Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 03 350Z or Slightly Used 02 NSX. . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 12:05 PM
phreezee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NSX!
Old 02-23-2003, 01:01 PM
DmitryZ

Originally posted by eric_c
The point is, for significantly less $$$ a Z06 will destroy an NSX on and off the track, as will a number of other cars in the $50 to $65K bracket.

The car simply fails to justify its price. And to spend $80K US on a car only to have to spend another $5K on a supercharger to get the car's performance to the level of its peers is ridiculous. For the much dough, the car should perform straight out of the box.

When the NSX first came out, there's no doubt that it was an engineer tour-de-force. But the competition has had 10 years to catch-up.
I agree. Right on the money!
Old 02-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by eric_c
The point is, for significantly less $$$ a Z06 will destroy an NSX on and off the track, as will a number of other cars in the $50 to $65K bracket.
Yes, you are correct. A Z06 will destroy an NSX. However, the point of this thread is a new 350Z or a used 2002 NSX.

The car simply fails to justify its price. And to spend $80K US on a car only to have to spend another $5K on a supercharger to get the car's performance to the level of its peers is ridiculous. For the much dough, the car should perform straight out of the box.
A Z06 will also destroy anything less than a Ferrari 360 (i.e. 355, 348, etc.). A Z06 is also a competitive performer against the 911 Turbo. If I had the moolah, I'd rather have those cars instead of the Z06. At least w/ an NSX, you have Honda refinement/reliability and a way to level the playing field w/ a S/C.

If you want to justify performance & value, then why did you get a 350 since you can also get a used C5 or a Z06? For me (regarding the NSX), it's having an 8000rpm exotically-built (i.e. VTEC, titanium connecting rods, CRM cylinder walls, etc.) engine just wailing behind you. It's having that F1 (or F-16 fighter) seating position & view. It's a reliable exotic that even got Ferrari to open its eyes (without the NSX, the 360 would be as unreliable as the 348) *shrug* But that's just me.

Michael.

Last edited by Michael-Dallas; 02-23-2003 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:48 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Yes, you are correct. A Z06 will destroy an NSX. However, the point of this thread is a new 350Z or a used 2002 NSX.

A Z06 will also destroy anything less than a Ferrari 360 (i.e. 355, 348, etc.). A Z06 is also a competitive performer against the 911 Turbo. If I had the moolah, I'd rather have those cars instead of the Z06. At least w/ an NSX, you have Honda refinement/reliability and a way to level the playing field w/ a S/C.

If you want to justify performance & value, then why did you get a 350 since you can also get a used C5 or a Z06? For me (regarding the NSX), it's having an 8000rpm exotically-built (i.e. VTEC, titanium connecting rods, CRM cylinder walls, etc.) engine just wailing behind you. It's having that F1 (or F-16 fighter) seating position & view. It's a reliable exotic that even got Ferrari to open its eyes (without the NSX, the 360 would be as unreliable as the 348) *shrug* But that's just me.

Michael.
very very well said,

you guys that mention that the car has 10 year old technology NEED to do a little research into the REAL TECHNOLOGY that car has, it was WAY a head of its time and in terms of refinement and quality it is still 10 years AHEAD of a Z06 (not just talking PURE HP #s).

there are only a hand full of cars that have hte cermic cylinder walls, ti conn rods, FULL AL body, mid-engine, TRUE double wishbone F&R suspension, etc, etc....

sure HOnda can (and needs) to do better, BUT not many cars out there can surpass that car based on a "10 year old plateform", just as someone else said, just look at the success that car has had in japan against much newer designs.

btw, the HP (being 290 still) is a number that can be higher, BUT the BOTTOM line is that it still does 0-60 in 4.5 (yes, one of the mags got it that LOW, and it was NOT a Zanardi edition) to 5.0. NOT bad for such an old car, ha??

would I pay 90k for one, NOPE, but 65k for a 02 would be tempting if I were in that market.

btw, the NSX is a 10 year old design, YET it still looks more current than a Z0-6 and a Viper (OUCH!!!)
Old 02-23-2003, 05:07 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is up to date, thanks to facelifts, but underneith its not much to speak of anymore. at the time it was incredable, but now many of its features are found on cars less than half its price(start with aluminum suspension found on the Z)

and the supercharger is 10grand, not 5.

there is no question that the nsx is due for a change, so obvious, its getting one. of course I dont expect much, look at the integra replaced with RSX, 00 SI with this new minivan thing, prelude canceled, and all other acuras have got to have the most bland styling ever.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:45 PM
rodH

Originally posted by ares
it is up to date, thanks to facelifts, but underneith its not much to speak of anymore. at the time it was incredable, but now many of its features are found on cars less than half its price(start with aluminum suspension found on the Z)

and the supercharger is 10grand, not 5.

there is no question that the nsx is due for a change, so obvious, its getting one. of course I dont expect much, look at the integra replaced with RSX, 00 SI with this new minivan thing, prelude canceled, and all other acuras have got to have the most bland styling ever.
I agree, that HOnda has seemed to put out some questionable designs lately (although I like the RSX>Integra, and I owned an Integra). I also think hte new civic coupe looks good, where they screwed up is NO increase in HP and they made the Si a Hatch VS a coupe (I had a 99 Si too). Also, I think the newer CL looks MUCH better than the OLD, so hopefully the new NSX will look good as well.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:05 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

none of the cars look bad(cept the new SI, that thing is fugly) just not edgy, VERY safe designs. you wont turn your head when you see anything from honda or acura going down the road. Im sure the NSX will continue to look good, but not as good as it could or should.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Aloharacing

Default Re: New 03 350Z or Slightly Used 02 NSX. . .

