Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Doorsills too high / seats too low?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 03:15 PM
skooly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doorsills too high / seats too low?

Check out how high the doorsills seem. Are tall people the only ones who will be able to peer over the tops of the doorsills. Is it just the photograph? Can someone who sat in one comment on visibility? Can you comfotably ride with your elbow stuck out the window?
Old 07-07-2002, 03:35 PM
pekkle
Charter Member #20

people who've been in the car have said that the door sill is too high to rest one's elbow on while driving.

carl merritt says "resting your left elbow on the windowsill would require dislocating your shoulder."

http://www.sportzmagazine.com/Z_350Zarticle7_02.html

however, i'm sure these designs made it through for a reason, and i'm gonna reserve judgment on this characteristic until i get to test drive my car.
Old 07-07-2002, 05:59 PM
brackethead

I think Carl also said (in one of his follow-up posts on ZDriver) that he didn't mess with the seat adjustments. So it might be possible to adjust the seat height and therefore be able to rest your arm on the window sill. Pure speculation, though...
Old 07-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Pathy01

Finally, an advantage of being tall when it comes to cars. I guess being 6'2" is going to be a plus in the Z. About time there's a plus with a car that comes with being tall. Payback for all you short people (j/k) who fit comfortably in back seats and small cars.
Old 07-07-2002, 07:55 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

I've posted this before in several places but here it is again..I'm 5'8" on a good day and there is no way I could get my arm out the window..I sat in the car when it was in Buena Park..visability didn't seem to be a problem though...yes the tall guys are the winners on this one...
Old 07-07-2002, 07:58 PM
sschmuve

Unhappy Now I'm Worried

I'm only 5'8", will I be able to see over the doors?! I'm pretty confident Nissan designed the ergonomics with Japanese drivers in mind. But you never know. I may need to sit on a couple of books.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:10 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Stop worrying...you will be able to see just fine..if I can find a pic of me sitting in the car I will post it..by the way I did not adjust the seat height from the person that actually drove the car in..he was about 5'10' I would guess..Everythings cool
Old 07-07-2002, 08:20 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This person is 5'8". He said the visibility was fine. He liked how high the door came, because it made him feel safer in the car, and not like he was in a go-kart.
Attached Thumbnails Doorsills too high / seats too low?-me_in_chrome.jpg  
Old 07-07-2002, 08:30 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Thanks Scaf..tried to download my photo but size was too large..Oh well...story of my life
Old 07-07-2002, 08:35 PM
netviper

look at that picture. It looks like there is someone in the passenger seat and they can't see over the door. But seriously do you think Nissan is so stupid to make a car that only tall people can drive. I don't even think Hyundai is that stupid. But I know for a fact the passenger seat is real low.

Last edited by netviper; 07-07-2002 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:39 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

I sat in the car. Driving visibility from the side windows will be fine, but there is no way anyone will be able to comfortably rest his (or her) elbow on the window sill while driving or riding. The sill comes to the top of my shoulder while sitting in either the driver's or passenger's seat. I am 5'11." Someone 6'6" tall would have to slant the seat back even further to have sufficient headroom.

However, the arm rest on the door is at the perfect height. The car feels very comfortable. You feel like you are sitting in the cockpit of a fighter plane. We will just have to get used to the high window line and I am looking forward to doing just that..
Old 07-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Zmeflyby

i'm like 5'6 or 5'7..so i wonder if i'll have any problems...
Old 07-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Intrepid

The seat height adjusts up and down.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:12 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

OK...think this pic is downsized enough to fit
Attached Thumbnails Doorsills too high / seats too low?-pat-sz.jpg  
Old 07-07-2002, 10:30 PM
crayons

The seat height adjusts up and down.
Didn't someone say that only the front piece of the seat adjusts up or down for comfort of your thighs and legs, and that the actual seat does not change up or down to change the seat height?
Old 07-07-2002, 11:22 PM
ITZBITZ

This car is a sports car, not a hooptie. Keep your arms and hands in the vehicle at all times and pay attention to your driving.

10' and 2' o'clock, remember?

Get yourself a '64 Impala if you want to hang your arm out the window. Get yourself some hydraulics and you can weed the garden while you drive...
Old 07-08-2002, 01:42 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the REAL drivers say it's 3 and 9 O'Clock but who's counting?

Hey Pat, have you ever made an on-air appearance on Leno? I would think that with that face NBC would leap at the opportunity. Just think of the advertising $'s from the hair care and beauty products alone!

BTW, was that meatball sandwich gravy I saw on the front of your shirt?
Old 07-08-2002, 02:10 AM
Intrepid

BrianZ said:

The front of the seat can move up and down, not the whole seat. Combine that with tilting the seatback and effectively you can adjust the "recline" of the seat as a whole.

Car and Driver said: Seat adjustments: for and aft, seatback angle, front height.

6kLaunch Said:

The seats are firm but comfortable. The driver seat does NOT have a vertical adjustment. It has two electric switches at the base of the seat, one to adjust the angle of the back, and the other is forward/ rear adjustment. There is a round **** on the left hand side of the seat to adjust the angle of the base, more or less upper leg support. The driver was 6 foot 3 and had just enough head room, although any body taller would not work.

The right hand seat only forward/rear electric motion, no base adjustment, and a manual back angle adjustment. It was very roomy with great arm rests.

bgerber911 said:

I'm a measley 5'6" and had the pleasure at the Cleveland Auto Show of sitting in one, playing aroung a little with the inside cabin and doing an external walkaround. At 5'6" I'm quite happy with the seating arrangement.

Touring6MT_Z said:

I am also 5'6". I sat in the car when it was in Austin, Texas. Sure, compare to my current Maxima, the seat is a little low like any sport car, but I don't feel like I am in the bathtub.

I think this whole topic was blown out of proportion by Jeff15. If the seat height is the only issue between you and the Z, you always can modify the seat mounting bracket to raise the height a few inches. If there is no after-market "Seat Riser" kit available that will fit, you always can go to your local machine shop to have one custom made. How much could that cost compare to the price of the car?

My Conclusion after searching this board:

The seats are little low for a 5'5"-5'6" driver, but certainly acceptable. For shorter drivers, it may be more of a problem. In which case, the seat height can be raised at a shop (I would guess about $300 or so; Do it yourself, about $25).

Last edited by Intrepid; 07-08-2002 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:23 AM
Scafremon

I'd say that is a consensus.

Good recap Intrepid.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Doorsills too high / seats too low?