Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

z problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 03:42 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have to say is base your opinions off the car itself, not what some writer/photographer from a magazine say. I don't base my opinions off what others tell me, I base them off my own standards. Maybe you guys can say there's 8 to 10 problems with the car but until I see, sit, play in, and drive the car, no one is going to tell me what is or is not a problem.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:16 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

I spent some of my weekend reading and re-reading the dozen or so articles posted here on the new Z. I was going to post a similar list to silverstone's albeit with both positive and negative aspects.

It appears there is enough general consensus from the reviews to draw some solid conclusions. Yes, the car has some quirks (power supply location, glove box absence), some typical sports car features (poor visibility, seating position) and evidence of cost control measures (overall interior quality).

On the bright side, the praise for the car's engine, suspension and brakes has been overwhelming universal. With those fundamental elements in order, I can say without hesitation, I have never been happier with my preorder decision.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Sabre

Default Re: Re: z problems!

Originally posted by NSANY

Weird cup holder? Why are you even using it? Pay attention to the road, not your half-caf-decaf-twist-of-lemon poofta drink.
Nice. That was one of the few laughs I got out of this board.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:50 PM
mdouvris

Default Problems????

This car has only one problem. I AM NOT IN IT YET!
This is a 30k sports car. Nissan spent the money in the right places. I want to put it in gear and go. If your latte spills on the person in the other seat..well, it ain't You! There is this song by The Eagles I want you to listen to..Get Over It!

Last edited by mdouvris; 07-09-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:16 PM
rai

I hope you don't take any of this feedback as a personal attack. I think you have a few good points. Since I forgot the order I will go in random order.

No xenon highbeams Well a lot of cars in this price range don't even have xenon at all, also highbeams are only used by me once in a while.

Flimsy cover, this has been mentioned, but C&D actulaay praised it's fluid montion.

cheap interior. this is not alwas mentiones, usually they say it is spartain, but that's a lot better than cheap. Go look at the S2000 if you want to see spartain done right.

High door sills can be remidied by seat hight. Rear view is common problem with sports cars.

Cup holder and glove box is not worth worring about.

I have a few concerns such as the power outlet location. This is something that is common sence, Nissan should have done a better job.

The gear shift vibration had me a little worried until I drove the S2000 that also vibrated, but was otherwise the best shifter I have ever used.

The strut bar is the biggest drawback. It is required because of the hatch causes the body to be less stiff. But with the strut brace the hatch loses its value. Also the whole hatch adds weight. I guess its a Z thing, but a trunk or only a smaller glass hatch, or even no exterior opening would have been OK withme. I'm not going to be hauling lumber, just hauling ***.

Finally you mentioned something about there being other cars in this price range that don't have these problems. Why not give us a rundown of the cars that have all the following:

1) 0-60 less than 6.0
2)xenon
3)stability control/ TC brake force distribution available
4) 18 inch wheels available
5)good cup holder/glove box
6)good rear seat visibility
7) interior quality an par with audi/vw/lexus
8)no gear shift vibration
9) less than $50K

that should be a short list
Old 07-09-2002, 06:34 PM
BigBadBuford

I dont think any of those issues brought up are really problems. I like the high doorsill, I love the feel it gives to a car. From what I've seen of the interior, I will be more than satisfied with it. If it is the same or a little better than my 240SX, I'll be happy.
I don't really understand how people really feel there are a lot of things wrong with the Z. Overall, every article I've read has praised the Z, especially for its handling, steering, braking, and acceleration. The biggest complaint I've heard about the interior is that the textures don't go together. None of this bothers me. I know I made the right decision and I will love this car.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:47 PM
#15Blade

Default Re: z problems!

Originally posted by silverstone_350z
alright folks, after reading like a total of 6 articles or so, i have realized that there are some characteristics of the z that bother me a little, and i want to know what you guys think!

i am not flaming, i love the z as much as everyone of you.

after reading the articles, and viewing some of the posts here, here is what i can see as downfalls on the z. i want to know your opinion and thoughts about this.

