Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 03 350Z or Slightly Used 02 NSX. . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 09:04 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DmitryZ
Yeah, thanks for cutting down all the chices. Why don't you just say: "assuming someone doesn't want to get anything else than an nsx" lol

Seriously, if you had an extra 35K to spend for a used car, an NSX would your top choice? I guess everyone has their preferences.

Well since you severely cut down my list for faster/better how about more interesting (assuming it would not be a daily driver)?
Personally, a 308 or 328 would be on the top of my list. maybe an E-type or how about 1969 Espada?

Anyway, how did this get started again? lol

Oh yeah... DBZ definately go for the NSX

Dmitry
let me explain.

some people don't want to buy a used car that is a turbo (for obvious reasons), me included (reliability of an old turbo car VS a NA Honda/acura is a NO-brainer for those of use that Don't want to MOD the hell out of it, and want a very reliable but fast car (btw, ever pay for repairs or even just MAINTAiNANCE on a 328???)

also I don't LIKE american cars either. Contrary to what some may think, many of us actually respect Honda/Acura for the reliablity issue and the GREAT performance of a NSX, again, the ONLY thing to me that would be close is a 993, BUT I would have to think long and hard about purchasing a used air-cooled car as well.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:07 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, a 308 to me is EXTREMELY dated in design and doing 0-60 in 7.2 is HARDLY what I would consider a great performance car in this day and age (assuming the perfomance and NOT "gee whiz factor" is a GOAL)
Old 02-22-2003, 09:15 PM
DmitryZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will just have to agree to disagree.

lol

Dmitry
Old 02-22-2003, 09:36 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new car, that you can drive with zippo payment, or 5-600$ a month for a used one...

the NSX is faster, but definitly not twice as fast... and with the extra 30grand I PROMISE you could make the Z WAY faster than the NSX and a better handler as well. the Z is only down by 3hp... and has more torque. obviously there is WAYYYY more to a car than this. but just tossing it out there, makes you wonder what else there is that is costing so damn much.

of course the NSX will always have a sense of exclusive-ness. still not sure its worth 30grand.

anyway, get whatever you want, no doubt youll be happy with either choice when driving.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Jordan350Z

use that cash to buy the Z.

i love the NSX but it's not worth an extra 30K. i also hate pre-owned cars, i wanna be the only person who's driven my cars.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Inova

Default depends

depends on if ure willing to finance or if u wanna be debt free. the nsx is a steal deal but it might not be worth the extra money.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:50 PM
hoopjones

NSX is not worth the extra dough IMO. The only reason to get it is to be exclusive and have a supercar. Only problem is that most people don't know that the NSX is a "supercar"! But in terms of performance it is not twice a Z, and like ares said you could mod the Z to make it easily much faster than a stock NSX.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:39 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default went down the same road

Wanted the Z...but thought about..

1/ last generation RX-7 to roll off the assembly line in July 2002 for about US$ 33,000 -- but old --

2/ last generation GTR-R34... new to roll of the assembly line around July 2002.....for around US$ 54,000 -- expensive... but 5 year old technology and expensive...

3/ used GTR-R34... (around 2-3 years old) a little more expense as a new Z (not base)... about us$ 37,000-40,000)... but not sure of the quality -- and it has older technology --

Summary -- the NSX is very nice... and sounds like a good bargain used. The used NSX is certainly more expensive than a new Z. If you are absolutely certain of the background of the NSX, that you have had it checked out mechanically, and if you can afford it -- I would go with NSX.

I love my new Z..... could afford a better car... but that is what I wanted... with future upgrades.

Good luck.. and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:04 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Almost forgot to mention...

I went out on a long drive today.. and stopped for lunch in a city parking area. I parked next to an NSX - red... about a 1995 model...

Wow... the NSX has a lot lower roofline that the new Z.... close to my old Z32.....

Still love me new Z... especially after my future mods... !!

S-tune here -- here we come.....
Old 02-23-2003, 02:53 AM
DMONTE

Don't forget to take into consideration the total redesign of the NSX is way past due and probably will happen soon, the consensus is most likely a lot more power but no more aluminum body so the price can be in the mid '60s
Old 02-23-2003, 06:00 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mid 60's? its around 90 now, and they admit to losing money on every one they sell. I think alot more than no aluminum body is needed to drop 30k off an already too low for profit price.

