Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do you ever take your Z "downtown?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever take your Z "downtown?"

Having just returned from a night club where I would not take my own car, it made me wonder.

If you are going "downtown" to party, or out to a bar or nightclub or even a movie, do you take your 350z?

I will park it at the movie theater because they are closely patrolled where I live. But night clubs or bars (even if I'm not drinking), I always take my beater car.

People just seem too curious about our cars. They seem to draw too much attention to park it at night and just walk away.

I would have made a poll, but there seems to be too many possibilities. For instance there are exceptions to my night club rule in certain areas.

What do you do?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:44 AM
Track

I guess I should have posted a poll.

People love polls.

I just wanted to know how others handle the delimna: whether to take your new toy with you and enjoy it, or leave it locked up at home for now, and take a different car or ride with friends when you go out at night?

Am I being paranoid, or does the interest in this car disturb you while you are away from it downtown and at night?
Old 02-15-2003, 10:02 AM
UFO

Why I get my Z the short answer to your question is No. We'll take the wife's 3000GT when we go out at night. Too many punks in the world. My 3000GT has been left unscathed so far...I don't think it interests them.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Track

Whoa! Nice "beater."

My beater is also a Mitsu. It is a wonder that no one ever messes with the 3000GT! They have the looks of a car costing twice as much.

I like your taste in cars!
Old 02-15-2003, 12:28 PM
WayneTN

Default Re: Do you ever take your Z "downtown?"

Originally posted by Track
Having just returned from a night club where I would not take my own car, it made me wonder.

If you are going "downtown" to party, or out to a bar or nightclub or even a movie, do you take your 350z?

I will park it at the movie theater because they are closely patrolled where I live. But night clubs or bars (even if I'm not drinking), I always take my beater car.

People just seem too curious about our cars. They seem to draw too much attention to park it at night and just walk away.

I just wanted to know how others handle the delimna: whether to take your new toy with you and enjoy it, or leave it locked up at home for now, and take a different car or ride with friends when you go out at night?

Am I being paranoid, or does the interest in this car disturb you while you are away from it downtown and at night?
I thought vandalism wasn't a real problem where you live. Here's what you said on January 20. Having second thoughts???

Originally posted by Track on January 20
It is such a relatively small problem here, that when it does happen, people really freak out about it.

I didn't say it never happened, just that it was not a real "problem."
Old 02-15-2003, 12:33 PM
jleighZ

Scott you pretty much suck! My Z will be my beater and everyday car!!! Too bad I can't keep the Eclipse as my beater
Old 02-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Track

Default Re: Re: Do you ever take your Z "downtown?"

Originally posted by WayneTN
I thought vandalism wasn't a real problem where you live. Here's what you said on January 20. Having second thoughts???
I don't live in downtown Houston. How smart *** of you to go back and dig up an old thread just to flame me.
I guess some people thrive on conflict.

Night clubs in some areas of downtown Houston or Louisiana are pretty desolate, but I've never had a problem in my life.
I have not even had a door-dent since high school here.

The interest in my z-car kinda bothers me, though. People seem too curious. Every time I park and leave it, when I return there are people gathered around gawking at it.
I'm not worried about these people damaging it (except maybe fingerprints), but I don't like it.

More than vandalism, I'm worried about some drunk in a bar parking lot backing into it, and then splitting.
Vandalism is not a problem where I live.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:50 PM
Track

Default Re: Re: Do you ever take your Z "downtown?"

Btw, I never even mentioned vandalizm.
If you read my post, you will see my concern was drunk drivers (in bar parking lots) and curious gawkers making me feel uncomfortable.

Additionally, this question was not for me to answer, or even for East Texans, but for people all around the world who post in this forum.

I could not imagine why someone would go to all the trouble to dig up an old (and irrelevant) post in an attempt to start a flame war.

Chill out.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Track

Originally posted by GirlieGT
Scott you pretty much suck! My Z will be my beater and everyday car!!! Too bad I can't keep the Eclipse as my beater
Hey! I may suck, but at least you have an excuse to drive your Z-car every day!

At least it is a two seater, so if your friends wanna all go to a club, you have a good excuse to ride with someone else since you can only take one passenger in your car.

And I guess that means....

You can drink about as MUCH AS YOU WANT!

Now how can you top that?

Don't tell the C3G people I said this, but after you get your Z, you won't wanna drive your Eclipse any more anyway! Hehe...oops
Shhhhhh!

I bestow upon you a z-point for cracking me up.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Omega350Z

When we go out to the clubs we always take a cab, we never want to decide on a DD and no one would really want to take their car anyways so we just take teh ole cabby.

Also a good thing to this is that 15 bucks for a cab ride is a LOT cheaper then spending teh night in jail if we get caught driving drunk. Even better if we are the "cause" of an accident due to d&d not to drive.

All in all we find it much more enjoyable to just do it safe from teh start, besides, if one of us find someone to go home with (rarity but it does happen....) they can just grab their own cab and let the driver drive while they enjoy each others company....
Old 02-15-2003, 01:59 PM
kman

I hear what you're saying, I live in downtown Austin and when parked in the street over the past 6 years I've had my current car broken into twice and have seen the remnants of people having put a cigarette out in my paint. It's a pain in the *** to deal with, but I still drive and park downtown since:

1) I won't live in fear
2) Its still just a car
3) I have insurance
4) People will find a way to steal/vandalize your vehicle if they really want to, downtown or not, in a garage or in the street.
5) **** happens even if you take precautions

Its just not worth the ulcer, that's what being a Texas Football fan is for!

