Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

****ing Mechanic!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ****ing Mechanic!!

Ok, so some of you may know, that I got into a small little accident, when swerving to avoid a deer. I cracked the front bumper a little at the bottom, and the mechanic informed me that I needed a new radiator cause it was slightly cracked (can metal crack?). I wasn't in the mood to question so I said go ahead. Well I picked it up today and was driving home in this aweful rain. I notice that the AC wasnt working....then I looked at my dials, and the engine was running a little hot.....I figured, they didnt do something completely right with the new radiator. So I continue driving really slow (keeping the revs low), and Im on a major road, when without notice, the engine shuts down, and I (luckily) found a spot to pull over. Let her cool for a few min, then decided to drive her home as I was really close to my house. I again never whent over 45, kept the revs low, and the turn the AC full heat, full blast...this was the only way I could keep the engine from overheating, and the needle was running awefully north of what it should. Thankfully I made it home, and opened the hood to let her cool off on the garage.

What the hell should I do. They did have a lifetime warenty on all parts and labor and Im definately not gonna drive her anymore. Im about to call them up and see if they can tow (or carry) my car back to the shop to work on it.

Could something have broken during my hot drive? What should I tell the mechanic (after giving him a polite peice of my mind)? Is there anything I can do in the meantime?
Old 02-22-2003, 12:45 PM
ZON

You haven't called them yet!!!

They are responsible for everything. They will send a truck over and put her on it. Did you check the coolant in the radiator. Maybe they did not put any in it.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:05 PM
g35or350z

Thats horrible. Hope you get this matter fixed. But turning on the AC full blast will only make the car run hotter.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Brad4rdHay

Wont turning on the heat cool the engine, I saw that a while ago on one of the Best Motoring Videos.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:40 PM
DrDrilZ

turn on the heat but dont use the A/C.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Brad4rdHay

I checked the coolant resevour and it looks awefully low...I think it could be that....that would **** me off, something as simple as that.

BTW I did call when I came home but the only person there is the receptionist and the poor woman really didnt know anything, but I told her to get in touch with the head guy to get the thing hauled back there to get it cheked out. The car also needs to be re-aliagned and the wheel nuts have to be tightened so Ill have em do that there as well.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Brad4rdHay

Oh yeah, whats the deal with the AC not working. What I mean is no matter where I set it it was blowing cold air. Is that directly related to the problem with the radiator?
Old 02-22-2003, 04:20 PM
DmitryZ

Default long post

I don't know the details of your accident (pictures?), and I could not really tell what broke from the previous post (radiator for power steering? or the actual radiator?). But if you only had a small crack in the bumper I seriously doubt that the impact was hard enough for the radiator to crack (yes metal can crack). Lets put it this way, if you drove the car away after your accident and your radiator (for engine cooling) was cracked you would have definitely noticed it. There would be a lot of steam coming from the hood and you probably would not get very far.

As far as AC not working:

Ok I am not a mechanic but here is my understanding of the AC system (feel free to correct me). AC has two major functions: 1. it removes heat from the air making it cooler and 2. it makes the air dry in the process.

The heat that the A/C system removes from the cabin air is thrown back into the engine making engine compartment hotter.

When you set your air control dial to windshield to get rid of the foggy windows, your a/c turns on automatically. Air goes thru A/C system making it cold/dry. Dry air readily absorbs all the water on your windshield and presto: the foggy windows are cleared. Now if you set your temperature control to hot-the air still goes trough the A/C system making it cold/dry, however, it is then heated by your regular heating system making hot dry air. The regular heating system generates heat from the coolant leaving the engine going into the radiator. The actual process is a little bit more complicated (regular heating system and A/C are interlaced) but this is just a basic explanation. When you turn on just your heat without pressing the A/C button or setting the dial to front window, the heating system takes the heat away from the engine coolant and uses it to heat incoming air into the cabin-makes the engine cooler and the cabin hotter.
However, if the A/C is on- the regular heating system still takes the heat away from the engine but the A/C is contributing a lot more heat back to your engine. Hence it is counterproductive, as far as making the engine cooler, to set your temperature on hot and turn on the a/c.

If your engine is overheating you should turn the A/C off, set the air to blow into the cabin (not windshield), set the temperature to hot and be prepared to sweat (been there done that!)

Because the engine coolant is related to your heating system: problem with antifreeze=no heat=A/C will only blow hot air but remember the actual system is a lot more complicated.

Sorry to ramble, I just try to explain so everyone can understand.

Like I said this is just the basics, feel free to correct me – I am rusty on my thermodynamics.

Hope you sort out your problems soon. Make sure you go to a different mechanic next time.

Dmitry
Old 02-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Brad4rdHay

Heres what broke, as a result frommy accident: black plastic radiator support was cracked, the fonrt bumper was cracked at the botom three times (looks like I ran into a parking spot curb), the front underbody difusor was cracked....and when the mechanic got in there, he said that I needed a new radiator because it was affected to (perhaps it was just scuffed up in the front alot?). Hell even my LED sidemarkers were unafected. Im definately questioning this guy when I go there again.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:52 AM
DmitryZ

I have been wrong before (many many times) but something just doesn't make sense. From your other post: the mechanic told you it was the tranny fluid that was leaking. From what I know you have a 6sp and in that post someone suggested that the fluid could have been from the power steering.

Any remotely adept mechanic should be able to tell the difference between power steering fluid and tranny fluid or whatever. I can. Did the mechanic actually show you any of the parts that were broken? Why did they change the radiator if the power steering was leaking?

Your underbody diffuser is cracked? I thought only the track model came with the diffuser + you have no aero package. I am confused.

Umm... Quoting your previous post "the wheel nuts have to be tightened " WHAT!?!? Please tell me you are joking. If the mechanic ever forgot to tighten my wheel nuts not only would I open a can of whopass on him I would sue that place as well.

When I go to get my car fixed, I am always skeptical of mechanic suddenly finding things that are broken. I always, always get the mechanic to show me the broken piece on my car. I want to see the damage. I don't trust anyone - I used to work in a car shop.

Like I said: I have been wrong before but something just doesn't seem right. I would go to a different mechanic. Just my opinion.

Keep us updated

Dmitry
Old 02-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Brad4rdHay

Since the wheels are new, they needed to be tightened after about 100 miles of driving....

The underbody difusor is the front peice of the aero package (which I have) and that flat horizontal plastic plate under the front of the car.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:06 PM
DmitryZ

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Since the wheels are new, they needed to be tightened after about 100 miles of driving....
Why?

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
The underbody difusor is the front peice of the aero package (which I have) and that flat horizontal plastic plate under the front of the car.
I didn't know that...you should update your signature.

Dmitry

P.S. please reply, I am very curious about the wheel tightening thing.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Brad4rdHay

Ive been told that new wheels should be tightened after about 100 miles or so as tthey may not be used to heating up and cooling down. Sure, the place that put on the wheels said this, but they also said they would do it for free...

They are picking up the car tomorow and I'm really gonna question this guy alot. He could just simplified everything down so I could "understand it" I wish I held off until I talked to him a second time, but he (and I wanted to order the parts ASAP.