2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2007 350z speculations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 PM
hypeiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nissansource
umm new Z will be a VQ37DE with VVL
I thought I heard some place the new engine code was going to be like FZ37 or something.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Fletch69z

I'm sorry but G's are not skylines. Just because they carry that name in Japan, they share nothing with past skylines. There's more to a skyline than just a badge.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
I'm sorry but G's are not skylines. Just because they carry that name in Japan, they share nothing with past skylines. There's more to a skyline than just a badge.
Actually, a badge IS all it is. The G IS the Skyline in the rest of the world. Even in Japan with past Skylines, there were several models and trim levels called Skyline that were nothing special at all. It's the Skyline GT-R that is the legendary car everyone knows about.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:32 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
And I wonder if they will still carry over the "oil burning" option in 07

I got that option free from Nissan

Yeah i get to burn a whole qt every 1000 miles or so. Isn't that cool, it doesn't even matter if it's driven easy or not.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
I think a G35 is about as capable as some of the past NON-GTR skylines... check the track times...

They also had 4 door skylines in the 'past'
Old 06-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Zmazing03

Bump Power by 20% or so and the Z is back in the Game on top.
That would put it at 360 HP at the crank. That is a LOT more HP. Not to mention, how would you do this while retaining the $30,000 price tag?

And OT a bit, but how many Zs actually sell for $30,000? I've seen lots at the dealers I visited and they were all $35,000 - $37,000. Perhaps it is where I live, but I don't see dealers dropping $5000 to $7000 of sticker for this car. Not to mention, I've never seen a "stripped" Z on a lot.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by walkert
Hope this information is not a repost but here it goes.

The soul of the G35 has always been its dynamic performance and at the heart of advanced drivetrain has always been its award-winning VQ35 3.5-liter V6 engine and advanced FM (Front Mid-ship) platform. Both engine and platform have been significantly enhanced for use with the 2007 G.

The VQ-series V6, which has been named one of the "Ten Best Engines" by Ward’s Auto World magazine for 12 consecutive years, now moves into its fourth generation and has been significantly rethought, with approximately 80% of major parts (except bolts, O-rings and clips) redesigned. The block features ladder frame construction for greater rigidity, crank journal and pin diameters have been increased, the block height increased by 8.4 millimeters to reduce piston side force and the engine center is now 15 millimeters lower, which also contributes to the G’s improved dynamic performance.

Other engine enhancements include the addition of standard variable exhaust cam timing (eCVTCS), a higher rev limit (increased from 6,600 rpm to 7,500 rpm) and higher compression ratio (10.6:1 versus the previous 10.3:1), asymmetric piston skirts, twin knock sensors, improved coolant flow and new Iridium spark plugs.

A new symmetric twin ram air intake system helps reduce airflow resistance by 18% and a new exhaust system design with equal length exhaust manifolds and reduced muffler exhaust pressure (25% less than the first generation G35) help improve engine breathing. Both are tuned to create authoritative harmonies, helping enhance driving pleasure.

All that is good for how much HP/ Tq.?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

300hp & 3000lbs = 350hp & 3500lbs straight line
300hp & 3000lbs > 350hp & 3500lbs corners
Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by nitrouz
300hp & 3000lbs = 350hp & 3500lbs straight line
300hp & 3000lbs > 350hp & 3500lbs corners
Exactly...Nissan doesnt get it...The next Z will be at least 3500 lbs and about 330hp I bet ya....The Saturn Sky Redline et al will be wooping us in turns thanks to Nissans obsession with adding more weight to there sports cars....Even the Skyline is rumered to be in the 3800lb range and around only 450hp...It will be down on power much heavier so it will be playing back up to Porsches/Z06/Vipers in turns and the straights...If they are gonna do that to there flagship car the Z has no chance of being a lightweight sportscar...I think the new shape might be nice but if the performance isnt significantly better than the 03-06 Z, Im keeping my 05...
Old 06-03-2006, 06:03 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly true on the weight issue. On the other hand the new 911 Turbo weighs an outrageous amount for a sports car and is fast as all get out with handling to match, so it all depends on the total package. Where the Z is concerned, I have no idea why on Earth they would want to add weight to it; just doesn't make sense. One would think that with the GT-R coming, they would keep the Z as simple and pure as possible.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:17 AM
WalkerT
Professional

Tell that to the sports car buyer that ops for the Nav, Leather, 6disc, satradio, auto climate, TCS, VDC, cruise, and blue tooth. Pure my a**.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:26 AM
n8vz

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Exactly...Nissan doesnt get it...The next Z will be at least 3500 lbs and about 330hp I bet ya....The Saturn Sky Redline et al will be wooping us in turns thanks to Nissans obsession with adding more weight to there sports cars....Even the Skyline is rumered to be in the 3800lb range and around only 450hp...It will be down on power much heavier so it will be playing back up to Porsches/Z06/Vipers in turns and the straights...If they are gonna do that to there flagship car the Z has no chance of being a lightweight sportscar...I think the new shape might be nice but if the performance isnt significantly better than the 03-06 Z, Im keeping my 05...
Nissan is adding weight and price to a Z? That was what killed the Z32.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:56 AM
SnakeBitten

