Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Top gear hates the Z?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 12:42 PM
sential

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top gear hates the Z?

He completely bags on an early version of the 350z. Some of his opinions really annoy me, but trying to stay objective, do you think any of them are valid? I test drove an 06 for about 20 minutes a few weeks ago, and liked it a lot, but I probably didn't spend as much time with it as he did. I was thinking of buying a used on to save money... Are the 03-05's that much different than the 06's or does this guy just have something against the 350z?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S3FF...%20gear%20350z

I'd like to hear some comments...
Old 05-23-2006, 12:45 PM
350ZZack

I heard that he doesn't like the 350Z's that much, he rags on the "cheap" interior, but he's used to seeing Aston Martins and Ferarris. You can't really do a whole lot better than the Z for the money. If you ask any of us here if we love our Z's, you'll get a resounding yes. The '06 models Z's and the Rev-up model '05 Z's have ~13 more hps, but don't rev as high. As for performance wise between the two, stock for stock, they're about dead even.

Zack (Is from Costa Mesa as well)
Old 05-23-2006, 12:55 PM
mikeg8r

I think that review is from 2003, plus you know how much Jeremy hates Renault.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:13 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never have liked that guy. He bugs me. Once he ragged on the Z I knew my instincts served me correctly.

This is old news though. That version has been out for probably 2 years now.

To answer your question, yes, most of his opinions are biased, unfair, and quite ignorant. Don't let that tool discourage you.... it's just a tv show and they pay him to be an opinionated idiot.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:14 PM
DRFTER_Z

Angry

but still have some kinda of professional courtesy and dont just blast the Z to the moon, I mean he really sounds annoying and snotty, but then again he used to high-end cars and what not. Bottom line is he can say he dosent like it for x amount of reasons but he sounded like a rich british fartbag.... sorry but i do see what hes saying about the interior but theres other ways of saying things.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:17 PM
daz311x

he doesnt like the "drone" exhaust note, plastic interior and says that it doesnt feel fast. he also didnt like that the car is japanese but designed by an Indian in California and has a french engine. he calls it a muscle car rather than a sports car. but who cares? just one englishman's opinion

I think richard hammond likes it though
Old 05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What would you like to hear? The 350Z is the greatest sports car made? I don't justify my purchase to anyone. If the 350Z does not fit your needs, don't buy one.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
roast

I would like to hear you cease talking.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:49 PM
ZlleH

http://www.topgear.com/drives/D0/F2/new/

Guess he had to eat crow when his own show gave the 350Z the best car award in 2004. So maybe you should change your title to "Top Gear loves the 350Z, Tall guy is an idiot"

Top Gear's number one coupe has cool looks and plentiful performance

Every now and again, car manufacturers get it so right that it's almost shocking. They produce a car that's almost impossible to fault and has everyone in the Top Gear office united in praise.

The Nissan 350Z is one of those cars. That's why it swept the board at the 2004 Top Gear Awards, scooping the ultimate honour - our Car of the Year Award.

Thing is, the formula that produced this all-conquering coupe isn't exactly rocket science: take a beefy engine that makes a great noise and stick it at the front of a chassis, driving the rear wheels, then wrap it all up in a sexy-looking body.

Sounds too simple to be true, but that's basically how the 350Z shapes up.

There's more to it than that, of course. Not least, the heritage of the Z badge, rekindling memories of the original Datsun 240Z - a proper sports car with a grunty six-cylinder engine and a low price tag which sold in massive numbers throughout the Seventies.

Focused on that car's best aspects, the 350Z is compact and has a ruddy great 3.5-litre, 24-valve, variable-valve-timing-equipped V6 powerplant sending 276bhp to those rear wheels.

There's a hint of the 240Z in its profile, but the detailing is just as innovative as an Audi TT's.

The characterful styling continues inside, with deeply cowled, metallic-ringed instruments focused towards the driver. The cluster of rev counter, speedo and fuel gauge adjusts up and down with the steering column.

There are cross-drilled pedals and the low-set, supportive driver's seat is cut away to give easy access to the gear lever.

The 350Z is one of those cars that you get into and immediately think, 'yes!' Everything feels absolutely spot-on, and the use of the Z logo on the steering wheel taps you in to all that cool heritage.

It's when you start up the V6 and let rip its fruity rasp that the fun really starts. From standstill to 60mph takes just 5.9 seconds - not record-breaking stuff, but pretty respectable all the same. And, from the driver's seat, it certainly feels plenty fast enough.

