Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Battery Life

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 05:54 PM
xjongsangx80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetracer
I am not a mechanic, but I am a chemist and I can tell you this: The battery function is a chemical reaction. Chemistry is the driving force behind the magics of batteries.

A battery is a package of one or more galvanic cells used for the production and storage of electric energy by chemical means. A galvanic cell consists of at least two half cells, a reduction cell and an oxidation cell.

These two reactions happen spontaneously and produce ions/electrons. The flow of electrons is called electricity, and the force of the flow of electrons is called electromotive force and is measured in VOLTS. The important part to remember is electrons and volts.

The volts of a battery is listed on its side and for a AA battery it is 1.5 volts. The 1.5 volts Which is called the cell (battery) potential is measured using a complex equation called the Nernst equation at room temperature 25° C, pressure, and concentration of electrons. If you would decrease the temperature not as many electrons are produced and your battery dies quicker. In a car battery the lower temperature makes the concentraion of the electrons in the battery acid (H2SO4) lower and then it will not produce the correct amount of volts. If the temperature is higher than the normal operating temperature, in this case room temperature 25° C, there will be too many electrons produced and the battery will overload and possibly die or shut down.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:55 PM
jt14894

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streetracer
I am not a mechanic, but I am a chemist and I can tell you this: The battery function is a chemical reaction. Chemistry is the driving force behind the magics of batteries.

A battery is a package of one or more galvanic cells used for the production and storage of electric energy by chemical means. A galvanic cell consists of at least two half cells, a reduction cell and an oxidation cell.

These two reactions happen spontaneously and produce ions/electrons. The flow of electrons is called electricity, and the force of the flow of electrons is called electromotive force and is measured in VOLTS. The important part to remember is electrons and volts.

The volts of a battery is listed on its side and for a AA battery it is 1.5 volts. The 1.5 volts Which is called the cell (battery) potential is measured using a complex equation called the Nernst equation at room temperature 25° C, pressure, and concentration of electrons. If you would decrease the temperature not as many electrons are produced and your battery dies quicker. In a car battery the lower temperature makes the concentraion of the electrons in the battery acid (H2SO4) lower and then it will not produce the correct amount of volts. If the temperature is higher than the normal operating temperature, in this case room temperature 25° C, there will be too many electrons produced and the battery will overload and possibly die or shut down.
I forgot my chemistry a long time ago, but thats interesting!
The Florida heat is not very forgiving so well see how long my battery lasts.
I'm still going for the record.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Mathys

That's it..... I'm not taking my Z outside anymore. The temperature is always outside the optimal range and I don't want to ruin my battery!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 05:20 PM
TotalChaos

just replaced mine at 39k miles
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 AM
streetracer

Mine is dying at 67k miles. Temperature where I live ranges from 29C to 35C. So its not in the optimal range of 25C. I have to say I expected more from the OEM battery. My Pathfinders (I've had three) always lasted more than that.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Miko

67k is a good figure compared to others replacing it at like 20k. Is it just a crappy battery they used to save on production? I have other cars with 80k and stock battery running strong.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:51 PM
spacemanspiff

My battery has been slowly failing over the last month...less cranking power, etc. Got the Z in 9/2002 and it has 70k miles. I think this heat wave most of us are experiencing helped do it in (I'm in SoCal). So it lasted almost 4 years. I had the dealer replace it yesterday, took a total of 1.5 hours from drive in to drive off, I just drove in Friday afternoon without an appointment and they squeezed me in-between other appointments. $99 including battery and labor. I just kicked back and read some car mags in the lobby.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
jaminkid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which brand battery do you'll use?