Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

downshifting and revving sti/z

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Miko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on, the trans is manual for a reason, to upshift and downshift...you're not gonna end up buying a new trans just b/c of downshifting you're more likely to buy one when shifting it crazy while racing, doing burnouts, etc...I think that's more of an issue of abuse to the trans than downshifting is. Just my thought..seems logical enough. I just like to downshift into 3rd to slow myself down..only one gear, it can't really be that bad
Old 06-02-2006, 12:40 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FairladyZi
No offence but whaatta @@@k R U taking about...
No offense, but kolia knows what he's talking about.

You drive you cars every day and have no clue whats really in there...
That's a very bold statement. Judging from your next statements, I'm willing to bet he knows more of what's in there than you do..... but that's just a hunch.

1st of all people from Europe use downshifting insted of using their brakes.
Why????
Because in every engine built from 80's on downshifting stops fuel injection and you can even see it by the RPMs going down when you downshift,
People do that... to save not only brake pads but to save on gas as well...

Incorrect. Leaving it in gear and engine braking alone uses no fuel. Rowing down through the gears requires repetative revmatches(to downshift properly), which you guessed it, requires FUEL. I really hope you're not one of these people who think it's ok to clutch brake (downshift without revmatching and using the clutch to deaccelerate). That will murder your clutch in a quickness. Engine braking also does not slow you down very quickly anyway.

Simple fact of the matter: Brake pads are cheap. Clutches are not. Fuel is not. Burning fuel and putting extra wear on your clutch for no reason will cost you more money in the long run than simply using your brakes for exactly the purpose they were designed, which you will end up having to use and replace anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by SighOh
im just saying, if im riding in 4th, and i just decrease my speed by simply not accelerating... when i drop a gear, the rpm's do not seem to increase and cause me to jerk... thats all
That is not possible. The RPM must increase. For any given speed, the gear below will always be at higher RPM. That is undeniable. The only way you can get a smooth engagement without revmatching is if you are slipping the clutch (letting it out very slowly until things mesh up). You should really learn to downshift properly. If you're in fourth and want third, you need to blip the throttle before letting the clutch out in 3rd. Don't just go down to 3rd and slowly let the clutch out. That will kill your clutch.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:04 AM
paulsmansfield

I am speechless at the amount or threads on how to change gear. It's a fundamental of driving, I half expect a thread or two on how to steer or operate the hand brake.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a fundamental of driving and the large majority of people don't know how to do it properly.

Add something constructive or don't bother posting. I am speechless at the amount of WORTHLESS POSTS from people criticizing or ridiculing others.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 AM
fusionchicken

he's talkin about rev-matching or heel-toe downshifting if u're stopping (stepping on the brake) and downshifting (heel-toe - toe on brake and heel on gas to rev-match)

doing this will make ur clutch work less and give ur clutch a longer life

and also i agree that if u're just coming to a dead stop, just step on the brake until ur engine's about to stall then pop into neutral. this way the only thing u're using up is the brake pad, not even gas since when u're in gear and not steppin on the gas u're wasting no gas at all. brake to a stop then pop into neutral when ur rpm's near idle is the most effecient way. even at idle the engine eats more gas then when ur foot is off the throttle when u're in gear.

no need to rev-match or double clutch or heel-toe downshift unless u're downshifting to accelerate at a lower speed after slowing down.

Last edited by fusionchicken; 06-02-2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're getting good at fighting these "battles"

paulsmansfield, funny you should mention the e-break usage.

When I was in Ireland, I was surprised to see the leather on the e-brake in the cabs where worn. Turns out they use it ALL the time. When ever the car is stopped, the e-brake goes on. At a red light, even at a stop, each time they inched forward and stopped…

That’s how they learn to do it… Weird huh?

Roast pretty much summed it up. Nothing to add on that.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:39 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paulsmansfield
I am speechless at the amount or threads on how to change gear. It's a fundamental of driving, I half expect a thread or two on how to steer or operate the hand brake.
I agree. We need a handbrake thread. Should be titled "Do you use the handbrake or chock the wheels."
Old 06-02-2006, 05:55 AM
bigplayray

man..making mountians outta mole hills.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:04 AM
phenix

Wow, such a simple concept and so much arguing...

You rev-match so you don't slip the clutch too much. As everyone (hopefully) knows, clutches wear when they are being slipped. If you don't rev-match, everytime you downshift, you have to slowly drag the clutch out so the RPM will rise slowly, that's not good for the clutch. When you rev-match, you can feed the clutch out much faster causing less wear.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
SighOh

ok well, ive been owned. and ive created a monster. i cant even explain what i was thinking about. i just need to get better at it... practicing is all i can do, from what it sounds
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 PM
ihatepotholes

what the hell... whats the point of this? i downshift after i slow down and need to go into lower gears, let out of the clutch slowly while gas a lil just like how u go forward from a stop
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
ihatepotholes

i've been driving stick for years... i don't even understand what rev matching is lol
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 PM
NTRIGUE

nothing more satisfying than a perfectly executed rev-match downshift
Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 PM
ihatepotholes

i downshift after i slow down and need to go into lower gears, let out of the clutch slowly while gas a lil just like how u go forward from a stop...

so am i doing this wrong?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Zmazing03

From what I've read so far, seems we are both doing it wrong ihatepotholes.

Screw all this. Neutral + brakes ftw.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 PM
ihatepotholes

really... thats interesting, so all these years 90% of stick drivers and i've been driving the wrong way?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SighOh, just let rpm's drop to about 2k and clutch and downshift at same time. Then blip the gas enough to raise to 2k again and let the clutch out fast. It usually catches pretty well. If you have to aim towards revving it more over 2k than under 2k revs so syncros dont catch the gear. Let me know if you want me to re-explain. Hope that helps.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 PM
ihatepotholes

well... say im on a high way doin 60, all of the sudden the traffic slow down to 15, i'd slow down by breaking and then drop from 6 to 2, let out of the clutch slowly while gas a lil. it's a habit, i don't know whether skipping gears is bad or not... u guys are confusing me lol
Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^nah might as well not do them at all. Heel and toe is more for exiting corners at high speed. The quicker the better when going fast. Not practical at all. I just like practicing so I can get better at it. Plan on doing some autoxing soon.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:34 PM
ihatepotholes

that doesn't answer my question... is it skipping gears on a Z bad?

Quick Reply: downshifting and revving sti/z