Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Police problems with clear reflectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006 | 06:26 PM
Suvlaki

Default Police problems with clear reflectors?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but my search has come to no avail.

I jus' ordered the clear front reflectors from mynismo.com. The amber color doesn't match a SINGLE thing on my black Z, so I am very anxious to gank that **** out. More to the point, I know (at least in Fla.,) a vehicle by law is required to have yellow reflectors in the front bumpers, unless the car is vintage and was not equipped stock with them before the law.

I am just wondering if anyone with clear or smoked reflectors has had any problems with the cops regarding this? The amber is fugly as hell so I'm ganking it out no matter what... but I jus' wanna know if I should be expecting any unecessary citations...
Old 08-06-2006 | 06:50 PM
03Zilverstone

My dad has the clear ones on his. He had it inspected for his title and it passed. He also hasn't had any run ins with the police with them. I'm definatly getting them for mine when I get done with the body work.
Old 08-06-2006 | 06:52 PM
Built2shredZ

I believe as long as you have a amber bulb in them your good...
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:08 PM
kcobean
Premier Member

I'm not sure if it's a federal requirement, though I think it is...you are required by law to have an amber reflector in front of the front wheel or axle. Try finding a car without one and you'll see what I mean.

Even this beautiful Ford GT has one....

Now that said, I don't know of anyone who's been busted for clear markers...Most cops and even state inspection stations aren't aware of this law, or so it seems.
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:13 PM
Suvlaki

I know it is a law, that is for certain. Whether it is state or federal, I am not sure. It sounds like it is federal, cuz think about it... every car in every state in the U.S. has these reflectors.

Where I was concerned was whether or not a cop would find this as an excuse to pull over the 20 year old sports car driver...
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:14 PM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju
Premier Member

just keep the amber bulbs in the front....turn signals & any other bulb that can be amber. what's wrong with it being clear if it has blinks / turns on amber.
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:17 PM
Suvlaki

well I have the '06 headlights also so there is no amber stripe along the sides. I think where they might be concerned is if your car is parked somewhere at night, with the headlights off. The amber reflector would warn an oncoming car that your nose is in the way. However, the clear reflectors reflect also, jus' not as noticeable.

And as it stands now, the amber color of the bulb can barely be seen in the headlights. You have to be up close and look for the color to actually see it so... they might say something like "there is no yellow color visible" bla bla bla...

edit: i am pro-clear reflectors... but I am playing the devil's advocate in this thread in order to hunt out any possible reasons to this law and solutions to get around it...
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:23 PM
Mewantbfp

i had a blue bulb in in my clear blinkers on my 03 eclipse and never got pulled over for it. I did worry about getting pulled over for it but it never happened i did however have yellow turn signals in the back.
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:27 PM
Suvlaki

off-topic but funny story: my friend replaced his rear license plate light with a hyper-white bulb. It looked pretty cool, actually, really made the license plate shine. However, since it was hyper-white, it had a very very light blueish tint to it. Long story short, he got pulled over on I-95 by a female cop because "only cops are allowed to have blue lights." It wasn't even blue...! It was a small light in the license plate and it was a liiiight blue hyper-white... just like the '06 halogen headlights!
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:31 PM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
off-topic but funny story: my friend replaced his rear license plate light with a hyper-white bulb. It looked pretty cool, actually, really made the license plate shine. However, since it was hyper-white, it had a very very light blueish tint to it. Long story short, he got pulled over on I-95 by a female cop because "only cops are allowed to have blue lights." It wasn't even blue...! It was a small light in the license plate and it was a liiiight blue hyper-white... just like the '06 halogen headlights!
LOL....She'd been waiting all week to pull out that lame-@$$ line on someone!
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:45 PM
03Zilverstone

Just put the clears in and keep the amber ones. If a cop pulls you over he'll probably just give you a fix-it ticket, if anything. Besides if a cop wants to pull you over he'll find a reason.
Old 08-06-2006 | 07:50 PM
UofA350Z

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
Long story short, he got pulled over on I-95 by a female cop because "only cops are allowed to have blue lights."
I got pulled over for that same thing, twice. Both by female cops...and they were both definitely on a power trip.
Old 08-07-2006 | 04:44 AM
boostie350

kcobean - How come you dont have reflectors in front of your wheel/axle? hmm?
Old 08-07-2006 | 05:37 AM
ZBigDog

I've got the clear front reflectors and never even thought about it being a problem. I've had them in for about 4 months in Florida with no harassment, but haven't even been pulled over yet for anything, so who knows. I'd be real pissed if I had to change them as the ambers don't look good and you gotta take the whole bumper off to change.
Old 08-07-2006 | 06:29 AM
davidf

Department of Transportation {DOT} requires all motor vehicles to have front amber reflectors, and red rear reflectors. A lot of officers overlook these minor offences, some don't.
Old 08-07-2006 | 06:32 AM
taurran

I've never had issues with the clear reflectors. I've been pulled over a few times and they didn't even look at the front of my car, much less complain about them.
Old 08-07-2006 | 06:45 AM
WYZIWYG

On a similar note, have any of you experienced problems with headlight covers? I just ordered a pair of blue tinted ones and want to have them installed when I get my windows tinted. MD Law states that only white lamps are allowed for headlights, but I've seen several people with yellow covers. And most euro cars (BMWs) have blue colored halogen bulbs.
Old 08-07-2006 | 07:55 AM
sry110

I have had my clear reflectors installed for a few months now and have not been hassled. I figure it's because A) I live near two automotive schools and the cops have their hands full and B) at night the amber color is visible from the sidemarker bulbs, and during the day I would hope the car is visible without relying on the bumper reflectors. Some laws are kinda dumb.
Old 08-07-2006 | 08:00 AM
kcobean
Premier Member

Originally Posted by boostie350
kcobean - How come you dont have reflectors in front of your wheel/axle? hmm?
I just said it was the law, I never said I complied with it. I didn't comply with the federal law regarding catalytic converters either as the Z has none. Nor did I comply with the crumple zone regulations for the hood, as the CF hood doesn't have them or the hood retention hooks.

For what it's worth, I don't own the Z anymore, and the new car is fully compliant with all state and federal regulations:

Old 08-07-2006 | 08:05 AM
one350zfan

We're pretty lucky here in Florida. I've been modding since late 90's with Honda engine swaps and such and there are three things that get you pulled. Loud base/no muffler at night(happened to me), yellow or really blue/purple headlights and Limo tint(mainly in Clearwater)

Quick Reply: Police problems with clear reflectors?