1) Doorsills too high for some people
2) no glovebox
3) vibrations through gearbox at certain rpm
4) doesnt take bumps very good (forgot where i read that)
5) flimsy box (where nav. goes)
6) cheap interior look
7) cup holder next to knee can be broken if driver moves his/her leg (i persoanlly think this is dumb to talk about, but it is something i wanted to bring to your attention)
8) rear view is very limited.

ok, now, what do you guys think of all of this? i mean, i really love the Z, but no matter how big of a fan or love someone has for the z, this must be some kind if disappointment, atleast for me it is. what are some of your thoughts??
1) sill hight is a matter of prefference/opinion
2) has a glove box, just not infront of the passenger seat - its behind it. Location is a matter of prefference/opinion
3) vibrations are present because its connected directly to the transmission. This is common, and to be expected in a rear wheel drive car. Those not familiar with it are used to driving front wheel drive cars.
4) takes bumps fine - you just feel them. Sports suspensions are generally firmer, because you get less performance out of a softer suspension. Whether it is worth it or not is a matter of prefference/ opinon.
5) ZISME says they are working on this. Hope they do.
6) interior look is a matter of prefference/opinion
7) See #5.
8) rear view is limited secondary to over-all shape of car. Can be fixed, but only by changing the look of the car. Many (if not most) sports cars have limited rear view because of the low-slung arrow dynamic shape of the car. It's a trade off. Wheather its worth it or not is a matter of prefference/opinion

Most of the "issues" have to do with prefference/opinion also known as taste. If the car is not to your taste, you shouldn't get it. Everything in life involves some type of compromise. How and where you draw the lines determines what is right for you.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:27 PM
goofyZ

I understand the disappointment in the quest for perfection. I'm sure when I finally get my car ,(well after the initial euphoria has waned) I will also be disapointed in some of the things that have been mentioned, But It sounds like nissan did a great job. They only had so much money to put in to this car so the price would not climb up and price it out of the market (see Z32). They chose to put their money and efforts into the engine, suspention and transmision. they made this an A-1 sportscar first.

When ever I stat to get bumed about , say the intior quality, I will find a twisty road, aim my Z at it, and GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 08:47 PM
nizl

You forgot to mention the antenna!!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:11 PM
silverstone_350z

i appreciate all of your replies.

As far as the car and the "problems", i guess it is good to see that these things will not affect you that much. Unfortunatly, it bothers me. i dont care what people say about the price, because 27 G isnt cheap. I think Nissan could have done a better job with some of the things i mentioned, i dont care what the price is.

As i am reading some of your posts, i realze that most of the things i listed is due to the fact that it is a sports car. Well, i have never driven a real sports car, and i guess this is why all these factors came as a surprise to me. i know see why it doesnt come as a disappointment to most of you, since some of you might have owned sporty cars. I drive a 328 ci BMW , so you might be able to see where i am coming from, and maybe why it came off as a "problem" to me.

now, when you people say "that is subjective", well, i disagree there completely. the reason being is... remember C&D's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? those are also subjective, but why did some of us complain? i didnt see anybody saying "well, this is subjective, chill out". my point is that when people get information, it sometimes is from a subjective manner. weather it is books, newspapers, etc.
so, telling me my opinion on the interior is subjective, i agree. but what you read in the papers is subjective, what you hear on the CNN radio station is subjetive, but we seem to believe that information because it comes from a valuable source, and knowing that, we tend to believe it. When some of us read some positive articles on the Z, we didnt say "well, it is subjective, wait for the car to come out" instead, we jumped for joy and believed it, partly because it came from a valuable source. get my point?

Just a thought here, but could there be biased opinions on this issue? i mean, if some of you Z lovers (includin me) read that some Honda had all of these issues, you really wouldnt care??
there really would be no disappointment? just a thought.
thanx again for those who shared their opinions.

and lets not forget that this car has not arrived yet. some1 has posted to see the car before i say anything. Well, is that possible? i dont think so. So, since the car hasnt came in production yet, and most of us have not seen the car in person, we can only chat about the z with the tools that were given to us, which in this matter, would be articles..

