Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

how to confront a car theft in progress

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:36 AM
CAN0802

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dkorr didn't post anything that most criminals don't already know. I could keep the type of alarm I have on my car, but even that is useless, because most of them have very similar features, all of which are very well known. If someone is going to steal my car, it will happen, but if I catch them in the act, I surely won't stand there and let them take it, I'll at least give it a good old college try.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:01 AM
pawnmarty

Default confront thiefs

i would just let a .40 cal hollowpoint confront the back of thier heads !!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 AM
iknowitsfast

Yanno on my other car i DID confront a thief that was actually inside my car....i was an idiot though....i pulled him out and commeced to beating the **** outta him. I broke his nose, i know that for sure but as i was going to choke him, he kicked me off of him ran into his Yukon and sped off. Dummy me didnt take a minute to think this lowlife may have had a gun. But be careful if you do confont a thief. good luck!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:38 PM
NightRida

Default ?

Originally Posted by Acidskie
If you find yourself in the position of catching someone trying to steal your car......

Option 1: Pull out the HK USP .40 and end them. Go to jail for murder. Ruin your life. Have a great impact on your family (seeing as you will be gone for some time). Try to avoid getting *** raped while you wait for your day in the electric chair.

Option 2: Wave goodbye as they pull out in your car. Call the cops. Turn it in on your insurance. Get a new car.

Let me think about this one for a bit. I mean it is such a tough decision after all.
Your reasoning is flawed!
Yes you should pull your glock out and tell him to freeze!
If he does not and even attempts to make a move towards you or for his pocket then let him have it! It's called self defense! As long as you follow
the basic rules of police engagement, youll be fine.
Just remember that the thief must have opportunity, motive and 2 other things. Maybe you police guys can refresh my memory on that 4 letter word that says it all!
Peace!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like that method that the police in Texas (I think thats the state) are using where they use a high theft vehicle as bait, then they stake out the car and wait for a thief to show up. then when some piece of **** car thief breaks in, they find out that they can't get out. although I think this is only a short term solution like killing that one roach you catch in your kitchen. I think they would be a lot more effective if they just tailed the thief to the chop shop and then busted the entire outfit. although I'm sure they couldn't do that since they would be putting the police dept at high risk for liability if the thief plowed into someone while stealing the car. too bad they can't just cover the inside of the car with anthrax or some chemical agent, that way it'll be like a combat roach trap
Old 05-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Acidskie

Ability, Opportunity and Jeopardy

Also keep in mind that in some states pulling a gun, but not using it is called "Brandishing". Doing so can cause you to lose your right to carry.

Last edited by Acidskie; 05-13-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:25 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by Acidskie
Ability, Opportunity and Jeopardy

Also keep in mind that in some states pulling a gun, but not using it is called "Brandishing". Doing so can cause you to lose your right to carry.
Doing so in the act of a crime should not carry any penalty.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:59 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW that ammo is monstruous. I thaught my Hydrashocks were pretty effective but these things can cause sudden death. Wonder if they are "law enforcement only"?

I have the same choice of handgun. Walther P99 .40 in German Police style (Black with olive green)

Danny

Originally Posted by Gering
I say let them take it and then let the cops find them because the car has LOJACK installed. Then you find out where the thief lives and deal with him with the Barrett 82A1 50 CAL. But if you like the 40 S&W "I have the Walther P99 40 S&W" check out http://www.extremeshockusa.com/
This stuff is GREAT!!!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:16 PM
dscheers

The UTEC has a map that will not let you start the car. Just hide the remote map selector somewhere out of sight.

Danny
Old 05-13-2006, 05:52 PM
IslandZavage

Hmmmmm.. I have insurance, so im not worried, the best thing to do is call the cops... And its not about being a *****, its just a car...why risk it..But i have to admit in the heat of the moment i would probably grab my .45, scare them, and then call the cops.... At least thats what i did when i caught some trying to get in my integra.. Dumbass dropped his wallet while running away.. Cops loved that one...they went to his house... end of story..

Last edited by IslandZavage; 05-13-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Only cheap auto alarms don't set off the alarm once they see a voltage drop.
A lot of the better alarms have backup batteries as well. If you buy a good steering wheel lock you'll protect your air bag from theft as well. Additionally, if you buy a brake/steering wheel lock and use it in conjuction with the above it add even more security.

If the above is too much trouble. Drive it with the factory alarm, park it in well lit area with a lot of people around. Then hope that if you car does get stolen you'll have enough saved up to pay the difference between your Z and a new Z.

If a professional thief wants your car he can steal in in under 60 seconds. Truth.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 05-13-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I park my car locked in a locked garage. Second off I'm sure I'd find something to distract a kid with a screw driver ... (which is concidered a deadly weapon) ...

Anyone breaking into an occupied home and brings a screw driver to a gun fight is a fool. Here in California anyone breaking into an occupied home is concidered to be there to cause bodily harm. A home owner shooting such a burglar is concidered to be not guilty by default.

At work I park in a lot covered with cameras, armed guards, a chain link fence with barb wire and concrete K rails all around - it's a DoD facility which requires a conditional access card and a pin to get though the gate.

