Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Some of you might find this an interesting read...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 01:33 AM
Droppin_Gears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some of you might find this an interesting read...

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...threadid=33552

A debate going on, between myself and a few board members. I asked for some opinions on if I should trade/sell my RSX Type S to get the 350z. Most agree I should, while some debated if the car is worth it, etc.

As you will notice I'm Uncleben's on there. I have that name as I like to make fun of "ricers".(Note: when I say rice, I use it as a term to make fun of people that put type R badges on and such, not as a racial derrogatory slang towards asians).

Thought some of you would like to share some imput or find it a good read.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:38 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

It seems to me that a lot of people don't like ther RSXs. Although I've only test driven one (type S btw), I really like the car out of the box. I know that mods are a different thing but if I were looking for a sporty 2 door in the 20k range to toot about town I'd think about one.

At the end of the day if you don't decide on a 350Z, you've still got a nice little car on your hands that will hold it's value real well.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:56 AM
Droppin_Gears

Ahh, yes, I do love my car. The one thing that is really great about it, is as you stated, the ability to keep a good re-sale value.

Thing is, as stated in the thread in the link, I wanted a RWD Sports Car. The Camaro SS was the target, the Insurance Company was my dream's assasin. I could have went for a z28 perhaps, but eh they are a dime a dozen around here, as with Mustang GTs.

The 350z... Louisiana, umm there aren't too many people in this state that are car enthusiasts. I think of Louisiana as a mini florida. A lot of older people here that are retired. It is the poor man's florida. Wish we had beaches like Florida =). Seriously, if you aren't in Baton Rouge or New Orleans, it is all pretty much industry and retirement. So, I'd be unique with the car, and getting what I want, an affordable RWD Sports Car.

If I don't get it, yes I'll have my RSX Type S, a very nice car. It would only be time that I saved up and got the 350z and kept the RSX, though. That is the only thing holding me back, I just got this car 6 months ago. I'd end up getting the 350z in around the end of the year if I ordered it pretty soon, so after a year I'd sell the Acura. It would feel weird to buy and sell a car within such a short time, but moving on to bigger and better things as they say.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:46 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Droppin_Gears (aka UncleBen's):
Interesting thread on the RSX forum. It's interesting that instead of being flamed by rabid loyal RSX fans, several people agreed with you to go for the 350z.

I noticed you said you got three tickets for seatbelt violations. None of my business, but why don't you wear a belt? It can save your life, and once you get used to putting it on it's so automatic that it's no hassle. I don't feel right driving unless I'm strapped in! Airbags on their own won't save you -- they are designed to be used with the seatbelts!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:02 AM
Droppin_Gears

Actually I do always wear my seatbelt, I feel as you do about them. They are there for a reason, to save or help save your life in the unfortunate event that you get in an accident. If not save your life, prevent further injury, or injury at all.

They were not seatbelt tickets in reality, but that is what they were written as. I called in a few favors and/or talked very politely to the officer and was able to get my ticket reduced to a seatbelt ticket.

Talking very politely and being mature about being pulled over will go a long way. I actually wouldn't have gotten 2 out of the 3 tickets at all, but they talked with me after the ticket was written, and if a ticket is written it can't just be torn up, it has to be accounted for.

There is only one officer I will not give respect and be polite to, I give him a firm yes or no. This guy knows my father, and hates him and myself for a very stupid political type reason. Any time he sees me on the road, he will do whatever he can to pull me over. It is actually quite funny while being annoying, because the chief of police in that town will take care of any tickets he writes me because he knows that they are basically made up reasons. Thankfully, he has stopped pulling me over, if he would have kept it up I think I would have had to file a harassment charge against him.

Sorry, kind of rambling there, but yes the clubrsx.com community is very mature and supportive of wise decisions for the most part =).
Old 07-08-2002, 07:09 AM
2003z

Default as long as you are prepared to lose

several thousand dollars and you can afford to do so, I say go for it. I go through cars left and right, so I know of what I speak. You are best off selling the car outright instead of getting raped at trade in. btw, anyone want to buy a sweet sportcross? As my wife told her mother earlier when she was admiring the Lexus, all of our cars is for sale at any time if someone wants them! (well maybe not the Z, at least for a little while)
Attached Thumbnails Some of you might find this an interesting read...-02-is300.jpg  
Old 07-08-2002, 07:18 AM
Droppin_Gears

The thing you have to worry about with selling outright, is the increasing amount of a sales tax you would pay. Also, I might be able to swing a deal with a local nissan dealer, where if I sell my car, the paperwork goes through them, I give them a little commision. That would give me the tax benefit of a trade in, while they make money, and I get more money than I would trading it in. I am prepared to take a hit, though. I was looking at financing it and such, but I think I will go through my father, have him pay the difference and pay him monthly installments. That way I save myself on the APR.

