Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Calling all those with BO or Frost Interior...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:01 PM
jrod1014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all those with BO or Frost Interior...

The purpose of this thread is basically to help me make a case against the dealership should I need it. I would appreaciate any help I can get... I honestly did not bother searching so my apologies in advance and thanks...

Problem: My car has 9,500 miles and it's a Silverstone with Burnt Orange. All was good until about 7,000 miles when the seat started discoloring and peeling. The areas around the stiching are basically red and the part where your butt cheeks rest is basically flaking off, layer by layer... Cleaning it used to hide it but I guess all that did was remove the "dirty" layer and replace it with the next "clean" layer much like waxing does to your clearcoat. It has gotten to the point where cleaning it doesn't help anymore as I can now see brown... Below are two pictures, one with flash and one without after the seats were cleaned. Better pics of what I'm talking about will come when I obtain a camera but you can still see it in these pics.

On a side note: A co-worker of mine has a ZR with the BO Ventilated seats and his were replaced under warranty as his seats basically fell apart... I don't know if there is a TSB for this or of one exists for my leather. One might question my habits with the car but I can promise you all that I'm extremely proud and meticulous with my car. I've owned leather in two previous cars with over 50k miles and have never seen something like this...

Pictures are high rez: 1600x1200

Old 07-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that is definitly noticable. With under 10k miles, I would be expecting to get the seats replaced. I heard of them replaced the cloth seats for a few owners because of premature wear.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Gators2001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitily needs to be replaced by the dealer...

no case needs to be made. that is un-acceptable

unless they can prove you CUT it
Old 07-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Rcrapp74

My car has 5000 miles and has the same problem, is this covered under warranty?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 PM
jrod1014

Originally Posted by Rcrapp74
My car has 5000 miles and has the same problem, is this covered under warranty?
If it is, I will find out on Friday... I would appreciate pics of your problem so that I can show it to my dealer... If need be, i'll supply you with better pics tomorrow of mine to prove that it's a real issue...
Old 07-19-2006, 07:16 PM
mikealexander

warranty all the way, Well i work for TOYOTA and that would definately be replaced
Old 07-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Rcrapp74

I'll take some pics and post them tommorow when i have better lighting.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the entire interior replaced in a 03 745 Li with 90,000 miles on it. It had the 7/100 waranty. BMW didn't even ask a question. They took it in and replaced it. They replaced the door panels as well and thoroughly cleaned the carpet and headliner. Moral of the story: You aren't taking in a BMW. Don't expect much. I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
michaeljr6

Originally Posted by TK2005
I had the entire interior replaced in a 03 745 Li with 90,000 miles on it. It had the 7/100 waranty. BMW didn't even ask a question. They took it in and replaced it. They replaced the door panels as well and thoroughly cleaned the carpet and headliner. Moral of the story: You aren't taking in a BMW. Don't expect much. I hope it works out for you.
i want a bmw now..
Old 07-19-2006, 08:44 PM
zxpwr

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
i want a bmw now..
BMW 335 anyone? bi turbo..
Old 07-22-2006, 02:06 PM
jrod1014

update: dealer is going to fix my seat as a courtesy but thank god i didn't really have to argue... two guys looked at it and asked me if i wore jeans and that it was the sole cause ... i told them that if the leather couldn't hold up to jean wear then we have bigger problems than just my seat... i told him about the age of the car (and other cars that i've owned with leather) and showed him other spots where the leather is discoloring that have nothing to do with my *** cheeks. They ultimately decided to fix it under warranty with a courtesy code...

for those who are having a similar problem, i suggest you take it in asap before the problem gets worse... you might have to go to different dealers if you get crap like i did...

For the record, the parts that will require change on my car are $750 and $800 respectively... hopefully it'll get replaced by aftermarket leather that holds up better to jeans
Old 07-22-2006, 05:22 PM
hotspur

Originally Posted by TK2005
Moral of the story: You aren't taking in a BMW. Don't expect much. I hope it works out for you.
If he were "taking in a BMW" he'd have fifty other things requiring repair as well.

BMW: Bring More Wrenches.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:32 PM
stein

Originally Posted by hotspur
If he were "taking in a BMW" he'd have fifty other things requiring repair as well.

BMW: Bring More Wrenches.

LOL, I don't know squat about BMWs but my bosses wife's BMW is in the shop quite a bit..

Back OT:
Glad they replaced them for you, I wear jeans 99% of the time and I haven't had a problem, I have small *** if that makes any difference.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:11 PM
reneGade510

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
i want a bmw now..
Oh no you don't. Take all of your maint. costs and triple them. Then pray that nothing breaks, because you really don't want to pay for dealer labor on a BMW. My Dad has a 3 Series, and I hate to see how much he has to pay everytime he stops in.

Maybe its just dealer specific, but the simple cost of owning a BMW steers me clear.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:51 PM
chingwithbling

I'm reviving this thread because I've encountered a similar problem. I test drove a 2003 Z today, SB with the burnt orange seats. It has 32,000 miles, and the seats pretty much look like the ones the OP put up, except on the edges of where your butt is. While that kind of wear might be unacceptable for one with so few miles, is this regular for a car with 32,000 miles? Because other than that, I love the car; no external blemishes, no rock chips (other than minor ones, but you have to get your face about 1/2 a foot away to see them), and only one or two other blemishes on the interior in addition to the seats.

Edit: Oh yeah, and another question, a little OT, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for it. The car doesn't have side air bags, which I wanted. Is it possible to buy it and install it on the stock leather seats? And if so, if I get them installed, will the insurance company acknowledge them as if they came with the car and lower my rates?

Last edited by chingwithbling; 07-30-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:05 AM
Billinohio

i was reading the tsbs and did see one for burnt orange interior but dont remember what it said
Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Blu Hvn

Wearing jeans caused that problem? Thirty years ago my best friend bought the top of the line Ford Granada with leather interior. He had the same problem and Ford told him that it was because he wore jeans!! That was 30 friggin' years ago!! I wonder if there is a "Book of Excuses" all dealers refer to.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:08 AM
06Firebase

Angry

Originally Posted by Blu Hvn
Wearing jeans caused that problem? Thirty years ago my best friend bought the top of the line Ford Granada with leather interior. He had the same problem and Ford told him that it was because he wore jeans!! That was 30 friggin' years ago!! I wonder if there is a "Book of Excuses" all dealers refer to.

Yeah, I think there is.

When I had transmission problems with one of my previous cars (a one year old Nissan truck), the dealer asked me if I "ever rested my hand on the gearshift **** while I was driving?", as if that caused a gear to go bad!

Good luck with your seat, jrod . . .

That definitely shouldn't be caused by wearing "jeans", FCOL.

Joe
Old 07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
Sven

You should be covered under warranty. I'm sure Nissan can spare a little cheddar to replace your seat, seeing how they will over charge their patrons for a silly "maintenace schedule package" that is about worthless.

Burnt Orange seats are beautiful BTW.

Last edited by Sven; 07-31-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Calling all those with BO or Frost Interior...