GirlieGT - I feel ya, when I get my Z I won't have the benefit of a beater either!
Old 02-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Gish

Track- I grew up in Kingwood too! Class of 1993 from KHS. My parents still live there. Go home from time to time.

Kman- i feel your pain about Texas football too! I graduated from UT in 1997. Damn. Small world here on this thread.

To answer the original question, I take my car downtown. I park in in the garage across from Element in Austin Kman and haven't had a problem yet (fingers crossed)........

Gish
Old 02-17-2003, 06:13 AM
vova151

Kman
I had my jeep broken into on 4th and Trinity while I was at the Coppertank. I have yet to go out downtown and park on the street but I doubt having the Z would keep me from doing it. I would just be extra cautious and try to find a place on the end. I usually end up parking in the big garage at the end of 4th down by The Gingerman. Gish you ever try that one? It's free I think the one across from element costs?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:14 AM
WayneTN

Unhappy Sorry Track

Btw, I never even mentioned vandalizm.
If you read my post, you will see my concern was drunk drivers (in bar parking lots) and curious gawkers making me feel uncomfortable.
Track, I'm sorry if you were offended and I apologize. I'm wasn't trying to start a flame war. My comment did have winking and confused smilies within it:

I was just trying to clear up some confusion on my part. I guess I didn't understand why someone would be uncomfortable about people gawking and gathering around their Z if they wern't concerned about either some harm to their Z (vandalism) or to themselves (assault). People are going to be curious about the Z, especially at places where the talk turns to testosterone and sports cars. When you go to those places, that's what you get. Better to leave the Z at home, I guess. Anyway, no further explanation is necessary. Sorry again.

Wayne
Old 02-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Jumpman--Z

In downtown Baton Rouge, it's pretty deserted, so I don't worry too much when I take my car. I usually only go there to get my mail at the post office, or go to the art supply store. A couple of weeks ago when I went to the post office, I saw a black 300ZX Twin Turbo in the parking lot. You never see those around here.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Track

Default Re: Sorry Track

Track, I'm sorry if you were offended and I apologize. I'm wasn't trying to start a flame war. My comment did have winking and confused smilies within it:

Wayne
No, that was "my bad."

I should have seen the winkie guy. LOL. Sorry if I snapped back, instead of explaining.

I've never had a problem with vandalism or theft, but downtown in the "party districts" I worry about drunks (wrecks, door dents, etc) mostly.

I don't know why, but I get a little freaky when people gather around my car or touch it. Yikes, I guess the last part of that sentence sounds snobby, but it just seems so impolite to finger-print up someones car.

I have 3 decades of martial arts training (and am an instructor) and carry a handgun, so I'm not concerned about myself, just my cars.
Things can get kinda rowdy in places (like Austin's Sixth Street) and suddenly get out of hand. Also, I like to drink while I'm out, and won't drive after my second.

I was just taking a measurement of other's here, to see if I'm being too paranoid or overprotective.
I get so many compliments and questions (I have about the only Z in my area...never seen another around here), that it is not a good car to take unless I'm in a "social" mood and not in a hurry.

I get stopped about 3 times a day and asked about the z-car.
I've driven Ferrari's that got less attention! Seriously.

I guess people know this car is within their budget, so it makes them braver about asking questions.

I think the next time someone asks me where I "got it", I will just reply, "I stole it. I'm a professional car-jacker. By the way, where is your car?"

Last edited by Track; 02-17-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:38 AM
aggie300zx

I agree w/Kman's points made.

I live in downtown Dallas and although I'm in a gated lot, if they want it they will get it. It's my only car, so as much as I'd like to think it will stay perfect and untouched for ever, it ain't going to happen.

On a similar note, I have my Aggie Football team to give me my ulcers!
Old 02-17-2003, 11:22 AM
DrCold

Default Re: Re: Sorry Track

I think the next time someone asks me where I "got it", I will just reply, "I stole it. I'm a professional car-jacker. By the way, where is your car?"
Hahahahahaha!

-DrCold
Old 02-17-2003, 11:52 AM
JimH

Default Whoa! Same pair of cars!

My wife also drives a 3000GT while I have the Z too. Drives the neighbors crazy around this retirement community! When we drive somewhere in both cars, lots of chuckles from others when they read our plates. I have owned two 3000GT's and like them for what they are, Grand Touring automobiles. I traded one for the Z, but the other stays in the family as her car.
Regards, Jim

Originally posted by UFO
Why I get my Z the short answer to your question is No. We'll take the wife's 3000GT when we go out at night. Too many punks in the world. My 3000GT has been left unscathed so far...I don't think it interests them.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 PM
s9am_me

How's the 3000GT compared to the Z?? i've never driver the GT b4.. tho my friend has one (greddy punk even tho i let him drive my Z) ANyways... thats a nice "beater" car. My other beater car is a 3rd generation Maxima

Quick Reply: Do you ever take your Z "downtown?"