Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Almost bit the dust!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 07:33 AM
FLETCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost bit the dust!!

It kinda seems Bizarre, but I almost was the hood ornament of a Giant Dump truck and I feel the urge to tell the group. I was driving to work this morning (on US27 for those in the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area) and was merging into traffic when some Soccer Mom in a mini van almost rams right into me. To avoid being hit I had to Cut hard right which took me off the road. They've been paving the roads in the area so there was tons of those little gravel ***** all over the side of the road, not to mention the fact that it was wet out. I took the car off the road to avoid the hit, then hit the gravel and wet grass and was heading towards the canal which boarders the road. I then had to compensate to the left to get away from the canal, but traction was difficult on the gravel and wet grass. The car was rocking like crazy and I felt it trying to correct it self. The car them works it's way back onto the road, but now I'm facing the traffic head on. My car is now sliding and spinning acrooss three lanes off traffic with a nice big dumptruck going by. It is truly amazing how time seems to slow down in instances like this. It felt like slow motion. I had time to look at the surroundings and look at the truck as it was coming my way. I continued my spin, all the while mssing all of the oncoming cars, and landing in the middle of the opposite median. It's hard to believe, but no one stopped. I got out of the car and thanked my lucky stars. The tires were smoking and I have about 6 inches of dirt and grass piled into the wheel wells. I thought for sure the tires were blown or some damage to the car. I got the car back onto the road and I check all the tires out and not even a bald spot. My wife has a baby due in April and the whole world was running through my head. Even though I was spinning all over the place due to the gravell and the wet grass, when I let go of the steering wheel I could feel the car working on its own to compensate and correct the situation. Maybe it's jsut my love for the car, but I fell like it saved me from goinf into the canal or just flipping over. Thanks for listening. I just needed tell someone.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:44 AM
WayneTN

Man, glad you're OK! It could have been a whole lot worse, as you certainly know. Hope you get your Z cleaned up (seat and all ).

Good thing you were driving defensively.
WayneTN
Old 02-18-2003, 08:19 AM
WashUJon

Holy crap, dude! I'm glad you're ok!

I am also really disappointed that not a single sole stopped to see if you were all right. I'd never leave you sitting there after that. People just don't give a rat's *** about anyone else...

Old 02-18-2003, 02:38 PM
Black Out

Wow, it's a good thing you're alright. I have to echo what WashUJon said about no one stopping to see if you were alright. People are in such a hurry these days...
Old 02-18-2003, 02:40 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank god you're ok. You had an angel watching over you, and it was it was in the form of the Z
Old 02-18-2003, 02:44 PM
papo470

if i could i would of followed that woman in the minivan and cursed her to hell, the roads are full of stupid people that can't drive because they don't pay attention nor importance to driving.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:47 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Wow. Give the wife & the Z a big hug!!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:12 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If that ever happened to me, id get back in the Z, chase down the soccer mom and bust a grand theft auto on her ***. ****in A. Glad to hear you're alive and well.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:53 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default a truly wonderful story with a happy ending

The Z did a great job together with your driving skill....but....

I believe that there was somebody or something riding with you as your co-pilot on that terrible ride.

I am so happy you are ok - and there was no injury or accident with minimal-to-no damage to your Z.

Yes... it is strange how everything slows down to almost slow motion during those types of situations.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:59 PM
rummya87

glad to hear that you're alright!! man .... VCD DOES work .... glad to hear everythings ok and the z took minimal damage. man, SUVs dont belong on the road, damn soccer moms
Old 02-18-2003, 06:10 PM
sage

Glad to hear you are OK.

I completely understand what you mean about time slowing down. I spun my Mustang GT last year on a major road here with lots of traffic that usually is going 45 mph+, and when it happened, I remember everything slowing down. I went through a mental checklist in my brain. Insurance? Registration? License? Any illegal substances in the car ?. It was somehow comforting as I went through that checklist because I decided that it was OK if I got hit cause I knew I was going to spin into the oncoming traffic.

Fortunately for me, the car slid into a little triangle island that was part of the oncoming traffic left hand turn lane. The car spun around and came to a hard stop in the turn lane facing the correct way (Opposit the way I had been driving?. Once my heat slowed down, I put the blinker on and turned left, and then parked for a few minutes.

Spmeone was definitely watching out for you today.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:22 AM
padam07

I am glas that you are OK and made it out alright with no damage. I do have a question and I would like you to clarify it for me. You said that youwere merging onto a road when a minivan al most rammed you. Was the minivan coming towards you in the right lane? Did you have a yield sign? If you did then I think that this might be your fault.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:01 AM
FLETCH

I thank everyone for there thoughts and concern. I still feel a little weird. Dramatic events like this make you think about life and whats inportant. In regards to your comment, The highway has three lanes on each side. I was already in the median when I joined the flow of traffic. I took the far right lane and proceeded to work like I do every day. Now a car in the left lane decided without looking to come right into my lane while I was still in it. I couldn't go left and I couldn't slam on the brakes because a Dumptruck was behind me. My only option was to go off the road and I had to do it quick.. I was about to get slammed in the side, so my instant reaction was to find safe ground. My only option was the grass median o the right. On a dry day that didn't have recent construction, I would of been fine. The combination of the wet grass, gravel and I'm travelling highway speed(55) is not a good combo to make an eveasive maneuver in. I looked over the car again and the only thing I can notice are some scratches fromt he gravel beeing kicked up and thrown against the car. I'm probably gonna try and take it in for service this weekend and have them check it out. Thanks again for listening.

Last edited by FLETCH; 02-19-2003 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:12 AM
jester

Ditto on what others have said here. I'm glad you're OK....

One thing though, I would still take it to the dealership and have them look at it. I would tell them what happended and just have it checked out for your piece of mind. But thats just me

Again, I'm very glad your ok.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:54 PM
rjsmit1

Originally posted by rummya87
glad to hear that you're alright!! man .... VCD DOES work .... glad to hear everythings ok and the z took minimal damage. man, SUVs dont belong on the road, damn soccer moms
Darn- SUV's take the heat even when it was a mini van that did the crime... this is a good demonstration of what happens to the collective psyche when something becomes politically incorrect.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:49 PM
z-extreme

You really can't appreciate something like that unless you've been there yourself. Word on being OK. Went through that just over 2 weeks ago on a similar scale.