Originally Posted by n8vz
Nissan is adding weight and price to a Z? That was what killed the Z32.
Sadly history repeats itself...I hope hey are not throwing all there eggs in one basket[the Skyline] and neglecting the car thats been there bread and butter sportscar in terms of sales in America.....Who is to say the American public is ready to pay upwards of 70-80g for a Japanese Supercar now...They didnt back in the 90's with the NSX or even the outrageously marked up Supra....The NSX still isnt selling today while the Supra, RX7 and VR-4 have all died and have remained so...The Japanese have gotten Americans swallow paying 70-80k for luxury cars...But it remains to be seen if the same will be for a sportscar that will be priced in the Porsche league..

The Z came back strong and I hope its not on the back burner now that Nissans focus is the Skyline...The Skyline wont be the bread and butter sportscar for the company that the Z has become, not for the asking price...Those Z crowd as a whole aint gonna be buying Skylines...It would make sence to make the Z still affordable, light and powerful enough to stay ahead of the competition while still expanding the brandname with the Skyline. This will ensure repeat buyers...I myself will probably jump to teh next EVO that comes out because I think Mitsu is more commited to producing an affordable but completely focused sportscar..I doubt the New Z will be able to handle the new EVO....Nissan could have two class toppers in two segments of the market..Entry level sportscar and premium sportscar..I think that should their goal but if they lose focus with the moneymaking Z they could end up with two cars that dont sell well. One would be too expensive for current owners to justify steping up to especially if the performance isnt leaps and bounds over the current car and it isnt class leading..And the other would be too expensive to be taken seriously by the American public...Again...Lets hope my pessimistic outlook isnt reality....
Old 06-03-2006, 07:15 AM
driftk1d

wow^^^+1
Old 06-03-2006, 07:52 AM
maxpowers

I like that new redline.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:19 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by sq40
Nissan has to do something.. The 350Z was a real coup-de-torte for its price point, but now there is a whole host of 300hpish cars for the same price or less. Granted none are as sexy, but it still hurts. Bump Power by 20% or so and the Z is back in the Game on top.
I agree. Lots of family sedans are putting out near 260-290 hp. Sort of embarrassing. But a supercharger can fix that
Old 06-03-2006, 08:35 AM
Mid117

Originally Posted by Zmazing03
And OT a bit, but how many Zs actually sell for $30,000? I've seen lots at the dealers I visited and they were all $35,000 - $37,000. Perhaps it is where I live, but I don't see dealers dropping $5000 to $7000 of sticker for this car. Not to mention, I've never seen a "stripped" Z on a lot.
I bought a 'stripped' Z right off the dealer showroom, for $26k + taxes.

Your right though, there are many more loaded, pricey Z's than basic ones. Who really needs heated leather seats or a navigation system in a sports car?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:41 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hopefully the tranny synchro grind feature will also be included with this new motor setup
Old 06-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The magazine rumor is the new VQ is 330hp at the crank, and will be in the new G as such. The next Z will be released a year later with God knows what improvements. As far as weight is concerned, Nissan is playing to the market. Most buyers don't want a sports car, they want a "sporty car". When I had mine for sale, I think only one person didn't ask about it having leather, nav, or traction control. Everyone else wanted the creature comforts in their car that add weight. The new Z has more sound deadening and received better reviews from companies like Consumer Reports for it. I think the majority of the population will drive a car like the Z, figure they look good in it, figure it feels pretty fast, and like the creature comforts such as nav and leather and electronic aids to make them feel safe. They will never take it racing or to the track, they might run hard off a stoplight, and maybe go for scenic drives. Therefore, the croud that wants a lightweight, all business, think 911 GT3 for the Z type ride won't have that much consideration except as a seperate model. I think Nissan would be smart to continue making the Z as comfortable as possible for the masses to keep sales up, and use that revenue to make and support a special trim for the die-hards and get involved in racing like the Speed World Challenge. That way the folks who want a real sports car get it, and the folks who just want a "sporty car" can have theirs with a good racing heritage to go with it. Most people love to think that their car is a "race car" while they sport around town in a diluted model (monte carlo anyone?) and their purchases make that racing more possible, and hopefully provide some of us with an actual sports car to go racing in. Imagine the bread and butter 330hp 3500lb Z with roughly the same performance figures that we enjoy now. most people would be happy with that and the Z would sell well, I mean look at the fact they added cup holders for crying out loud- that's not there for the tuner market. With good sales, Nissan could campaign a Z in racing besides Super GT, and then figure a stripped, lightweight version with a CF roof and a 360hp 3.5L or 3.7L V6 and maybe even a NISMO adj suspension standard, and do like Subaru and throw in a one year complimentary SCCA membership to boot. That would be cool as hell. Just dreaming though I suppose.
Will

Quick Reply: 2007 350z speculations?