Last edited by silverstone_350z; 07-09-2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:51 PM
silverstone_350z

JDZ..

i never said 27k is alot. i said it wasnt cheap. meaning, it is affordable, but not everyone can afford it. i would say 15-23 k is cheap.
my car was 38k, and i dont consider that alot either.

neither did i say i wanted porche performance (why would i, we already got it) bmw interior and nissan reliability all at once. i never said that, and i wouldnt say that. if that was the case, then the car would be over 55k or so. if you read my post carefully, you will see this. what i did do was address some concerns that artciles published and wanted to see what people thought about all this..

thanx for ur post bud
Old 07-09-2002, 10:53 PM
Sanderman

i appreciate all of your replies.

As far as the car and the "problems", i guess it is good to see that these things will not affect you that much. Unfortunatly, it bothers me. i dont care what people say about the price, because 27 G isnt cheap. I think Nissan could have done a better job with some of the things i mentioned, i dont care what the price is.

As i am reading some of your posts, i realze that most of the things i listed is due to the fact that it is a sports car. Well, i have never driven a real sports car, and i guess this is why all these factors came as a surprise to me. i know see why it doesnt come as a disappointment to most of you, since some of you might have owned sporty cars. I drive a 328 ci BMW , so you might be able to see where i am coming from, and maybe why it came off as a "problem" to me.

Then get more familiar with sport cars. The money to make a car gets divided across a lot of prioroties. Sports cars routinely trade off creature comforts and practicalities for performance. If you want convenience and cup holders buy a Taurus.

You drive a BMW? Given that I've never been impressed with the interior materials, interior style or value per dollar in any sub 7 series Bimmer I've ever sat in I don't see where that's relevant at all as a point of comparison.

And regarding your list - If these sorts of things bother you don't get a Z or any sports car for that matter. You sound more like a GT sort of guy who would be happier in a Sedan or coupe vs. a true sports car.

joe
Old 07-10-2002, 02:36 AM
ToddLuc

Default Re: z problems!

alright folks, after reading like a total of 6 articles or so, i have realized that there are some characteristics of the z that bother me a little, and i want to know what you guys think!
1) Doorsills too high for some people

- buy a Saturn if this is a problem

2) no glovebox

- it's a sports car. They don't have glove boxes. Check behind the seat. That is good enough

3) vibrations through gearbox at certain rpm

Over-hype. Let's wait and see.

4) doesnt take bumps very good (forgot where i read that)

- isn't that the point? I want a stiff suspension, not a Lexus luxury suspension. Buy the G35 if you want that.

- I bought the Nav. No problem.

6) cheap interior look

- for you maybe. I love it, personally.

7) cup holder next to knee can be broken if driver moves his/her leg (i persoanlly think this is dumb to talk about, but it is something i wanted to bring to your attention)

- don't drink in the car. Bad rule to allow. Can't you wait until you get where you are going? This feature will NEVER be used by me or anyone in my Z.

8) rear view is very limited.

- it looked excellent from a previous post.

As you can see, we can make drama out of all of this. For me, this is one perfect, yes perfect, car.

Regards,
Todd
Old 07-10-2002, 02:39 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by dvlad
10. No telescoping sterring wheel. My GS4 has it and i love it.
11. NO XENON high beams.
10. No telescoping sterring wheel. My GS4 has it and i love it.

- do you want a GS4, or a Z? I personally love the Z.

11. NO XENON high beams.

- I thought it had the HID lights for dim/high?

Regards,
Todd
Old 07-10-2002, 02:42 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by VQracer

this program is probably saving most of us a buncha money.
... and it is an exclusive, limited edition idea for us to treasure.

What's stupid is to walk into a dealership and "order" a car, where they locate one that sounds like yours and ships it over. All this after being tested by countless hundreds of people.

Our pre-order will be, hopefully, undriven and... wait for it... brand new, ordered to our exact specification! Stupid? No, I don't think so.

Regards,
Todd
Old 07-10-2002, 02:42 AM
nizl

Default Re: Re: z problems!

Originally posted by ToddLuc

- I bought the Nav. No problem.
He's talking about the cover to the NAV, which most everyone has said is flimsy and does not operate well. However, it should be noted that ZISME came on a while ago and claimed this has been fixed for production.

Quick Reply: z problems!