Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does the traction control and limited slip rear make a difference in bad weather?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:51 AM
denman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the traction control and limited slip rear make a difference in bad weather?

Ice and snow? If so, major or minor difference?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Apex2986

not to be completely rude, but are you kidding?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
aggie05

OF course it helps. Thats why its called traction control and Limited slip.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
plumpzz

jeah it does. U live in NJ, and it snows here a ll the time, and u should definatley get TCS and LSD
Old 07-25-2006, 11:00 AM
denman

<not to be completely rude, but are you kidding?>

Well you are being rude. I have no experience driving a z or any other car with traction control in snow. I put snow tires on my 04 base and it doesn’t make a darn bit of difference. I’m thinking that I either get rid of the Z which I love or buy something else so that driving in the winter is a bit easier. I’m asking for input from others that have this model z.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
aggie05

Originally Posted by denman

Well you are being rude. I have no experience driving a z or any other car with traction control in snow. I put snow tires on my 04 base and it doesn’t make a darn bit of difference. I’m thinking that I either get rid of the Z which I love or buy something else so that driving in the winter is a bit easier. I’m asking for input from others that have this model z.
I live in TX, but i would think having Limited slip would be cruicial. When one tire starts to spin it gives power to both wheels not just one wheel. 2 tires better then 1. GOodluck with your choices.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its July.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:13 AM
ANXIOUZ

^^^ lol

Yes, LSD and VDC help in snow but you're still driving a sportscar not a truck. But on ice your fudged no matter what car you're driving.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
aggie05

Originally Posted by davidv
Its July.
Im at a loss as to what this helps? I guess incase anyone forgot what month it is.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:24 AM
ANXIOUZ

He's asking about snow and ice in July.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
aggie05

I realize that, hes being proactive and trying to get info on winter driving. Wish i would think that far in advance. I just found a bit of humor in the post ITs July. NO worries.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traction control can work against you, I was in a situation where I was going up a slight incline during snow and started sliding back down because the traction control would not let me spin in order to "dig" for lack of a better term down to the blacktop. I quickly shut off the system and was able to spin enough to cut through the ice and snow and get traction. I almost hit the car behind me as I was sliding backwards.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Apex2986

Originally Posted by denman

Well did you even think about it before you asked this question. I mean if you don't know what an LSD is or how traction control works then I guess it's possible not to instantly understand that "limited slip differential" "traction control" might imply something...

sorry for being so rude
Old 07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
aggie05

Originally Posted by Vader007
Traction control can work against you, I was in a situation where I was going up a slight incline during snow and started sliding back down because the traction control would not let me spin in order to "dig" for lack of a better term down to the blacktop. I quickly shut off the system and was able to spin enough to cut through the ice and snow and get traction. I almost hit the car behind me as I was sliding backwards.
Never had this problem living in TX, but i have heard of this situation. OR if you get stuck in deep snow etc... to turn off traction control b/c it will underpower your wheels. I just have to worry about tar spraying up on my car in texas b/c it gets so damn hot the roads fall apart. I guess everywhere has its ups and downs.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 AM
ANXIOUZ

Does the traction control and limited slip rear make a difference in tar?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
denman

C’mon. I know its July but there are other reasons why I’m thinking about buying now. I need new tires, new rear brakes, 40k service coming up, plus I was thinking about another set of rims so I don’t have to keep paying to have the snow tires mounted, that’s a bit of cash. So I’m looking at what to do now even though its summer. That’s all. The rear and traction control would be a reason I’d make the move so I asked. I read how great the snow tires were a few years ago in the fall, what a bunch of crap. They don’t really help at all, waste of my money!

(((the rear and tc would be justification to the wife)))
Old 07-25-2006, 12:05 PM
aggie05

Originally Posted by maximXL
Does the traction control and limited slip rear make a difference in tar?
Yes it does! WHen you WOT in 1st you get tar on both sides of your car instead of just one.

Last edited by aggie05; 07-25-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
ANXIOUZ

lmao

denman - Honestly, the Z will never be too solid in snow and definitely not in ice. With VDC and LSD I could barely get up my driveway (in Oregon) when it had snowed. I was all over the place.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
denman

Originally Posted by maximXL
lmao

denman - Honestly, the Z will never be too solid in snow and definitely not in ice. With VDC and LSD I could barely get up my driveway (in Oregon) when it had snowed. I was all over the place.

That's what I thought. I needed to know for sure though before I made a move. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Morningglorie

If you possibly can, buy an older car, maybe a little Forester or something, to use in the snow and keep your Z in the garage Dec. - mid-March.

How much snow do you get where you are in Jersey? If it's not much, you could also plan on renting a car on days when you really need to drive in snow. Enterprise will deliver to your home. Would probably be a lot cheaper in the long run than buying a 2nd car, if you wouldn't use it more than 10 -15 or so days a year.

Quick Reply: Does the traction control and limited slip rear make a difference in bad weather?