I've worked out a win win situation for my father, myself, and the dealership on buying the Z, and selling the RSX. Now to talk with the dealership to see if they will swing for it, and I'm pretty sure my father will swing for it, but I'll make sure.

I have to say that I will feel safer driving the Z, and a lot happier. The having to drive my car like I hate it to get good performance is getting annoying fast. With the smooth powerband of the 350z, if I decide to give it a little bit of the throttle, or take her to the track, I don't have to worry about high rpm launches and such to get in the powerband ASAP. So, my mind is made up, and I am one of the most hard headed people to live on this planet =).
Old 07-08-2002, 08:29 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Droppin_Gears: Interesting story about how you got the seatbelt tickets -- that's a lot better than speeding (or whatever it was -- I don't want to make any more bad assumptions! )

Best of luck getting your Z. I agree that high-revving gets old after a while and I also look forward to the low-endv torque (as well as high-RPM fun) of the Z.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:50 AM
NissaNZ

Lightbulb

I read the posts on the rsx forum and most people seemed nice but there was one guy named 2k2silvertype-s which seemed like a total *****. Haha, he's like the Z is not a real sports. What is this guy talking about, he wouldn't know a real sports car if it bit him in the a$$. Then he goes on to compare the Z with the wrx and evo, totally different class. If you put a turbo on the Z it will smoke anything short of a 911 GT2.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:48 PM
2003z

Originally posted by Droppin_Gears
The thing you have to worry about with selling outright, is the increasing amount of a sales tax you would pay. Also, I might be able to swing a deal with a local nissan dealer, where if I sell my car, the paperwork goes through them, I give them a little commision. That would give me the tax benefit of a trade in, while they make money, and I get more money than I would trading it in. I am prepared to take a hit, though. I was looking at financing it and such, but I think I will go through my father, have him pay the difference and pay him monthly installments. That way I save myself on the APR.

I've worked out a win win situation for my father, myself, and the dealership on buying the Z, and selling the RSX. Now to talk with the dealership to see if they will swing for it, and I'm pretty sure my father will swing for it, but I'll make sure.

Assuming you could sell your car for 20k, or trade it in for 17k and a 6% sales tax, like we have here in my county, there would be a $1020 sales tax credit on the trade, which wouldn't make up for the 3k difference in sales prices.

Now, if you can swing the part of selling it with your dealerships help, that would be the best.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:03 PM
Droppin_Gears

8.5% sales tax here, but that would be 1700. It all depends on the offers I get from dealers and private party buyers.

Also, not sure how registration fees work? My father handled the previous registration fees on previous cars for me. As I understand it, it also goes on a percentage rate of the amount you paid cash for or financed, like another sales tax. I'm probably totally wrong here, I'll be making a call to the DMV soon to find out what needs to be done, though.

Funny thing is, my dad asked me if I could help him out and follow him down to a shop where he dropped off a work vehicle. On the journey home, I took a backroad with twists and turns, going at it ***** to the wall. He just looked at me, smiled, and said is that all you've got? I said that's all the car has got. He said "it's no chevelle", as that was his favorite car he ever owned. I said, yea, nor is it a 350z =). He is kind of sketchy about me selling a car so soon after purchase, so that kind of made him smile, but also give me that stern fatherly face.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:20 PM
Tubbs SF
Charter Member #85

A quick note on the sales tax subject. Last time I sold a car (back in 98) and registered the sale at the DMV, the lady told me it was common practice for people to write $1 as the sale price of the car, to avoid sales tax. She said they do no validating whatsoever, and justified it as people are allowed to give cars away, and collect gifts up to $10K with no reprocussions. I sold my car for approx $7K and was able to take advantage of this.
Is this unethical? My point of view is simple. I paid sales tax when I bought the car, so I shouldn't have to pay sales tax again if I am selling the car at a loss, which unless you own a shelby cobra is the case for most of us. This is blatant double taxation. I digress. My point was simply if you want you are able to avoid much of the sales tax when you sell your car. As a point of reference I was selling the car in Sacramento, CA.

