Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I've got rockchips, yes i do...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:54 PM
krinkov

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by droidekaus
A new bumper cost $230. Paint will run around $200. Clear Bra is what? $800, $900 AND the really big **** will still get through it?

I can completely replace the bumper two times over for the cost of one Clear Bra application. Think about the worse-case scenario where you wreck, destroy the front fascia and have to pay for the Clear Bra all over again. Insurance will more than likely NOT cover that.
Well, like window tint, paint protection film is not for everybody. As far as the economy of repainting versus the paint film goes, the film goes on once and protects at all times, whereas you have to drive around for a long time with a thrashed front end before you repaint it to make it at all economical to not get paint film installed in the first place, and if you dont mind driving around with a thrashed front end for any amount of time, you will most likely not pay to get it repainted just so it can get thrashed again.

Also, I cant speak with 100% certainty for where you live, but here in California, and in most other states you have the legal right to have your car repaired where you want and to your full satisfaction any time you report a legitimate insurance claim. Anything damaged on your car is covered by your car insurance up to the value of the vehicle, meaning unless it would cost more to total out the car than to repair it, they have to cover it. We have done more than a few insurance repairs on our installs and they have all been covered.

As far as the whole "new paint" situation, this is the best article I have found on the exact nature of why car manufacturers switched from low density solvent based paints to the new high density water based paints, not very exciting reading but it explains alot about why new paints and weaker than old paints. enjoy http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/es/etb/cetc/c..._paints_e.html

Last edited by krinkov; 02-18-2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:56 AM
rodH

Originally posted by jrreed350togo
Let's face the facts guys. Our Z front bumper is made of soft plastic that's taking a beating. I decided not to go with a 3M film because if you take a big hit you'll have to remove the entire film just to fix one spot or you're stuck looking at a nasty dent. The film may save you from a lot of damage but when it takes a good hit it looks terrible as well. It's like looking at a sandwich through a piece of glass when you're hungry. There's nothing you can do about it unless you break the glass. Regular bra's tend to fade/cloud your paint. This is a lose - lose situation. Getting it painted every so often is the only valed answer I can come up with. Then you'll have another problem. Will the color match the rest of the car...I give up. My front bumper is taking a beating and all I can do is take it like a man.
what kind of "dent" are you talking about. every car I have owned hasn't had a "dent" like that. I did get in an accident once, BUT it was repaired, all they have to do is remove the film and fix it. Is "denting" you car a regular thing for you?? just wondering b/c the chips happen virtually everyday, so I opt for the film.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:50 PM
jrreed350togo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of "dent" are you talking about. every car I have owned hasn't had a "dent" like that. I did get in an accident once, BUT it was repaired, all they have to do is remove the film and fix it. Is "denting" you car a regular thing for you?? just wondering b/c the chips happen virtually everyday, so I opt for the film.
=============================================

What kind of dent? I'm talking about any dent you can recieve from average highway driving. No amonunt of film can save you from a nice sized rock that can be thrown into the air by any average sized car. What I'm saying is if anything big ever happens you'll have to peel back and replace the entire film. I'm also concerned about the damage the film can do to the rest of the paint while you're peeling it off. What's the process for taking it off anyway? I just got back from a thousand mile trip each way. Let me tell you...My front looks terrible....Did you get into this accident with your 3m filmed Z? If you did what did they do throw a patch over it...
Old 02-19-2003, 03:28 PM
krinkov

Originally posted by jrreed350togo

What kind of dent? I'm talking about any dent you can recieve from average highway driving. No amonunt of film can save you from a nice sized rock that can be thrown into the air by any average sized car. What I'm saying is if anything big ever happens you'll have to peel back and replace the entire film. I'm also concerned about the damage the film can do to the rest of the paint while you're peeling it off. What's the process for taking it off anyway? I just got back from a thousand mile trip each way. Let me tell you...My front looks terrible....Did you get into this accident with your 3m filmed Z? If you did what did they do throw a patch over it...
Well first off lets qualify the difference between paint damage and body damage. Paint film is meant to protect the paint, hence the name. It provides a comparable level of protection as a traditional vinyl car bra in that respect, but anything that would otherwise hit your car hard enough to dent it would not be stopped by either a vinyl bra or paint film, this is body damage. Obviously the film isnt magic and there really is no practical way to protect against inadvertant body damage other than parking your car in the garage and throwing away the keys, but body damage is something that is far less likely to occur than the chips, scratches, and sand-blasting that will certainly occur each mile you drive your car. Not using paint protection film on your car on the chance that it wont protect against damage large enough to dent your car is like a cop not wearing his bullet proof vest on duty because it wont protect against a rocket propelled grenade.

The film is removable with a bit of heat and patience, about the same as removing an old bumper sticker, the adhesive though is completely safe and will not peel the paint. I would not be in the buisness of selling a product that could damage a car in the course of its use, the liability alone would kill me! As far as repairs, I personally would never try to patch an exsisting kit, this would just look terrible, but keep in mind if it is body damage that you are getting fixed through insurance, the price of a reinstall is completely appropriate to your settlement.
If anyone has any other questions about paint protection film feel free to drop me a line
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Jeremy

Last edited by krinkov; 02-19-2003 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:56 PM
rodH

Originally posted by krinkov
Well first off lets qualify the difference between paint damage and body damage. Paint film is meant to protect the paint, hence the name. It provides a comparable level of protection as a traditional vinyl car bra in that respect, but anything that would otherwise hit your car hard enough to dent it would not be stopped by either a vinyl bra or paint film, this is body damage. Obviously the film isnt magic and there really is no practical way to protect against inadvertant body damage other than parking your car in the garage and throwing away the keys, but body damage is something that is far less likely to occur than the chips, scratches, and sand-blasting that will certainly occur each mile you drive your car. Not using paint protection film on your car on the chance that it wont protect against damage large enough to dent your car is like a cop not wearing his bullet proof vest on duty because wont protect against a rocket propelled grenade.

The film is removable with a bit of heat and patience, about the same as removing an old bumper sticker, the adhesive though is completely safe and will not peel the paint. I would not be in the buisness of selling a product that could damage a car in the course of its use, the liability alone would kill me! As far as repairs, I personally would never try to patch an exsisting kit, this would just look terrible, but keep in mind if it is body damage that you are getting fixed through insurance, the price of a reinstall is completely appropriate to your settlement.
If anyone has any other questions about paint protection film feel free to drop me a line
Invisiguard@sbcglobal.net
Jeremy
ya, what he said