Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z N/A with +1,000WHP and on stock internals!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 350Z N/A with +1,000WHP and on stock internals!!!

Impossible ? From the engine, hardly…

That’s 1000 WHP from the brake system of course… Aha, gotcha !

I was bored and decided to figure out how much HP the brake system has to consume to slow the Z down. So I loaded my MidOhio telemetry and ran a power analysis, inverting the longitudinal accelerations, compared that with GPS speeds and using the car’s + me weight of 3413lb (weighted at MidOhio 20 minutes before that data was taken).

The power figures peaked at 1,336HP. Small wonder these things get hot! I figure that the aero drag was probably less than 50HP (speed at that peak moment where near 60mph on a slight up hill – The keyhole entry)

And just for the fun of it I looked at engine breaking. In forth gear at 93 mph, including aero drag, lifting from the throttle will translate to only 128HP.(Note that this figure has more aero drag in it than the 1336HP on, since speed where lower then. 93 vs 60mph)

128HP vs 1300HP for braking. That should convince pretty much everybody to forget about engine braking to slow down fast(er) and concentrate on the brakes themselves.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kolia; 05-10-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:04 AM
njsho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are the most powerful thing on a car. I once heard that the brake pedal is designed to be the strongest thing on the car. It has to stand up to alot of force in those "jab the brakes and pray for dear life kind of stops."
Old 05-10-2006, 05:27 AM
Kolia

Nah, the pedal is not the most reinforced part of the car.

The suspension mounts are pretty beefy. And the impact structures also.

Much more than the brake pedal assembly, which is basically bolted to the firewall. You can actually see the thing flex.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:31 AM
undercat

Originally Posted by Kolia
128HP vs 1300HP for braking. That should convince pretty much everybody to forget about engine braking to slow down fast(er) and concentrate on the brakes themselves.
Now is this directed at our previous discussion? That's some hella braking power though. Do you have a bbk or the stock brembos?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Kolia

LOL!

No, not directly aimed at that one

This is with stock Brembos with track pads and Toyo RA1s.

I was pretty far from threshold braking since I was running with no ABS for the first time. Didn't want to lock up the wheels... I got similar deccelerations with the Falken Azenis RT615.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

i always laugh at the people who post in here saying "i hit a _____ today in the Z". and when asked how it happened they say they were trying to downshift a couple of gears to help them brake. just stomp on the pedal!
Old 05-10-2006, 06:18 AM
undercat

why did you have your abs disabled? and what size tires are you running?
Old 05-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by undercat
why did you have your abs disabled? and what size tires are you running?
Toyo RA1
255/40R17 front
275/40R17 rear

About the reasons behind turning the ABS OFF, I’ll start a new topic in the MotorSport section. Basically, the car handled terribly with these tires and a stock suspension…
Old 05-10-2006, 07:02 AM
undercat

that's interesting, i definitly have to check that out when you post it up.

I imagine with those sized tires, you have much higher maximum breaking ability than on stock size tires.

also, i didn't know 17s would fit over brembos.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 AM
highside107

Interesting data.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:17 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by njsho
Brakes are the most powerful thing on a car. I once heard that the brake pedal is designed to be the strongest thing on the car. It has to stand up to alot of force in those "jab the brakes and pray for dear life kind of stops."
You probably are right, in engineering world, its called Factor of Safety and is fairly high number (2-5) for all critical parts & sub-assemblies. These parts are brakes, suspension, steering etc not just one part such as the brake pedal etc.

This means that they are majorly over-designed compared to the worst case loading conditions, they should not fail in any case.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:19 AM
spacemn_spiff

Impossible ? From the engine, hardly…

That’s 1000 WHP from the brake system of course… Aha, gotcha !

I was bored and decided to figure out how much HP the brake system has to consume to slow the Z down. So I loaded my MidOhio telemetry and ran a power analysis, inverting the longitudinal accelerations, compared that with GPS speeds and using the car’s + me weight of 3413lb (weighted at MidOhio 20 minutes before that data was taken).

The power figures peaked at 1,336HP. Small wonder these things get hot! I figure that the aero drag was probably less than 50HP (speed at that peak moment where near 60mph on a slight up hill – The keyhole entry)

And just for the fun of it I looked at engine breaking. In forth gear at 93 mph, including aero drag, lifting from the throttle will translate to only 128HP.(Note that this figure has more aero drag in it than the 1336HP on, since speed where lower then. 93 vs 60mph)

Cheers!