Cheers,
Tubbs
Old 07-09-2002, 05:10 AM
Droppin_Gears

Well, after a trip to the local Nissan dealership, this is what I have come back with.

28,946 or somewhere real close, I have it written down on the guy's card.

That is the enthusiast model with the following:

Carpeted Trunk Mat
Carpeted Floor Mats
Side Airbags/Curtain bags

That is all I feel I need to start off with, I may add the aerodynamics package later.

There are only 2 other people that have ordered a 350z from the dealership. Frankly, I'm suprised anyone has, people around here don't care for import sports cars. It is Camaro, Vette, Mustang, family car, van, or a truck around here. There are a few Integras that are nicely tuned by the guys that are stationed at a nearby military base.

So after talking with the dealer, he gave me MSRP. He also hinted, but wouldn't outright say it (probably waiting for me to say I'll definetely buy the car from them) that if I sell the car on my own he'll let me do the paperwork through them, for the benefit of less tax fees.

He said that in mid August they are supposed to get a couple in for the lot. He said as soon as he found out what packages and what color he would give me a call.

I said well if I order it from you, and you order it from the factory for me, I probably won't get it until about December or so, correct? He said that he should be able to get it in September or October. I'm guessing perhaps he'll call around to some dealers or something of the sort.

So I told him I'd get back to him within the month, he said it would require a 1000 dollar deposit, which I understood. He also said that the price he gave me wouldn't change for the options I wanted and the Enthusiast Model.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Droppin_Gears

Well my father has been highly pissed off with me at the talk of selling my car to get a new one. As I've only had this car a little over 6 months, only 7200 miles on it.

After thinking about it, he's right. The 350z is a great car, but I need to enjoy what I have for now. I do plan on getting a new car within 4 years, preferably 2 or 3. Right now the 350z is the one I'll be shooting for. Perhaps they will bring back the TT or single turbo. Perhaps the supra will be brought back, resulting in a hp war, price war, or something of the sort. Perhaps the RX-7 4th gen will make it over here in a TT form and give the same results or one of them as the above listed for the Supra. Who knows? Very few key Mazda/Nissan/Toyota people .

So, maybe being patient will pay off for me, if not I can always pick up a 2004, 2005, 2006 350z =). If something goes wrong and they quit making them, then I'll scoop up a 2003 =).

I will remain on this site, posting what I see fit. Hoping to learn many things about this new Z car.

You guys have been great on the input.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Talk your dad into taking someone's pre order...

If he's smart and money minded... tell him to talk resale value...
Your RSX is high (way better then american cars) but a Z shouldn't drop its value even when your drive it off the lot.. it should go up. Pay 33,000 its market value is @ 37,000....

Do you think Nissan will keep the price as low as the preorder price.... ahhhhhh No.... the price will adjust to the market demand no matter what Nissan HQ does.

The S2000 is the perfect example of this.... dealers were taking the new car that was selling for "Price X which Honda Set". Dealers then drove them around for 200 miles and sold them as used cars for "Price Y".... Y was higher than X.

Good luck... sorry for the econ example (no demand curves given)... like I said it's a sound buiness investment in a time of a recession... Your pops should bite at this.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:57 PM
Droppin_Gears

Yea, it would be my investment, but I'd have to take out a loan right now and all.

He won't loan me the money to save me intrest and headaches because I just got this car. I understand him, though.

I actually got MSRP from a dealer today for an Enthusiast package, as stated above. The want for a Z car at the area of this dealer is basically 0. The 2 orders he recieved I believe were from out of area. If it does rise and I still want this car, though, at the time I'll be looking at a new car, I could afford it =).
Old 07-09-2002, 05:27 PM
Sabre

Yeah, it might be a little soon to be getting another car. If I got a car six months ago, I probably wouldn't feel good taking a hit selling it for another car. Maybe drive that for a year and get a 2004 model.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:09 AM
Droppin_Gears

You guys are right, and I do appreciate it very much. I kind of had to settle, but when I was given my options, this was the car I picked. That is why I told them I would pay for everything extra, because I felt so bad about only having this car for 6 months. It was the only way I'd do it, I wouldn't let them pay another dime.

Keeping the car for another couple of years is a good thing, though. They see that I appreciate the gift, I get to use it more, and when I sell it I won't feel bad about it. I will also be able to buy the car I want instead of paying notes.