Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire feathering? Dealership giving me problems. Advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:15 AM
jsimms243

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire feathering? Dealership giving me problems. Advice needed.

Need quick responses! Thanks! Hey guys. I decided to take my Z in to get the fuel hose recall taken care of, and also take care of what I believe may be tire feathering/famous 350Z alignment issue. I drive a 2004.5, which in most cases from what I have read, do not have the feathering issue, but by the sounds of things the problem was not completely taken care of until the 2005s came out.

I dropped off my car at Nissan. A guy got my information and told me that some other guy would call me and discuss the issues. I told the original person that if I have the tire feathering that I expected the tires to be replaced, because I have read that pretty much everyone else on this forum has had their tires replaced who also had this problem.

I received the phone call later. Up front, the guy at Nissan told me to basically not get my hopes up. He has to do all of this "reseach" to find out if my car qualifies for the alignment issue, and to see if the problem has already been fixed in the past etc. etc. He explained that if this problem had already been "fixed" in the past then Nissan would not be liable (I am second owner). So evidently Nissan does not stand by their work (they would not cover an alignment problem that comes BACK after a first repair attempt).

Everyone tell me if my problem sounds like the alignment/feathering issue. When I bought the car it had strange wear/tear lines on the outside of the front tires. Also, the car ran smooth and road noise free quite some time after I bought the car. Now, 10,000 miles later (car currently has 19,xxx miles) the car has terrible road noise, especially when slowing down. It isn't the brakes. The road noise is there when accelerating, driving at normal speed, and slowing down (with and without brakes).

Now, with this said brothers, do I have the feathering problems, and should Nissan replace my tires (all four or only front)? It sounds like UP FRONT they are trying to get away without covering anything. Help please. Any evidence I can use to fight them into doing the work would be quite helpful!!

By the way, Nissan said it would take *3 days* to do the fuel hose recall. Is that normal?? This Nissan guy even said he would have to check my car and make sure THIS included my car also. I thought this recall included all 350Zs and other Nissans as well. Is my Nissan dealership stupid?

If anyone here needs my VIN or any info that could help figure this out let me know.

Thanks a bunch,
Justin
Old 05-23-2006, 07:15 AM
imjdoggie

If you are still under 36k miles it should be fixed!!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:22 AM
jsimms243

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
If you are still under 36k miles it should be fixed!!
By my description does it sound like I have tire feathering?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:47 AM
salvo

Yes it does, what you describe sounds exactly like my feathering problem except it is normally on the INSIDE tread of the tires. Go out and look at your tires now, when you bought the car the previous owner probably rotated the fronts, putting the feathering on the outside tread.
I just bought an 03 and had the tires replaced and an alignment done last week, I had to pay 25% of the cost because Nissan put a deadline on this repair problem on 03 models that had never had the problem addressed before, as of Oct. 05 (according to my Service Advisor) He was able to get Nissan to cover 75% on some type of courtesy coverage.
I also had the fuel line recall done. It took them one day on the recall and one day on the feathering problem.
Good luck
Old 05-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the dealership doesn't do anything about it, try this.

Next time you buy new tires, go buy them at Les Shwaub (sp) and have them do a 4 wheel alignment at the same time.

Then when they feather, make les pay for it, since it's their tires and their alignment job.

Somebody else mentioned possibly doing this, I just stole his idea.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:17 AM
jsimms243

When I first bought the car the feathering appeared to be on the outside of the front tires. I can't remember detail anywhere else (car is currently at dealership so I cannot go check).

So what do I do if this guy calls me back and tries to say that I do not have the dreaded ' more common on 2003 Z's tire feathering ' problems and he will not cover anything under warranty. Does anyone have any documentation I could throw in his face? I have heard some people on this forum being screwed like this by the dealship and then they call a Nissan big-wig phone number to complain and then they get their way. Anyone have a Nissan number that will be helpful? I feel very strangly that I will get screwed somehow. I deserve the tire replacement.