I routinely carry a fine Smith and Wesson pistol and more importantly I'm a hell of a good shot with it.

Around the house the nearest pistol is a wonderful Springfield Armory M1911A1 mil-spec .45.

Stealing cars is a heck of a way to make a living if you run into the wrong guy.

I took down a kid stealing my neighbor's car a few years ago when I lived in San Diego. The guy was all up under the dash trying to short out the ignition to get the thing to start. He was high as a kite on meth and kept popping his head up looking for someone who might have seen him. I snuck up on him while my wife continued to talk with the police. I crept up on him and caught him without having to even point the weapon at the guy. Ends up that he lives on the next block over. Sad.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:33 PM
pacificwindsurf

Default car jackings

Originally Posted by kalima275Z
You've got to be kidding right? You're going to let someone steal your car from you?

Hilarious.

I don't agree with letting the theives take the car. Growing up we were all told to just give someone whatever they want so that we don't get hurt, but think of the 9/11 hijackers and how they took the planes. I also know someone who was car jacked, and she was injured in the process.

I think we should try to get out of there as fast as possible WITH the car. That might mean fight back, or it might mean stomp on the gas, but I would not "do as they say."

I also think it is important to have your key ready as you approach the car, and to get in, lock the doors and start the engine as soon as possible so that you are not in a vunerable position for very long.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:23 AM
h8rain

I have gap and full coverage on my car. I do have guns in my house, I am know I could easily take a theif down from my second story window, but its not worth the trouble I would have to go through in court if I did kill them, because my car is not "in my house". Now if a burgler broke into my house, no question, I would shoot them, because that is risking the safety of myself or my wife. But I would probably go for the knees first, unless I saw they had a gun.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:56 PM
dscheers

Originally Posted by h8rain
I have gap and full coverage on my car. I do have guns in my house, I am know I could easily take a theif down from my second story window, but its not worth the trouble I would have to go through in court if I did kill them, because my car is not "in my house". Now if a burgler broke into my house, no question, I would shoot them, because that is risking the safety of myself or my wife. But I would probably go for the knees first, unless I saw they had a gun.
Some police officers and lawyers have told me that it's better if the court just hears one story, yours....
Old 05-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Genea

Default Theives don't dial 911

Just thought I would let you all know that a family friend and a Sgt. with the local PD told me that the only reason you here just give it to them is because the average person does not know how to handle themselves in this type of situation. However, he did say when you do and do something to the bad guys they never call the police and say I was stealing this car and the own came out and beat the crap out of me.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I've already confronted 5 guys jacking with my previous vehicle. 3am, called 911, went outside with the Glock 9mm. 4 guys fled. Told the other to freeze. Told him to stay put or I would "stop him". Waited for police. It's unfortunate to have thugs vandalize your property that was paid for by hard work. I'm already over 16k in mods. No offense to the few, but it's not "just a car". Sure, there are situations one has no control over but when you do have a say so in it it's time to man up. There's nothing wrong with protecting your property. Any deterants added to a vehicle will never be wasted. Sure there's always ways to defeat alarms, wheel locks, steering column locks, ect... but why make it easy for a thief? Not every thief carries around wheel lock breakers. Not every thug has the right tool for the job. Even if they did, it may not be worth their time trying to defeat all the additional security placed on the vehicle. 2-way pagers are excellent. All you need is the initial page to go though, and you're alerted. The additional few minutes it may take them to circumvent the other security devices may make the difference between the owner being able to respond to the crime or not. I once had a guy at work tell me, "they can get behind your panels to steal your amps with a jigsaw. You'd be surprised at what they carry." I told the guy that a hand granade could also break through my panels but what percentage of thieves actually carry around tools like that. It ludicrous to give a thief that much credit. I've also heard this common statement, "If a thief wants it there gonna get it." Well heck, if this is the case we might as well leave the keys on the front seat with the windows rolled down. Personally, i won't hesitate to confront a thief. I would also not hesitate to shoot a thief if the circumstances were right.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Built2shredZ

Safest thing to do is just get a two way pager and lo-jack. If your pager goes off take a look, if your car is gone or guys are in the process of breaking in just call the cops and tell them your car has lo-jack and let them handle it.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Joepa

I think the best thing to do is to get Chuck Norris' phone number, put it on speed dial on your cell phone, and call him so that he can deliver a devastating roundhouse kick to the throat of the thief.

Seems like the best option to me.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:34 AM
C4talyst

In the heat of the moment, it's a total judgment call. If I have the drop on the bad guy, and the element of surprise, he will take two to the chest.

I've had a CCW for 5 years, had never drawn on anyone until about two months ago. I was heading into work and came up on a slow moving minivan in the left lane. I went to pass and a slower moving truck in the right lane deliberately sped up to not let me over. Having the advantage, I passed anyways, slightly cutting the guy off who deserved it as far as I'm concerned.

Less than a half mile down the road we come to a stoplight, he gets out with a pipe in his hand and approaches my vehicle. When he got to within 6 feet of my window I leaned out and pointed a 9mm right at his chest, asking if there was a problem here.

His surprised reaction was priceless.

Quick Reply: how to confront a car theft in progress