2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Base Vs. Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 06:59 PM
TomZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Base Vs. Enthusiast

Hey all -

I'm about to purchase and was looking for some advice. My current budget limits me to either the base model or the enthusiast model. I was wondering if you think the enthusiast is worth the extra beans for the traction control and the limited slip rear differential? (the lights and pedals don't matter much to me).

I know it's not much (~$1600), but I'm interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks for any input!

-Tom
Old 02-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Z Mack

I got an Enthusiast and I'd have to say it's definitely worth it. For me it was about the cruise control. I had to have it for longer drives to keep from getting tickets. I've had the Traction Control kick in a few times on me, when I've gotten on the gas too hard in corners, so that was probably a good thing.

The Xenon lights are fantastic! You'll probably end up appreciating the lights more than anything. And the pedals just look really cool.

The Enthusiast definitely nails the "Best Value" 350Z, and is well worth stepping up from the base.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:06 PM
bfleming

I agree with Z Mack. I almost went to the Performance model to get the bigger wheels and VDC. Finally figured I don't drive that close to the edge and probably won't start now with a Z. I like the traction control, HID lights and cruise control and think it was worth the upgrade. I bought the car off the lot and it had dealer installed leather, which I like. The leather was offerd for an extra $800, but I got'em to $500 which seems about right for the leather. After searching around on the web and talking to various dealers, I got my dealer to go out and get what I wanted pretty much. There seemed to be a lot of Zs hangig around in NJ, DE, PA area and you shouldn't pay over MSRP. I started working on a Perfromance with two dealers for $1300 to $1500 under MSRP, but didn't get to see whether they would really do the deal. My dealer came through with the Enthusiast at MSRP. Think the winter weather, economy and world affairs are slowing sales and production has caught up a bit with demand.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went base model.

No regrets.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:09 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Your on the right track. I think the Enthusiast is the most bang for the buck.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Scafremon

Tom,

You wont get many opinions from base model owners here. The primary reason for this is simply because not a very big percentage of owners bought the base. In my database of people who pre-ordered a 350Z, of those that advised what trim level they purchased (325 vehicles), only (17) are base model.

Some people might say that this alone is proof on why you should upgrade from a base model. Maybe they are correct.

My opinion is this: Unless you 'need' some of the features that you get when you upgrade a trim, then the only reason to upgrade is if you 'want' those features. And you shouldn't let other people tell you what you 'want'.

For the additional money between base and Enthusiast, you do get some nice features. If they are worth the money or not to you, it's hard for us to decide.

And just to throw out one more thing for comparison: I bought a new car for my wife just last week. For that car, I didn't go with the lowest trim. In order to equip that car how we wanted it, I needed to go with the highest trim (except not AWD), and I have spent almost $1K in accessories.

So far on my Z..... I've bought floor mats.

The base model rocks. As do the other trims.

Now, don't go starting a thread on what color you should choose, or we will have a moderator boot ya.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:04 AM
FrankieZZ

Default Base Model Is It

I must be one of the 17 who preordered a base model . I was going for a different model but had to pay for the manual transmission in order to get it the way I wanted it( it had to do with the burnt orange leather ) . No way Jose ! After rethinking , the base model was the best bang for the buck , without a doubt . I didn't want any traction control and cruise on a sports car to an old sports car owner like myself , was heresy ! What a buy for the money and you can use the saved $$$$ to outfit it with a better limited slip than the one offered stock( the one thing I miss) !So take the $$$$ and run down to your dealer before next years price increase . The base is the one !!!!

FrankieZZ
Hampton Beach , NH
Base Silverstone 6 M
Old 02-12-2003, 10:51 AM
TomZ

Thanks for the replies. I will probably stick with the Enthusiast based on what I've read. Thanks again!

bfleming, what dealers would you reccomend (if any) in Southern NJ?

-Tom
Old 02-12-2003, 06:17 PM
bfleming

I used the Nissan web site to check inventories for 100 miles around and then contacted dealers via the email system about the cars they had in stock. I zeroed in on two or three Performance models in Silverstone and an Enthusiast and indicated in my email how much under MSRP I wanted. Got calls back from all of them. The guy from Haldeman in Hamilton Square seemed willing to deal 609-586-1900. Also guys from Pine Belt in Toms River 732 349-3030 and from Pine Belt in Keyport seemed willing to talk 732-264-4333. I have theri names in the office and can PM you tommorrow. I bought my car from Woodbury Nissan, they worked hard to find one for me. I also kept pressing and let them know they weren't the only game. The salesman's name at Woodbury is Mike Bartley 856 853-0005 and he will search around for you. They were at MSRP but got some extras worth maybe $500 thrown in and no other dealer junk.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Wicked4u2c

It all depends on what you plan on using it for... I don't need cruise control, I took it off my last car because it took my space in the engine bay, and the steering wheel looks a lot cleaner without all those buttons. But than if you need cruise control I understand. Second the Base has the less weight, which I go autocross and drag racing a lot and it is to my advantage. H.I.D Lights... Have aftermarket which are brighter than the stock Z's. Price $400.00 installed. LSD, is probably worth it.. Haven't had any traction problems yet.... Since my previous car didnt have it, I guess I learned how to feather the pedal during turns and use clutch movements.... Base or Enthusiast are both good buys. Def worth it... Anything above that is a waste IMO. You pay too much money for Brembo and Ray wheels which you can do aftermarket and looks better and will save you money.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:59 AM
mpol99

Its a small price difference, & you get Limited Slip, Traction Control(whether u wanna use it or not, good for re-sale value also) & HIDS!!! I was debating the same thing & decided to get a Enthusiast for those reasons (Ended up with a Performance for the 18s & VDC & the other little goodies).

With a $1600 difference, you can probably have the dealer drop $1000 at least off retail & end up paying just a few hundred $$$ extra for it!!! Around Chicago, I've seen dealers advertise haveing 20+ Z's on their lots, so discounts are possible.

Anyone you'll pick, you will have a one kick a$$ car!

By the Way, some of the fastest 1/4 mile track times I have seen on message boards have been done with base model Z's
Old 02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
TriX

Well first off you can see at my sig I did order Base. I thought it is a great deal but I have rethought everthing the Enthusiast is the best bang for the buck UNLESS you mod.

If you mod you can get a much better Nismo Lsd etc etc. TCS and cruise control I would never want in a car. I bought a car to drive not have my grandma drive it. But for each their own. Just my view.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:09 PM
z-extreme

I say Enthusiast. Well at least thats what model I will be getting. I need the Cruise, and the Slip so it made the decision easy for me.

Later
Old 02-13-2003, 04:15 PM
ricepeck

go for the enthusiast....well worth it for another $1600 and im not just saying this because i have one too...but all the little extras will make u feel happier about ur purchase and besides if ur financing then wats another $20-$30 per month gonna hurt?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:48 PM
Scafremon

Originally posted by ricepeck
.....and besides if ur financing then wats another $20-$30 per month gonna hurt?
CarSales 101
Old 02-13-2003, 06:34 PM
ICYBLUE1203

I bought my fully loaded Base model 2 exactly two weeks ago. No regrets. I was planning on buying a enthusiast model with no options, but Im glad I went with the base. It's my daily driver, already drove it in the rain, no problems at all. As long as you're not doing anything stupid, you won't need the traction control. I could use that money for wheels instead.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:27 AM
altima35

I initially was going to get the base model. Fortunately, I guess, they were unable to find a base in the color I wanted. So once I decided to go with the Enthusiast, I was happy I made the decision. The extras the Enthusiast offers are well worth the money.