Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

downshifting and revving sti/z

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh sorry. I misread your post. Jumping from 6-2 and letting your syncros catch it is not too great for tranny. You might just want to use your brakes for the long run to keep you're tranny in good condition. But if you can rev match every gear when downshifting without letting the syncros catch it, you can still do it and tranny won't get hurt. I say practice it. It's fun. You didnt get manual not to downshift. Look up downshifting or heel and toe tutorials. This will help a lot. Happy downshifting. LOL
Old 06-02-2006, 11:07 PM
NTRIGUE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to learn your car.

for example you know that at 40 MPH in second gear the RPM's are in the 4k's so no matter what gear you are coming out of you clutch identify that you are going 40 MPH blip from 'idle' to 4400 RPM and let out the clutch. You have now matched the RPM's the gear would hvae been at!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 PM
ihatepotholes

i think i missunderstood this... ok what am i saying is that im doing 60 on the free way, i need to slow down. so i use brake only, now im at 15mph and still in 6th, i need more power to move, so drop from 6 to 2. isn't that normal driving?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
ihatepotholes

i don't downshift to slow down... i downshift to get moving
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt do that either. Don't let it slow down all the way in 6th gear. Don't you feel like your car is bogging down. I think that might be wearing on your clutch. Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think you might as well just brake and keep in neutral. Best way to do it without causing any unnecessary strain on clutch. That's my opinion from what I know. There might be more knowledgeable people than myself that can bring more light into this mechanically.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 PM
ihatepotholes

but my foot isn't on clutch while braking, a lil bogging shouldn't hurt right? if i throw it in the neutral... slow down to whatever speed and i can just throw into whatever gear is right for that speed? say 25mph, i can just throw into 4th from neutral? that way it won't put any stress on any part of the car?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:47 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihatepotholes
i don't downshift to slow down... i downshift to get moving
haha me too!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/5...2168d7cf44.htm
Old 06-03-2006, 06:04 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i missunderstood this... ok what am i saying is that im doing 60 on the free way, i need to slow down. so i use brake only, now im at 15mph and still in 6th, i need more power to move, so drop from 6 to 2. isn't that normal driving?
This is the way to do it. The tranny doesn't see any difference when skipping gears. As long as you don't have to force a gear in, you know it's okay.

As for slipping the clutch instead of rev-matching, it shouldn't be to bad for the whole life of the car, in "normal" driving condition. If you start to do some sport driving, you should work on that and learn it because you would be putting more stress and wear on the tranny.

In your scenario, braking in 6th and downshifting to 2nd, I double clutch to help the tranny's synchros. But it's not necessary.

Nice rev-match Roast! Can you do that while threshold braking in corner entry too ?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM
ihatepotholes

Originally Posted by Kolia
This is the way to do it. The tranny doesn't see any difference when skipping gears. As long as you don't have to force a gear in, you know it's okay.

As for slipping the clutch instead of rev-matching, it shouldn't be to bad for the whole life of the car, in "normal" driving condition. If you start to do some sport driving, you should work on that and learn it because you would be putting more stress and wear on the tranny.

In your scenario, braking in 6th and downshifting to 2nd, I double clutch to help the tranny's synchros. But it's not necessary.

Nice rev-match Roast! Can you do that while threshold braking in corner entry too ?
so in other words i am fine?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe gracias... I'm usually not threshold braking in the corner entry. Generally I've already heel-toe downshifted prior to turn-in.... but ya, I can still downshift while simultaneously braking hard. It really makes slowing down a lot more fun than it should be.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:33 PM
SighOh

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
From what I've read so far, seems we are both doing it wrong ihatepotholes.

Screw all this. Neutral + brakes ftw.
haha that is exactly how i manage my car. i dont rev match after i downshift. but it seems as if i try to attempt... it would be worse for my car, than just simply not being synchro

im a girl, what can i say.... i cant drive. lol. thanks for everyone's insightful input
Old 06-04-2006, 06:46 AM
eraz3r

that doesn't answer my question... is it skipping gears on a Z bad?
Nope, it doesnt matter if you're good at the yoga required to drive the car smoothly. When upshifting, let the revs drop to a point they would be at when you end up in your appropriate gear and let the clutch out and you can skip all the gears you want... when down shifting, blip the throttle to an appropriate point and change gears... double clutching isnt necessary because of the synchros but rev matching is a good thing.

Takes practice but its easy to to do...
Old 06-04-2006, 08:20 AM
killerlexus
Banned for Scamming

match revving helps on road course. keeps you in the power range as you slow for turn , and power out. my auto 05X rev matchs as i slow down and down shift.. very nice feature, only other automatic car that does this, is the M3.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:10 PM
MeetJoeAsian

It's not bad.

It's just a waste of time and fuel.
we've gone over this already in another thread...read below:
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/187627-question-regarding-mpg-vs-engine-braking.html
Old 06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Miko

Definately my FAV style of shifting is granny-granny shifting. From 1st, 2nd, to 3rd, I love hearing her breathe when the revs drop, mmmmmmmm
Especially my 1st to 2nd shift, I swear whoever's behind me has to hit the breaks, seriously people get so close to rearending me. I don't do it purposely, it just takes a long time to shift smoothly (for me at least).

Last edited by Miko; 06-06-2006 at 02:22 PM.