Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What is more popular to avg buyer ..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 03:37 AM
350zpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is more popular to avg buyer ..

Do you guys think the Z or the G35c is more attractive to your average buyer. I was just wondering why Nissan plans on building 30k Z's in its first year but significantly less G35coupes.

It seems to me that the 2+2 design appeals to the general public much more then a 2 seater. Do you guys even forecast that the Z will be able to find enough customers. The S2k is a roadster priced similarly, the M Roadster is also a beautiful 2 seater that can be purchased slightly used for ~30k.

Is nissan planning on selling more base models? From the pre-order customers its obvious that the base models are the least desired models since they are so stripped down.

Looking for your thoughts.

PS. (Sorry for the gramatics but its brain-dead sunday and im just typing without thinking)
Old 07-08-2002, 03:48 AM
FstQban

I think Nissan has succesfully targeted a varied enough demographic as to allow the two cars to coexist nicely. While the G35 coupe seems more to target the SC450 crowd, or maybe even the SLK/CLK, more luxory touring crowd, the Z is aimed squarely at everything from the WRX econo-bullet, to the eloquent Boxter S. With increased sound insulation, softer springs, leather etc. the coupe is clearly aimerd at a slightly older(no insult intended) more comfort driven crowd.
At the same time, I had a tough time justifying the 350 over a G35C. The coupe enjoys: leather,VDC,Trac.Con., LSD, and 2+2, all for just about 2,000 more than my enthusiast!(31,500+/- vs. 29,500) Having owned a 2 seater 300 I am willing to make the trade for the extra 20 or so HP!
Old 07-08-2002, 04:54 AM
alear

I think there is more competition in the sport sedan category than in 350z's category. Therefore, I think they are anticipating low sales due to competition. The 350z sales will probably slump in a few years also if we see stuff like new supra, rx-7, etc.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:12 AM
Brad4rdHay

Actually I think its just a matter of aloocating the factory invintories in the first year with the G35, G35C, and 350z all being made in the same factoy and sharing the same platform. (correct me as I could be wrong).
Old 07-08-2002, 06:22 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by FstQban
I think Nissan has succesfully targeted a varied enough demographic as to allow the two cars to coexist nicely. While the G35 coupe seems more to target the SC450 crowd, or maybe even the SLK/CLK, more luxory touring crowd, the Z is aimed squarely at everything from the WRX econo-bullet, to the eloquent Boxter S. With increased sound insulation, softer springs, leather etc. the coupe is clearly aimerd at a slightly older(no insult intended) more comfort driven crowd.
At the same time, I had a tough time justifying the 350 over a G35C. The coupe enjoys: leather,VDC,Trac.Con., LSD, and 2+2, all for just about 2,000 more than my enthusiast!(31,500+/- vs. 29,500) Having owned a 2 seater 300 I am willing to make the trade for the extra 20 or so HP!
What is the basis for your quote of $31.5K for the coupe. I have seen no good pricing info on the coupe, and as far as packages goes, all I have seen are Canadian packages for the coupe. In Canada to get a manual transmission, you must get the top-of-the-line sport package which comes with Brembo brakes and numerous other goodies. If Infiniti has similar packages in the US, I think your looking at close to $40k to get a Coupe with a manual tranny. My $29K enthusiast looks to me to be a much better bargain.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:14 PM
FstQban

That quote was based on a Road&Track article. Actually the Ampersand section one or two months ago. They were discussing the upcoming coupe and said that it would be available for about 31,500 and up. Also I am basing it on the sedan pricing...last month the G35 sedan was in a road test. It was around 32,000 and it had VDC,T.C.,LSD,leather,auto, ABS, all included in the base price. I can't believe that the coupe would be that different. Though I could be wrong!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:33 PM
nizl

You know, I think the 350Z is a great car, but I do think the G35C will probably have more widespread appeal. Consider the pervasiveness of the BMW 3 series.

I really don't know how Nissan plans on selling 30,000 2-seaters a year. Especially considering it took 6 months to fill up 7000 preorder slots, which accounted for all the enthusiasts. Where are the other 23,000 people coming from this year alone?
Old 07-08-2002, 08:09 PM
dvlad

Originally posted by nizl

I really don't know how Nissan plans on selling 30,000 2-seaters a year. Especially considering it took 6 months to fill up 7000 preorder slots, which accounted for all the enthusiasts. Where are the other 23,000 people coming from this year alone?
it could be that nissan really never advertsied the Z. The only way i heard about it was by reading C&D , Road & Track. I think once the mainstream markecting comes in effect, sales will increase at a faster rate.
Old 07-08-2002, 08:18 PM
nizl

Interestingly, I found this chart of all historical Nissan Z sales:

http://www.competitionpress.com/spec...uff/z_main.htm

The early ones sold at an amazing pace, largely because there was nothing in the marketplace like the Z.

