Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Sunroof/moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 10:58 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, the sunroof fries your head from the SoCal sun, but don't worry; it's a moonroof. The moon won't hurt a bit!

Seriously, sunroofs can be a pain when they stop working or start leaking and then cost big bucks to fix. (But of course we wouldn't have such problems on the Z.)
Old 07-08-2002, 11:17 AM
FalGra

I have a moonroof on my celica... I love it... I will definately get one installed in my Z... I use it all the time... never had any problems with them either...
Old 07-08-2002, 01:11 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z was not designed to have a sunroof. If you put an aftermarket one on the car will probably lose some of its rigidity. Dont do it!! If u want sun, wait for the convertible!
Old 07-08-2002, 04:01 PM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Think about the flex you are going to get with a sunroof in a sports car not designed for it. More flex = more leaks.
Old 07-08-2002, 05:25 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I've got a moon roof in one of my cars and a sun roof in another. I have to say that I hate both equally and one criteria on my next car (being the Z) is it won't have a sun/moon roof. After all, if I want sun on my head I'll go drive my 67 Olds 442 Convertible.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:33 PM
FalGra

haha this is great.. I'm sorry you guys don't like me putting in a moon roof.. I don't like convertibles because they have alot of wind noise, the tops have lots of problems, and the entire roof moves.. talk about loss in rigidity.. LOL! Either way, I am getting a moon roof... I don't think the Z was designed any different than my celica as far as roof support goes.. I'm not going to be auto-X'ing my new Z so I'm not really worried.. It will be my daily driver.. You people need to take a pill or something.. You jump on the smallest things.. You better realize you aren't the only one buying the Z, every else has a different likes and dislikes on what they do to their car.. I can't wait to see what you people do over the Rice that will happen. I don't like rice, but again, I'm not going to tell someone they shouldn't or can't do it to their car.. They have the 30K they can do whatever they want... This is America isn't it? If not, leme know what bus stop I missed and I'll gladly get back...

Bottom line.. I don't like sun roofs because they go into the roof... I like moon roofs because they pop out sort of like a spoiler does, less wind noise, lots of air circulation, and looks the best. Also in some cases this type of roof retains 100% of it's rigidity.. As the hole is 100% sealed around it's edges as well as reinforcements put into place.. I may get some Altezza's to keep in the closet, so I can put them on right before a meet.. Just to see you all react.. Hahaha! How do you like them apples? And you know what? If I did, that would be ok.. you know why? Cause.... It's a free country! W00T!
Old 07-09-2002, 04:08 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would've killed for a Targa--
Old 07-09-2002, 06:13 AM
mdouvris

Default irregardless?

I think it's regardless.....
Old 07-09-2002, 10:04 AM
Boomer

Default s/m

I hate sunroofs and moonroofs . They take up precious,to me, headroom and I never use mine except at night and not very often then. One of the reasons I was so attracted to the Z was no S/R.

Boomer--BR/FR
Old 07-09-2002, 11:28 AM
john0213

it's a stupid question but what's the difference of moonroof or sunroof?
Old 07-09-2002, 04:16 PM
jgrier

No sunroof or moonroof is factory, they are all done off the assembly line and won't cause a problem.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:42 PM
BigBadBuford

I don't like any type of open roof either. I used to have a sunroof in my '86 GTI and having it opened or closed made no difference except you got more wind noise. My brother has a Trans Am with t-tops, and at first they were cool, but now I hate driving with them off. Convertibles are even worse.
I'm sure any kind of hole in the roof will increase chassis flex, and that in turn leads to worse handling, more rattles, etc.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:50 PM
dvlad

Originally posted by john0213
it's a stupid question but what's the difference of moonroof or sunroof?
moonroof will have a solid color to the panel. No light can pas through. A Sunroof will have a tint to it.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:18 PM
FalGra

that is not true... A sun roof pulls into the roof of the car generally with a 100% opening.. A moon roof pulls up and out of the top of the car, forming sort of like a spoiler look, with about 80% opening. Both can either be clear tinted glass or painted surface. Luxury or sedans generally have sunroofs as they require greater head room and space. Moon roofs are generally found on sports cars and small coupes due to their better space use, as well as the hole in a moon roof is 100% sealed around the edges unlike a sunroof that is slit on one side to allow the roof to pull in between the sheet metal and the headliner. 99% of the time the opaque roofs are sunroofs not moon roofs, as the moon roof concept was to be able to see out of the roof at night without having bugs and critters of the night get you, meaning they didn't open... Which leads me to this:

That is what it is today, originally the difference was: (Tech Manual Definition!)
"Sunroof was a generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which could let in light and/or air. Moonroof is a term created by Ford in the 70's, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs."
Old 07-09-2002, 10:27 PM
FalGra

You need to realize this isn't your 70's mustang.. They no longer use rubber seals on these things, they use much better silicone based seales and lubercants, so you won't have the problems you had before. I've had one on many cars recently, without any problems at all. My current car is too new to tell if it will have problems with that, but there aren't any rattles or squeaks yet. Only time I get a squeak is if I haven't washed the car in a little while, I have to open the roof and clean the outter seal to get the dirt off, just like we do with windows and everything else... This is something that not everyone likes... I honestly, don't think the loss in chassis rigidity is going to even be noticable.. It isn't on my current car, and I've even taken it to a few races with friends that auto X their 944's and 240sx's. I don't like doing it cause it ruins the paint on the car.. So I would never do that in the Z, therefore that much chassis rigidity is pointless for the benefit I would see out of it from the joy of driving. Granted I think a T top would be more true to the Z's history. With or without a cross bar, simular to the supra's optional removable top.