I think everyone has clouded the point of the thread. He asked about which car to get- Z or NSX.

Originally posted by DBZ
[B]Ok, I don't know if this is a fair comparison, however I may have an opportunity next week to purchase a '02 NSX - T with 7000 on it for approx $65,000 OTD (This includes tax, lic, etc).
Ya gotta ask yourself- how often does an opportunity like this arise?

The vehicle is immaculate, no problems anywhere and I know the owner.
For me, the biggest thing about buying used is that I don't know what the car has been through, prior to me taking possession. You mention that you know the guy. Do you trust how he treated the car in its first 7K miles?

Assuming that I don't put on like 50K miles in the first year I could break even if I sold it after driving for a year.
Something to put on the "pro" side.
If you decide to keep it, it's still a sweet car. IMO, the body is a classic beauty (like the '93 RX-7). In 10 years, the car will still look great.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:39 PM
qirex

Z all the way.

65K for a 10 year old car??

290HP = 290HP any way you cut it.

You can talk about Honda relability all you want - then I can show you my prelude which at 76K miles had two engine seal leaks, a shot tranny went through 1 clutch, 2 sets of brake rotors, 4 sets of pads and 4 sets of tires.

Granted I drove the **** out of the car, but imagine how much $$$$ you'll spend to maintain that low-volume "exotic" especially after you throw a S/C on there???

Get a Z. Save the money.
Feel the need get a turbo.
Spend some money get a body kit and some mods
still save lots of money and have a car that will RUN CIRCLES around an NSX.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:15 PM
D'oh

Default Re: New 03 350Z or Slightly Used 02 NSX. . .

Originally posted by DBZ
Ok, I don't know if this is a fair comparison, however I may have an opportunity next week to purchase a '02 NSX - T with 7000 on it for approx $65,000 OTD (This includes tax, lic, etc).

The vehicle is immaculate, no problems anywhere and I know the owner.

The question is, is the NSX worth twice as much as a 350Z? Sticker on the NSX is approx $90K, most dealer sell them for $80K and dealer net is $75K.

I would have to take the money I was saving for the 350Z and put that down as down payment and finance about $30K. So over 5-6 years its about $500-600 a month for the vehicle.

Assuming that I don't put on like 50K miles in the first year I could break even if I sold it after driving for a year.

Damm, I don't know what to do. Your thoughts folks.

With only those two choices, I'd say the Z easily.

The NSX is a great car, but to me it is simply not worth the price (even at $65,000 that is far too expensive for the performance, IMO).

If I were in your position, however, I would seriously consider a Z06. That car is still quite a bit more than the Z, but you can get it brand new for less than the NSX. Even though the engine may be "dated" in its technology, it is still tops in power and modability. Plus, the chassis is extremely well designed. If you are looking to do AutoX's, Drag racing, or Road courses, then it may be a very rewarding vehicle.

I got the Z because it was my first sports car, fairly inexpensive (I also didn't want to finance), and very confidence inspiring. I'm looking forward to 5-8 years from now when I can go to the next level. Hopefully at that time I will be able to go to the next NSX, RX-7 or C6 vette, or maybe even GT-R.

Good luck,
D'oh!

PS. Can anyone spare some change?
Old 02-24-2003, 06:58 AM
MaxTR

Regardless of what car you want to keep, I'd still go for the NSX!! If anyhting, just temporary. @ $65K for a 2K2, you can make 10K-15K off selling it!!! That could pay 1/3 of your Z (Allowing for for some nice mods). Check around and see if you can round up a potential buyer online.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:27 AM
cotmfk

Originally posted by MaxTR
Regardless of what car you want to keep, I'd still go for the NSX!! If anyhting, just temporary. @ $65K for a 2K2, you can make 10K-15K off selling it!!! That could pay 1/3 of your Z (Allowing for for some nice mods). Check around and see if you can round up a potential buyer online.
That's a good point! Check what NADA lists it on trade in, etc...
Old 02-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Chris S

It really depends on your financial position and goals. Sports cars (and motorcycles, in my case) are frivolous toys IMO, and I think I should pay cash to justify their purchase. The NSX would be a sweet ride, but think of all the other things you could do w/ that monthly payment. Also, should you get laid off or otherwise face a deterioration in your finances, a note-free car would be nice to have (though you’d suffer much less a depr. hit on the NSX should you decide to sell. Another consideration is that owning an NSX is prob. much more stressful, since you’d worry about it more.

Lots of good points to consider in this thread, so I won’t rehash them…but:
- have you sat in it? They don’t have much headroom – I barely squeezed in w/ a helmet @ a trackday (I’m 5’11”).
- what about insurance? That aluminum body is difficult and pricey to fix, and your rates should reflect that.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:41 PM
steve c

I'd also like to point out that the NSX is a considerably more dangerous car It's almost impossible to recover it from snap oversteer, and the traction control system only makes matters worse
Err -- not really. Snap oversteer is the result of driver error -- so in a sense recovery starts with learning how to give the proper inputs. The NSX's TCS is not the best -- but it is worlds better than some out there -- BMW's ASC for instance.

I agree with Eric. The NSX is now a 30 year old prom queen and it's not a pretty sight.

The only thing that remains exotic about the car is it's price -- because in terms of performance it's still stuck in the mid 90's.

If you want to impress your friends, buy a used NSX -- but my bet here is that your true car enthusiast is going to choose a new or used Z06 9.9 times out of 10 instead.