Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone had rock chips repaired by Nissan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Braveheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had rock chips repaired by Nissan?

I am among the many owners p'd off with the easiness of the front end to succumb to rock chips. I don't want to start that whole discussion again.

I didn't get a clear sense from the previous posts/discussions who has been successful in having their front end repainted free of charge by Nissan. Do we not have a legitimate claim here over inappropriate quality paint applied during manufacturing? In all the cars I have owned, I have never seen a car so susceptible to chipping.

Please respond if you have been in any way successful in getting all/some of your repainting cost covered by Nissan for rock chips. Please exclude other paint defects from this post.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not going to do anything about this. There are ways to prevent this from happening (not drive so close to other traffic, watch for debris on the road, get a clear bra).
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Braveheart

I understand all that but given that the Z suffers so horribly from this, Nissan has to admit this is a problem.
Are you aware of any other cars that experiences this problem so badly - I'm not.
Why should I adjust my driving style and/or incur the extra cost of extra protection because Nissan can't paint the Z properly?
If'd known it was going to be this bad, I would have (reluctantly) invested in a clear bra in the first place. Now I'm facing a repaint cost AND a clear bra to maintain that investment.
Sorry if it sounds my venting is targeted to your reply but I find it difficult to accept that this is "normal" or "to be expected" when other cheaper cars can survive better.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Swiffer

Check the Rx-8 forums...same issue. I do not see it as a problem. So far, I have had only 1 chip (knock on wood), and it was on the passenger rear quarter panel (same place the gas cap is, but on the other side). I am guessing this was from a stone driving down the interstate, but it wasnt anything some touch up paint couldnt fix. The front end is still perfect, except for a few dead bugs.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I got OWND this past week by some new lanes opened on a local Frwy. I decide to take my weekend toy to work. Had only one rock chip on the bumper, and just got a new V1 lip added. Fukcing son-of-a-b!tch new lanes had tiny pebbles of concrete everywhere. Of course I'm oblivious to this. Running late to work, so I punch it alittle faster than normal. Get to work and find about 10 or so rock chips. Thanks Houston Toll Way Construction!
........Slim chance that Nissan will cover this. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:22 AM
abyss

its common on every new car, they don't use high quality paint anymore, nothing you can do about it except deal with it and/or repaint and clear bra it.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, but I consider that bullsh!t. I'm sure the Z isn't the only car with this kind of problem, but not ALL new cars have this issue. I've never seen any of the cars/truck sold by my company come back with the kind of pockmarked face that many Z's bear. none of my own current or previous vehicle have this problem either and to say that its just the way it is and we should accept it is crap. if it was, then EVERY new car dealership should have a big sign in their showroom and in writing on your purchase contract stating that they're vehicles have nail polish for paint and thus you are required to either buy a clearbra or never drive within 500 yards of another vehicle.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 PM
WorldOne

Trust me, the 350z is not as bad as my Subaru WRX. I could sneeze on that thing and the paint will would fly off. Your best bet is to get your front repainted and install a 3m clear bra. Best product IMO for your car.

Hova
Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
sidewayz2

2034 miles and at least 40 micro chips and 5 major ones....wtf
Old 05-31-2006, 07:43 AM
Chad68

Wait till you guys start getting chips on the front of the roof, you will really freak out.

I've heard of it happening but so far none on my roof.

I have seen plenty of 5-10 year old Honda's that have like 2 or 3 tiny chips on factory paint.

Don't care what anybody says, the Z's paint is complete crap.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Swiffer

I still dont see what you guys are doing. I have over 2000 miles on mine, and still the front end is perfect. Do you do alot of highway driving?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:02 AM
gregszx23

Thumbs down

It's amazing the quality of the paint on a new car now-a-days! What's even more crazy is the idiots that post statements like "don't drive to close", "stay from behind trucks" and so on! None of that matters the point is the paint should not chip so easy. My mothers car is 7 years old and you might be lucky enough to find 3 chips. Also, I have a 99 expedition also and I don't have these flake like chips that are so common now! It is not just Nissan so pay attention to that. It is the quality of the paint that is the issue. There are multiple car companies out there that are selling cars with the same issue. I just get pissed off by you clowns that have the nerve to say it has something to do with driving habits Just because you drive on the highway doesn't mean it's acceptable when for years there are other cars that it has not happened too! Get a clue!

Last edited by gregszx23; 05-31-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Swiffer

I guess I'm one of those idiots then...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 AM
highside107

Yep I have a ton of rock chips on my '05 DB as well..
Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Ayankees2772
Banned

Paint chip is a normal where and tear..if u dont want them...stay 100 feet back of anyone on the road<easy fix.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Derratte

This problem is common to most new cars. Ever since the envronazis forced car makers to switch to water based low VOC paints, the paint durability has suffered greatly.

My 98' Pathfinder with the old style paint still looks perfect on the front, and thats with 75,000 mostly freeway miles. I hear little rocks hit the front all the time when Im on the highway, but there never seem to be any major chips (there's just a few really tiny ones). The paint is fantastic.

I had the clear bra installed at the dealer the day before I picked up my new Z, and everybody at the dealer said it was a wise decision. All the service techs I talked to said that the clear bra was not a luxury item, it was a necessity.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Joe2

Originally Posted by Chad68
Wait till you guys start getting chips on the front of the roof, you will really freak out.

I've heard of it happening but so far none on my roof.

I have seen plenty of 5-10 year old Honda's that have like 2 or 3 tiny chips on factory paint.

Don't care what anybody says, the Z's paint is complete crap.
i've got at least one that i know of on my roof. plus i noticed one micro one on the drivers side right above the window on that side curved strip. plus i have about 30 tiny ones all over the hood. also, the first night i brought it home someone scratched my hood with something and the scratches have never come out despite scratch X and waxing and buffing...that was the very first night i brought it home by the way. you can see it if you look at it at the right angle. like someone rubbed fine grit sand paper on it.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:40 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got more chips than a bag of Dorritto's
Old 08-26-2006, 05:28 AM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by camaro194
I still dont see what you guys are doing. I have over 2000 miles on mine, and still the front end is perfect. Do you do alot of highway driving?
well, 2,000 miles isn't ****
Old 08-26-2006, 07:12 AM
Spec_Tacular

Welcome to water based paints. Not Nissan's fault.

Quick Reply: Anyone had rock chips repaired by Nissan?