Underneath, a sophisticated aluminium multi-link suspension is more than capable of keeping the driver entertained. Through the corners, there's a great point-and-squirtability to the Z, with plenty of grip. But the really good bit is that there's not too much - there's plenty of scope for controllable tail-out entertainment.

To add to the enthusiast-oriented feel, there's a six-speed gearbox with a precise, short-throw action and weighty speed-sensitive steering.

The 350Z has the right shape, the right noise, the right pace and the right price. You don't get any righter than that.

Last edited by ZlleH; 05-23-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:51 PM
indokidd01

that guys just a dumb@$$
Old 05-23-2006, 01:54 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

There is a more recent episode where they put the 350 against the crossfire and TT - they dub the 350 better of the three.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:12 PM
heezyo2o

I love Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson is one funny sob. Don't let a review dissuade you from a car however. Go drive it for yourself.

That engine drone he speaks of has somewhat diminished in the '06s. Also, if you check out the threads on here, a number of people have posted how they didn't think the Z was that fast when they first drove it. And, I'm sure you know how people complain about the weight of the Z.

BTW, has the Stig ever driven the car. I think there's that one clip with the RX8, but do they ever show the Z?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roast
I would like to hear you cease talking.
roast you are trully a fukcin as*hole,david has been on this forum for a long time and you have the nerve to say this.first off it has been said you are a troll now we have confirmed this.so go back in your hole and die jackas*
Old 05-23-2006, 02:17 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Does he like anything from Japan? Would you like a car that is 30K after driving many that are over 100K?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:19 PM
heezyo2o

He was quite fond of the rx8. He thought the 350Z was, "better looking but a bit of a pig to drive."
Old 05-23-2006, 02:28 PM
ZlleH

Who cares about the stig. Take a look at a better person to make an assessment of the 350Z, Tiff Needell. Tiff Needell was a professional race car driver as well, he used to work at top gear but moved to Fifth Gear. He gave it a great review the first time he drove it, and then he gave the 350Z praise again after he did an episode with the 350Z and the new audi TT quadro sport in a shoot out. And surprise surprise, he doesn't talk about any interior plastics when evaluating a race car.

Take a look at the video, you can tell he just adores the 350Z.

Here is the shoot out video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32448441109751

Originally Posted by heezyo2o
BTW, has the Stig ever driven the car. I think there's that one clip with the RX8, but do they ever show the Z?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
heezyo2o

On his first drive, Tiff Needel also complained about the plastic interior. If Clarkson doesn't like the Z, that's fine with me, but in the test with the Audi and crossfire, he mentioned that the Z was the one to drive on the "rally" course they had.

Tiff is a better driver sure, but honestly a bit of a bore to watch.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
ZlleH

I stand corrected then.

I saw the top gear episode too and sure it was entertaining when he found smart ways to insult someone like that british guy on american idol. But I was actually waiting for him to give me some serious evaluation so I can learn something. I didn't really find his evaluation of the 350Z to be very informative. So, yeah, the guy is entertaining, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by heezyo2o
On his first drive, Tiff Needel also complained about the plastic interior. If Clarkson doesn't like the Z, that's fine with me, but in the test with the Audi and crossfire, he mentioned that the Z was the one to drive on the "rally" course they had.

Tiff is a better driver sure, but honestly a bit of a bore to watch.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
gsazabi

Man this topic again

Jeremy's reviews tend to be biased. He also didn't even give it proper review
at the track.
The fact that is that the entire Top Gear team chose it to be the car of the year, and they made JC hand over the award to Nissan.

Jeremy Clarkson = HATES it
Richard Hammond = LOVES it
James May = Doesn't like it
Tiff Needell = LOVES it
Vicky Butler Henderson = LOVES it
Jason Plato = ??? Probably like it
Tom Ford = Says it's AWESOME
Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 PM
heezyo2o

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I stand corrected then.

I saw the top gear episode too and sure it was entertaining when he found smart ways to insult someone like that british guy on american idol. But I was actually waiting for him to give me some serious evaluation so I can learn something. I didn't really find his evaluation of the 350Z to be very informative. So, yeah, the guy is entertaining, but that's about it.
Yeah, the Z never really did get a proper review on Top Gear.

Tiff made mention about the interior, but he still loved the car. Here's the vid if you haven't seen it. It's in two parts
http://www.wcsl.org/z/downloads/tiff_1.wmv
http://www.wcsl.org/z/downloads/tiff_2.wmv

I got it from this guy's website http://www.wcsl.org/z/

Quick Reply: Top gear hates the Z?