I think the problem is acura NSX is not a name that brings in exotic car buyers. specially when it has no power to back it up, exotic and V6 dont go together.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:22 AM
belkmike

The satisfaction of being totally debt free and driving a 350Z is greater than the satifaction of driving an NSX.

I made the same decision as you. If I can't pay cash for it, I can't have it.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:35 AM
cotmfk

If not being in debt is important to you, then your choice is clear: the Z! It is very admirable and rare now to buy a car outright. I know people do it, but not that many. Not being in debt is almost priceless. I would go for the Z if I were in your shoes (which I would like to be in a quandry such as that!).
Old 02-23-2003, 08:10 AM
DMONTE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ares
[B]mid 60's? its around 90 now, and they admit to losing money on every one they sell. I think alot more than no aluminum body is needed to drop 30k off an already too low for profit price.

Supposedly it'll be a whole new car, they should be able to come up with something pretty good for twice the price of a S2000.
Look what Nissan was able to do for low 30s. I hope they don't have the same person style it as the recent Hondas that have been coming out they just are so bone ugly.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:14 AM
eric_c

Are you seriously considering spending $65K US for a used car that's built on a 10 year old platform? Unless you are talking CDN $$$, that's seems to be alot of money for 290 HP and 224 ft-lbs.

If money is not an issue, I think for that kind of cash you could get yourself into a much nicer, higher performance vehicle actually designed in the last 5 years. Don't new Z06s, M3s, C32s all sticker around $50K US?

Heck, a slightly used M5 goes for $80 000 CDN, which is like $53000 US. If you want a used car, that's the route I'd take.

This is an old platform, designed in the early 90's, and the price is more a reflection of the extensive use of aluminum and the low volume than it is a reflection of this car's performance.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:34 AM
TriX

NSX used defeniately not.

Get a new Z upgrade it. Or 03 m3. Or a 03 Z06.

Don't get me wrong NSX is nice but last few yrs ACURA has lost their minds with that car. New one is 90 K
Old 02-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Jason

The NSX didn't get a whole lot of respect in my area. Typically when I told people NSX, they would think of the RSX. The Ferrari and Porsche guys wrote it off as just an over-glorafied Honda.

If had $65,000ish to spend on a car, I'd personally be looking at a new Dodge Viper or BMW M3.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Jason

Originally posted by ares

the NSX is faster, but definitly not twice as fast... and with the extra 30grand I PROMISE you could make the Z WAY faster than the NSX and a better handler as well. the Z is only down by 3hp... and has more torque. obviously there is WAYYYY more to a car than this. but just tossing it out there, makes you wonder what else there is that is costing so damn much.

of course the NSX will always have a sense of exclusive-ness. still not sure its worth 30grand.

anyway, get whatever you want, no doubt youll be happy with either choice when driving.
Let me tell you, don't even bother comparing these cars HP numbers. I drove a 3L which has less HP than the Z, and there is no doubt that it was a faster all around car.

I'd also like to point out that the NSX is a considerably more dangerous car It's almost impossible to recover it from snap oversteer, and the traction control system only makes matters worse
Old 02-23-2003, 08:48 AM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by eric_c
This is an old platform, designed in the early 90's, and the price is more a reflection of the extensive use of aluminum and the low volume than it is a reflection of this car's performance.
As old as it may be, it still performs pretty damn well. The NSX is pretty successful in the JDM racing circuits.

And if you ever get bored w/ the NSX horsepower, than a Comptech supercharger is just a phone call away...

Michael.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:09 AM
eric_c

The point is, for significantly less $$$ a Z06 will destroy an NSX on and off the track, as will a number of other cars in the $50 to $65K bracket.

The car simply fails to justify its price. And to spend $80K US on a car only to have to spend another $5K on a supercharger to get the car's performance to the level of its peers is ridiculous. For the much dough, the car should perform straight out of the box.

When the NSX first came out, there's no doubt that it was an engineer tour-de-force. But the competition has had 10 years to catch-up.

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
As old as it may be, it still performs pretty damn well. The NSX is pretty successful in the JDM racing circuits.

And if you ever get bored w/ the NSX horsepower, than a Comptech supercharger is just a phone call away...

Michael.

Quick Reply: New 03 350Z or Slightly Used 02 NSX. . .