P21S-awesome shine, decent durability (1 month), expensive for most

Pinnacle- the absolute best shine, expensive, little durability (2-4 weeks)

Turtle Wax-not recomended.

Zymol- definately not recomended, all hype, dificult to use, little drability, way overpriced.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have some pictures that I think will blow you guys away. Ill post em later.

Last edited by Brad4rdHay; 07-07-2002 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:53 AM
Brad4rdHay

Heres a fellow detailer's black 993 with Pinnacle Souveran. Mind you, MUCH more goes into the shine than just the wax.
Attached Thumbnails What's a nice wax for lazy people?-attachment.jpg  
Old 07-07-2002, 08:14 AM
raceboy
Banned

I can go take a pic of my dirty black car and it will look just like that shine! Any time you focus on the reflection and not the actual paint surface you will get a pic like that.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:26 AM
2003z

Default thats the truth!

Originally posted by raceboy
I can go take a pic of my dirty black car and it will look just like that shine! Any time you focus on the reflection and not the actual paint surface you will get a pic like that.
Thats why any time I go to sell a car in auto trader, I try to make sure its dirty for their picture, otherwise its all glare
Old 07-07-2002, 08:37 AM
roberto350z

raceboy...I think you tend to offer negative opinions when they are unnecessary. Try and stay positive (maybe going crazy like the rest of us waiting for our Z's)

Anyway...it appears that most of this stuff is subjective. I know Zymol is pricey, and I couldnt ever figure why.

I use Meguiars Gold Class, and I think it offers a good shine, and Ok durability...but it is kinda hard to remove without a buffer

The best stuff I ever tried was at a pro paint and detail shop. They sold it usually in a gallon size, but they sold me a small bottle. It was their 'house blend' or some crap like that...all I know is this stuff was AMAZING. I think that getting that kind of stuff is the best solution.

ps I am lazy too, so an orbital buffer helps me out...
Old 07-07-2002, 09:02 AM
Brad4rdHay

For your info, that isn't a camera trick, that car was color sanded, buffed, polished and glazed. That is exactly what you see in person, trust me. In fact, it looks much better in person.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Pathy01

Default Gold Class hard to buff off???????

Are you using the liquid or the paste. I've used the liquid and it's really easy to buff off. It's almost wipe off as opposed to buff off. takes very little effort. here's a tip for everyone who's gonna wax, be sure to dress any black trim before waxing, that way if you accidentally get any wax on it, it'll be much easier to get off since it won't get into the plastic itself. Also, don't forget to wax the inside of the door jambs and hatch. Don't need to do this everytime, but if you do it once a year, and clean those areas everytime you wash, your car will continue to look brand new for years. Some may call me obsessive, but I detail everything, including weather stripping and seals, rubber grommets, wire casing, and everything else in the doorjambs. It makes all the different between a clean looking car, and a new looking car.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:50 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by rpgonzalez
raceboy...I think you tend to offer negative opinions when they are unnecessary. Try and stay positive (maybe going crazy like the rest of us waiting for our Z's)

Thanks for telling me how to think. I'll be sure to consult with you on all further posts to make sure it's shiny and happy enough for you!!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:21 AM
abz123

All these options are safe for clearcoats?
Old 07-08-2002, 01:22 PM
SunsetZ

Default Meguiar's/clear coat

I used Meguiar's Gold Class for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it is GREAT! It goes on and off easily, and makes a very deep dark reflective finish. Its full name is Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax, so yes it is safe for clear coats. I don't think I'll ever need to go to all of the trouble of Zaino with this wax around.