Thanks for the help and advice,
Justin
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am in a similar situation with an '04 going in for the fuel filler problem. My Z has just over 5,000 miles but there is noticeable feathering on the inside tread of both front tires. In advance of my upcoming visit to the dealer, I re-read the notice from Nissan covering this problem for 2004 Z's and it said that one must not only have visible feathering, BUT the tires MUST be making noise. If that is the case the dealer is supposed to align the vehicle and replace the tires. At this point, my car makes no noise, so I will wait a little longer before mentioning this problem to the dealer. In my case, I have until early September when Nissan will no longer cover the problem as a special warranty item. You should call Nissan USA with your VIN# to find out when this program ends for your 2004 car.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:16 AM
jsimms243

That makes me feel a lot better. I definetly have noise! What bothers me is that I do never gotten a letter from Nissan, and I DID calla nd register with them when I bought my car.

Anyways, I am researching where to find Nissan USA phone number but am having trouble. If anyone has it handy, I would appreciate it.

THANKS,
Justin
Old 05-23-2006, 10:19 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From the latest Nissan feathering policy letter:

Nissan is further extending the warranty for alignment to 36 months or October 2005 (whichever comes later), and unlimited mileage for all 2003 models, and to 36 months and unlimited miles for all 2004 350Z models. This warranty extension will ensure you'll get an effective repair, including possible replacement of your front tires.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:27 AM
jsimms243

I can't find that flippin Nissan number anywhere on their web site.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
jsimms243

Just found the phone number and contacted Nissan. Based on my description the rep told me I probably have the feathering issue and that it should be repaired free of charge. I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 AM
HoustonChamp

I think you have to be the original owner to get the tires replaced!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
jsimms243

I told the Nissan lady on the phone that I was not the original owner. She never mentioned that you had to be the original owner to have the tires replaced. She said that the tires were replaced and charged on a "prorated" basis. So depending on how much tread I have left, I may only pay for 25% of the tires, 50%... etc. Of course this is all based on weather or not this guy tries to screw me. We'll see.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 AM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

Some people had the tire/alignment problem[s] on the 350Z:

'03, '04 & '05 models.

Nissan modified the front suspension for the '06 models.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:23 PM
ronnie

i have 33000 miles on my car and nissan has replaced the tires 3x iam on my 4th set of tires. according to the alignmebt shop this is a problem that they can not adjust the front end. i would keep speaking to people at nissan i was turned down for my 3rd set of tires and then another district manager approved the tire swap, an hour later someone from nissan said it has been disapproved by that time i had the tires.if your tires are worn at 19000 miles that sounds like it could be normal wear most tire issues happen around 6000 miles. good luck
Old 05-23-2006, 04:31 PM
asianflip06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey if I were you just goto another dealership and get your work done somewhere else....It only takes 2hr tops to do fuel hose recall and to adjust toe on the front end takes only 15min tops, then mount new tires....Only long part about the whole procedure is getting the tires delivered to the dealership....BTW if i remeber correctly you pay a certain amt of money depending on the wear on your tires i belive 3/32 or less you pay full 75% 4/32 50% and like 6/32 and up 100% coverage
Old 05-23-2006, 04:40 PM
bakmac

I have massive amount of noise coming from the fron of the car I though sports car road NOISE would be normal! what should I do I have a 2004 version roadster with 26000 miles???
Old 05-23-2006, 04:49 PM
zYouLater

I have an 03, have had my tires replaced due to tire feathering. This is a well documented problem with the 350Z, and Nissan North America if contacted, should bring to bear the proper amount of preasure on the Dealer to work things out with you. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Squeak LOUDER!

Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:57 PM
bakmac

Even if I have 26000 miles on my car and I have replaced the rear tires as well???
Old 05-23-2006, 04:57 PM
seabass

Cool

The best way to not not get ripped off is with knowledge research the problem there is a bunch of posts on this problem.

here is what you need to know about the tire waranty:

tire warranty

good luck!

Quick Reply: Tire feathering? Dealership giving me problems. Advice needed.