Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire warning light...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 04:57 AM
myzhi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire warning light...

The light came on when I was exiting the highway. The psi gauge was showing 39/40, front and back. I pulled over, turn off and restart the car, light blinked for about 10 sec (normally gone right away), and finally, disappear. The temperature was 97F outside. It since has been gone for last 3 days. When it's cool outside (like morning), psi usually shows 34/35. Should I be worry? Thought light only appears when tire pressure is low.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:06 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the manual:

"The low tire pressure warning light warns of low tire pressure or indicates that the TPMS is not functioning properly."

If the light comes back on again, I would have it checked out.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:44 PM
myzhi

Warning light is not coming on, but RR tire was showing " -- " while every other one was showing 34/35 psi. So, I pullover, shutdown the car, and restart it. W/o moving, it shows LF 39 psi and rest " -- " (correct if you are not moving). There must be malfunction somewhere. Going to have to take it in tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
nrvna76

that indicator comes on for me during long trips...then is gone the next time i start the car...and the pressure is at like 39/40 like you said on a hot day.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
ItsNateMan87

Default hahaa

didnt you guys ever take biology and chemistry. when the weather is hot, the air molecules bounce around alot more giving you more pressure, however, when its cold, air molecules move around alot slower, registering less air pressure. sometimes you just gotta restart the car to reset the computer. after all, it IS a computer. sometimes they mess up
Old 05-30-2006, 05:18 PM
myzhi

Don't know if there's a problem or am I just paying more attention to the psi after the warning light came on, but when I just test drove the car now, it started right out showing LF 39 psi and everything other tire " -- ." As I got moving, it showed F 35/-- & R 35/--. So, I pull over and restart the car. Started moving again and it showed F 35/36 & R 35/--. After 5-10 minutes, all of them finally showed up. Is this how it normally works? Don't remember it was like this before. I'll do some more testing tomorrow morning.

Last edited by myzhi; 05-30-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
ItsNateMan87

Default hahaa

didnt you guys ever take biology and chemistry. when the weather is hot, the air molecules bounce around alot more giving you more pressure, however, when its cold, air molecules move around alot slower, registering less air pressure. sometimes you just gotta restart the car to reset the computer. after all, it IS a computer. sometimes they mess up
Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 PM
myzhi

Originally Posted by ItsNateMan87

You don't need to post this twice, which by the way, doesn't answer my concern. Now, try to comprehend what I am asking. I am wondering why TPSM is showing " -- ." Restarting the car sometimes changes " -- " to a different tire (s). Please, next time, if you can't help, don't bother posting.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:40 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by myzhi
Don't know if there's a problem or am I just paying more attention to the psi after the warning light came on, but when I just test drove the car now, it started right out showing LF 39 psi and everything other tire " -- ." As I got moving, it showed F 35/-- & R 35/--. So, I pull over and restart the car. Started moving again and it showed F 35/36 & R 35/--. After 5-10 minutes, all of them finally showed up. Is this how it normally works? Don't remember it was like this before. I'll do some more testing tomorrow morning.
Sometimes, it can take the sensor some time to accurately register the pressure, but usually within 1 minute. 5 to 10 minute wait-time seems kind of long.

My TPS was showing 17-19 psi but when I measured it with a gauge, it was 35psi. This didn't change when I restarted the car. My sensor is messed up, so before I can take it in to get checked/fixed, I'm just going to ignore it.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
zpak

Originally Posted by ItsNateMan87
This seems like it's more gen. chem and/or p-chem, but has little to do with "biology" per se, unless you're talking about pulmonology or managing vents.

But biologically, homeostasis keeps the intrabronchial and alveolar spaces at more or less a constant temperature, so expansion or laminar vs. turbulent flow (Reynolds principle) of gases depends more on molecule size (i.e. 21% O2 v.s. Heliox) and compliance/elasticity of the overall structural tissue as well as surface tension modifiers like surfactant. Of course, biologically, you can artificially induce elevated pressures with peak inspiratory pressure and end-expiratory pressure modulation from the vents themselves, or just forget the whole thing and go to a high frequency oscillator.

But I still don't really understand how "biology" is related to the TPS...
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM
myzhi

Originally Posted by zpak
Sometimes, it can take the sensor some time to accurately register the pressure, but usually within 1 minute. 5 to 10 minute wait-time seems kind of long.

My TPS was showing 17-19 psi but when I measured it with a gauge, it was 35psi. This didn't change when I restarted the car. My sensor is messed up, so before I can take it in to get checked/fixed, I'm just going to ignore it.

Yeah. I remember it only takes few minutes to show the psi. Now, it's taking much longer plus sometimes a tire(s) will show " -- " (no data). I only been playing attention to the display after the tire warning light came on 4 days ago. Not sure if it's been this way for awhile now.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:59 PM
zpak

Yeah. I remember it only takes few minutes to show the psi. Now, it's taking much longer plus sometimes a tire(s) will show " -- " (no data). I only been playing attention to the display after the tire warning light came on 4 days ago. Not sure if it's been this way for awhile now.
Sounds like your sensor is screwy, then. Go get it checked out.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
BuffDaddy

u have to go over 20mph for the sensor to read the pressure.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Hella

Originally Posted by BuffDaddy

thats not true.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:07 PM
ouch1011

Originally Posted by BuffDaddy
not sure if thats true for the Nissans or not, but that is true for GM TPMS.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
stein

My TPS is weird at times. Verified cold tire pressure is 33f/32r. The TPS reads 33 cold f/r, Once the tires are warm the front have gone up to 39 and the rear up to about 37. The left rear sometimes stays around 33. I've learned to not go by this stupid TPS, not very realiable unless I have a bigger psi issue. Maybe the next oil change I'll have them take a look at it...
Old 06-12-2006, 06:38 PM
MoJ

The TPS light comes on on my 06 after about 50 miles on the highway. Always shows the same tire - driver side rear. It goes back off after 5-10 minutes. Took it to the dealer - their manual recommended reseting the system as the first step. The second step was to replace the sensor if the light came on again. Today it came on again so I'm taking it back when I can find the time. They told me they had never seen one do that. Funny thing was that the new 05 (still have 05's here) I test drove did the same thing during the test drive.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
mavtais

My 05 doesn't always give me readings right away. If I don't move the car, it can take up to maybe 15 minutes - I dunno - I could never sit there that long and waste gas (expensive) and to have my car running and me not driving is so much like a ****-****. Anyway, to stay on point, it usually reads the tire pressure in a smaller amount of time when I'm moving. And for accuracy, mine are dead on (to the nearest 1 psi). So if any of you guys have inaccurate sensors, I would suggest that something is wrong.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM
ZWildZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can remove the TPMS and disable the system so you don't get warning lights?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:10 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Warning light is not coming on, but RR tire was showing " -- " while every other one was showing 34/35 psi. So, I pullover, shutdown the car, and restart it. W/o moving, it shows LF 39 psi and rest " -- " (correct if you are not moving). There must be malfunction somewhere. Going to have to take it in tomorrow.
myzhi, your system is telling you that the right rear TPS sensor on the wheel has a low battery, which is why you are getting an intermittent signal from that corner of the car. Since the batteries are permanently a part of the sensor, the entire sensor must be replaced. HTH

ChinaClipper
2006 ZCCA Convention Car Show Nismo award winner.

Quick Reply: Tire warning light...