However, notice that the peak sales for the 300ZX Z32 happened in its first year, and it was only about 20,000 units...
Old 07-08-2002, 11:57 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by nizl

I don't agree. I think its pretty amazing that 7000 people plunked down deposits (many of which are nonrefundable) on a $30K+ car completely on faith. My friends think I'm an idiot for buying a car that 1) I never test drove; 2) I never sat in; and 3) HAD NEVER EVEN BEEN REVIEWED! I'm 6'3" and 250 and don't fit in most cars....let alone sports cars, but because I've owned 2 Zs in the past and a 2000 Maxima, I decided to trust Nissan and bought the car completely on faith. I think most people are -- and should be -- unwilling to buy a car on faith. I think once the Zs show up on dealer floors, they will fly out the door. Now the only question is: Are American drivers as a group so soft and flabyy that they can't be bothered to buy "THE BEST SPORTS CAR VALUE ON EARTH?" We shall soon see.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:31 AM
3rdpower

350Z's are going to be popular... let's look at S2000 sales...They are somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k I think? These numbers are low due to little to no marketing. Nissan is going to have a marketing Blitz like you won't believe... it is going to be hard to push out 30,000 vehicles a year! The immediate demand will be astounding but it will drop off going into next year. I seriously doubt Nissan hits 30,000 units... if they do it'll be an act of God. The 350Z is raw but I don't know if the void is really there. I was kinda hoping Nissan would keep the Z to around 15,000 units a year to keep it in demand and keep resell value high (at or above SRP). I'm personally buying out the car, however, with so many being produced the availability will be flush so I think the Z will fall below SRP by year 2004. If that does happen I'm all good with it as long as I can drop the Z for a GT-R at a fairly reasonable price ;-).

Z is my toy...
GT-R is my calling...
Old 07-09-2002, 01:27 AM
350zpower

6500 preorders are from the Z fanatic community.
These are teh most likely buyers .. and we all had our hopes very high for what kind of perfomance and quality this car would have.

While i dont think that 30k cars this year is impossible i think the market for the car will saturate quickly and the following years they will have to slow production by 50%.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:31 AM
abz123

Actually... just over 7,800 as per ZISME.

I agree. 2-seater are not geared towards the mass market.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:53 AM
rep15

Nissan has a winner with the 350z - as per the reviews (which Nissan knew would occur). They will produce this car to death because the bottom line is what is important. When one has a winner they ride that pony until it drops. With the possibility of roadster in the future and increased horsepower looming, Nissan is posed for the long haul. More power to them. They deserve a profit albeit a small one on each Z.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:03 AM
nizl

Originally posted by robbyn
I think once the Zs show up on dealer floors, they will fly out the door. Now the only question is: Are American drivers as a group so soft and flabyy that they can't be bothered to buy "THE BEST SPORTS CAR VALUE ON EARTH?"
I don't think it's that simple. Adjusted for inflation, the Z is almost at the identical price point that it was w/ the 240, which is awesome. BUT, times are different. We don't live in true muscle-car street-racing times right now, unlike the 70's, where it was the heyday of fast sleek cars such as the Z.

Right now the trend is big SUV's, lowered w/ 20" wheels and booming subs. Or cheap imports modded beyond recognition. Most of the current "youngsters" are into flash, not real performance.

I think many of the people in the market for a $30k sports car are interested in the roadster movement (S2000, Boxster, Z3, etc)... but it will be interesting to see...

I'll love mine regardless!!
Old 07-09-2002, 03:21 AM
Brad4rdHay

"most youngsters are into flash"- I resent that! Boy I cant wait to pull up to a Civic with a farter...
Old 07-09-2002, 04:44 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope the car doesn't become too common. Nothing's worse than pulling up to a stoplight and seeing a guy with the same car in the same color.

Nissan really didn't have to advertise the Z considering anyone who cared at all about sportscar knew it was coming out, and anyone who was ever going to get one would plunk down $1000 sight unseen. Seeing a commercial wouldn't have changed my mind at all. You'll notice you've still never seen a commercial for the M3!