Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Arrived But Missing Options, WTD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
GogglesPaizano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Arrived But Missing Options, WTD?

Hi all,

I've had an '06 Grand Touring Z (w/ NAV and SIRIUS) on order for about four months. Well it finally came in but is missing the SIRIUS radio. I know this is just satellite radio but I had a contract with the dealer for a Z built a specific way. So, while the dealer says that they can add the OEM SIRIUS my question is, can they really add the factory SIRIUS setup at a dealer and do so to the point where there is no difference in looks or functionality to if it was done at the manufacture? For example, there may be a difference in the way the antenna is installed or the way it interacts with the NAV system/display. Any comments would be most welcome as I suspect the dealership would probably try to cover up such issues. Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
plumpzz

It shouldnt be an issue. U can add aftermarket Sirius radio to any car, so i dont see a problem when them adding it. I know the navigation can't be added though.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:18 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It will be exactly the same.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
tekk

good question. i dont know the answer but hopefully someone else here can comment on how the sirius radio is integrated.

at one point on the g35, i remember sat radio was prewired and seemed to be the kind of thing a dealer 'could' do. either way, make sure you're 100% satisfied with the car before you sign.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
AlphaPJ

Originally Posted by GogglesPaizano
Hi all,

I've had an '06 Grand Touring Z (w/ NAV and SIRIUS) on order for about four months. Well it finally came in but is missing the SIRIUS radio. I know this is just satellite radio but I had a contract with the dealer for a Z built a specific way. So, while the dealer says that they can add the OEM SIRIUS my question is, can they really add the factory SIRIUS setup at a dealer and do so to the point where there is no difference in looks or functionality to if it was done at the manufacture? For example, there may be a difference in the way the antenna is installed or the way it interacts with the NAV system/display. Any comments would be most welcome as I suspect the dealership would probably try to cover up such issues. Thanks
The radio does not interact with the Nav system or display...would be nice if it did, but it does not.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 AM
GogglesPaizano

Originally Posted by plumpzz
It shouldnt be an issue. U can add aftermarket Sirius radio to any car, so i dont see a problem when them adding it. I know the navigation can't be added though.
That's the thing. I do not want an aftermarket setup. I have an aftermarket setup in my truck and it is not the same as factory, especially the antenna setup. I know this may seem a bit nit-picky but I had a contract with this dealership and they have not treated me all that well so if there is anything about the setup they offer that may not be EXACTLY like the factory setup then I would have an issue. Unfortunately, I cannot rely on the dealer telling me the true story and do not want to accept something that I find out later is not exactly what I ordered.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you look over the car before signing the final paperwork? Any reputable dealer will go over this with you before sending you on your way.

Anyways, yes, they should be able to add it just like it would have been from the factory. Heck, they dont even add the electronics until it arrives in the states. Shouldnt be a problem at all. And at no additional cost to you.

When I got my car, it did not have the splash guards, trunk mat, and kick plates (it was a dealer locate on a vehicle already on a boat). I had to bring it back a week or two later to get those installed.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Gators2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see it being a prob
Old 07-18-2006, 12:12 PM
SilverII

no prob
Old 07-18-2006, 03:45 PM
zedated

[disclaimer]I could be wrong, but...[/disclaimer] ... I think satellite radio is a dealer-installed accessory. As long as your radio is "satellite-ready", you should be fine.

Specifications subject to change. Your mileage may vary. See store for details.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:48 PM
turbohappy

My car didn't come with the aero package that I ordered. The dealer was real nice about it and said they'd take care of it later and then they never did properly. Now I have to put it on myself because they never came through with it and months later just refunded the money I paid, which is less than half of what it would cost another dealer to install it. Make sure they take care of it BEFORE you take delivery. BTW, I had already waited 6 months for mine.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:16 PM
350zroadster

It wouldn't be the same. At least none of us can tell you what the dealer is putting is in going to be OEM or not(is that in writing). Plus the stock sirius radio is more expensive than an aftermarket one. What I'd do is tell the dealer that they screwed up and you'll go somewhere else, most likely they'll give you a discount to keep you as their customer, whether you want them to install or not.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:26 AM
GogglesPaizano

Originally Posted by camaro194
Did you look over the car before signing the final paperwork? Any reputable dealer will go over this with you before sending you on your way.

Anyways, yes, they should be able to add it just like it would have been from the factory. Heck, they dont even add the electronics until it arrives in the states. Shouldnt be a problem at all. And at no additional cost to you.

When I got my car, it did not have the splash guards, trunk mat, and kick plates (it was a dealer locate on a vehicle already on a boat). I had to bring it back a week or two later to get those installed.
I have not signed the contract yet, but there is a twist. To have the car ordered I had to pay a $2000 deposit which they say I would not get back if I walked. Haven't checked with a lawyer yet but this makes me a bit angry that they are trying to retro fit an option that is really a 'factory install'. This is why I'm trying to see if there is ANY difference in installing this option at the dealer as apposed to the factory.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:01 AM
350zroadster

$2k deposit? is it a check? cancel it now.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 AM
BluZee

The cars that come with SAT radio from the factory have a body color antenna on the roof. It wont be that way if they install it at the dealer.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 AM
GogglesPaizano

Originally Posted by BluZee
The cars that come with SAT radio from the factory have a body color antenna on the roof. It wont be that way if they install it at the dealer.
Do you know for sure that the factory uses a body color antenna. The only Z I've seen at a dealer with SAT had what looked like a black plastic anternna module with a black plastic band covering the antenna lead as it fed into the edge of the rear windshield. Although it looked a bit retro-fit (OEM installs usually have the antenna go through the roof directly under the antenna) it was on a new Z at a dealership. Does anyone know specifically how Nissan does their OEM SAT antennas?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:03 AM
BluZee

Do you know for sure that the factory uses a body color antenna.

Yup. I work at the dealer. One of our customers special ordered an 06 350Z and it came in with the body color antenna for the SAT radio.

The Altimas and Maximas are the same way.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
BluZee

Heres an Altima that came with SAT radio from the factory.

Last edited by BluZee; 07-19-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 AM
zedated

I have not signed the contract yet, but there is a twist. To have the car ordered I had to pay a $2000 deposit which they say I would not get back if I walked. Haven't checked with a lawyer yet but this makes me a bit angry that they are trying to retro fit an option that is really a 'factory install'. This is why I'm trying to see if there is ANY difference in installing this option at the dealer as apposed to the factory.
As far as I know, they cannot keep your money if you reject the car. They can hold it hostage for a while, but ultimately, they cannot keep it if you don't take delivery. I dunno how it is in CA, but in TX you can return a car within 3 (?) days for a refund (there may be a mileage deduction). Regardless, I would not take delivery unless you are completely happy with the car. Whether or not the satellite radio thing is a deal-breaker is your call.

Last edited by zedated; 07-19-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Ztalker

they cannot keep your deposit cuz they don't have the exact car you want.

Quick Reply: Z Arrived But Missing Options, WTD?