No wonder acceleration (decceleration) experienced in braking or cornering usually overshadows the engine powered accleration.

What gear were you in when you used engine braking to slow down? Most of the everday situations wont ever demand the need to use the extreme braking that you probably calculated, so engine braking is not braking per se, but more speed control. I wouldnt dismiss the use of engine braking completely.

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 05-10-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
No wonder acceleration (decceleration) experienced in braking or cornering usually overshadows the engine powered accleration.

What gear were you in when you used engine braking to slow down? Most of the everday situations wont ever demand the need to use the extreme braking that you probably calculated, so engine braking is not braking per se, but more speed control. I wouldnt dismiss the use of engine braking completely.
I was in fourth gear, low rpm for track use. But I might have been in top of third. I have to count the acceleration dimples to be sure. Most of the time I got in fourth gear at that corner entry.

I was refering to panic stop situations where maximum braking is needed. Many people on this forum (and others) firmly believe that down shifting will help.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 AM
Kolia

You probably are right, in engineering world, its called Factor of Safety and is fairly high number (2-5) for all critical parts & sub-assemblies. These parts are brakes, suspension, steering etc not just one part such as the brake pedal etc.

This means that they are majorly over-designed compared to the worst case loading conditions, they should not fail in any case.
Specifically to the automotive industry, we don’t want a super thought part in the car. We need to control the behavior of the various element of the car in the case of a crash.

Pretty much everything has to deform enough to dissipate the impact energy. A part too stiff will just transmit the energy to the next element.

For pedals, they have to yield to the weight of the driver to minimize leg fractures.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:00 AM
spacemn_spiff

Specifically to the automotive industry, we don’t want a super thought part in the car. We need to control the behavior of the various element of the car in the case of a crash.

Pretty much everything has to deform enough to dissipate the impact energy. A part too stiff will just transmit the energy to the next element.

For pedals, they have to yield to the weight of the driver to minimize leg fractures.
I have to think harder to understand your terminology, its definitely not a engineering terminology that I am used to.

I assume you are talking about crumple zones or crash safety, then that is a different design criteria. What I was referring to was mainly operational or fatigue - reversal or cyclic loading failures? A particular component can be designed independant or dependant failure modes based on either design criteria. That means that car crash failure could be different than operational failure.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Kolia

It’s not engineering terminology because we’re on a car guy forum and I don’t see the need to loose every body (including myself) in techno gibberish. I’d rather get the idea across than try to amaze the reader with fancy words.

Pure engineering forums exist for these kinds of discussions…

So, in keeping in with the context of us car guys I wanted to outline that the car is not designed to be as though as possible. It’s rather built as stiff as possible while still doing its job of keeping its occupant whole and alive in the case of an accident. Although the specific criteria varies from one manufacturer to another, for many of them safety comes first, even if performance has to suffer. This is true for the car’s white body at least. We don’t use safety factors either. We make it right, returning to the drawing board if simulations and tests shows our design to be inadequate.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:58 AM
undercat

I once heard that the brake pedal is designed to be the strongest thing on the car.
I think that is what they say on that Auto Brake Lock infomercial to convince people to buy it. Their argument is that the steering wheel is designed to colapse while the brake pedal is not.

Some brake pedals are designed to yield but I think that it's the whole brake system attached to the brake pedal (safty system sorta like when an engine drops down). It's kinda hard to design high strength steel like that found in a brake pedal to yield before human bone breaks. I did a quick search and saw that new Impreza's have this kind design.

I have to think harder to understand your terminology, its definitely not a engineering terminology that I am used to.
You shouldn't rag on someone just because he didn't use the "proper terms" that you are used to. that's something an undergrad in engineering would do just to show they actually learned something in class.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by undercat
Some brake pedals are designed to yield but I think that it's the whole brake system attached to the brake pedal (safty system sorta like when an engine drops down). It's kinda hard to design high strength steel like that found in a brake pedal to yield before human bone breaks. I did a quick search and saw that new Impreza's have this kind design.

Ah, were we talking at the actual arm of the brake pedal?

That would be a more accurate description!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
bbhiznors

Turbonator?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM
lex350

Bet you heard this from those old info commercials selling the brake locker, lol

Quick Reply: 350Z N/A with +1,000WHP and on stock internals!!!