Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How NOT to jack up a 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:42 AM
semtex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How NOT to jack up a 350Z

I'm going to share a story with everyone, because I just need to vent. And hey, maybe some of you will get some amusement out of this.

I had a new set of wheels put on at Discount Tire a couple of weeks ago. Well, they ordered the wrong offset for the front and I didn't like the way it looked (40mm offset; looked sunken into the wheel wells), so after they finally conceded that their fitment guy was wrong about what offset would fit, they ordered replacements for the front (20mm offset). So I go back a week later when the replacements arrive to have them put on. They figured that they only needed to raise the front end, which made sense. So rather than put my Z on a lift, two of their guys just slide service jacks on both sides of the car right behind the front wheels and jack up the front end.

Now, it's common knowledge that with any vehicle, there are only certain points under the car that are meant to carry the load when the car is jacked up, right? And certainly, guys who install wheels and tires for a living day in, day out, should know this, right?

They put the new wheels on, lowered the car, and everything looked good. I opened the door to drive away, and I immediately noticed that something looked kinda off with the floor mat. I figured one of their guys just kicked it crooked when they drove it into the service bay, so I bend down to straighten it, only to realize -- hey, the floormat isn't crooked, the entire floor is crooked! Then I remembered the jacks. After being frozen in terror for a moment, I bent my head under the car to look, and sure enough, on both sides, the undercarriage is crushed where they jacked it up. You can actually see circular impressions from the jacks pressed into the underside! Back up top, I now have this small hump in the driver's side floor (the passenger side somehow escaped this fate). Those stupid monkeys just threw the jacks under my car, were either too stupid or too lazy to verify that they had them making contact at proper load-bearing points, and just jacked it up. *arghh!!!!* Here's the real kicker: My car was only 3 weeks old, with 550 miles on the odo.

Now, please don't take any of this as a bash against Discount Tire. I've done business with them for years w.o. any problems. And to their credit, they immediately filled out a Damage Claim, faxed it to corporate, and I received a phone call from them the very next day. I had already gotten a repair estimate ($800 and change), so I emailed it to them in a .pdf and they cut me a check the next business day. Sh*t happens, and they didn't try to give me the run around or anything like that. But I've always been nervous when handing over the keys to a mechanic or any kind of service tech. I thought I was just paranoid and ****-retentive. Now I know my paranoia is somewhat justified!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:44 AM
MRfire

Originally Posted by semtex
I'm going to share a story with everyone, because I just need to vent. And hey, maybe some of you will get some amusement out of this.

I had a new set of wheels put on at Discount Tire a couple of weeks ago. Well, they ordered the wrong offset for the front and I didn't like the way it looked (40mm offset; looked sunken into the wheel wells), so after they finally conceded that their fitment guy was wrong about what offset would fit, they ordered replacements for the front (20mm offset). So I go back a week later when the replacements arrive to have them put on. They figured that they only needed to raise the front end, which made sense. So rather than put my Z on a lift, two of their guys just slide service jacks on both sides of the car right behind the front wheels and jack up the front end.

Now, it's common knowledge that with any vehicle, there are only certain points under the car that are meant to carry the load when the car is jacked up, right? And certainly, guys who install wheels and tires for a living day in, day out, should know this, right?

They put the new wheels on, lowered the car, and everything looked good. I opened the door to drive away, and I immediately noticed that something looked kinda off with the floor mat. I figured one of their guys just kicked it crooked when they drove it into the service bay, so I bend down to straighten it, only to realize -- hey, the floormat isn't crooked, the entire floor is crooked! Then I remembered the jacks. After being frozen in terror for a moment, I bent my head under the car to look, and sure enough, on both sides, the undercarriage is crushed where they jacked it up. You can actually see circular impressions from the jacks pressed into the underside! Back up top, I now have this small hump in the driver's side floor (the passenger side somehow escaped this fate). Those stupid monkeys just threw the jacks under my car, were either too stupid or too lazy to verify that they had them making contact at proper load-bearing points, and just jacked it up. *arghh!!!!* Here's the real kicker: My car was only 3 weeks old, with 550 miles on the odo.

Now, please don't take any of this as a bash against Discount Tire. I've done business with them for years w.o. any problems. And to their credit, they immediately filled out a Damage Claim, faxed it to corporate, and I received a phone call from them the very next day. I had already gotten a repair estimate ($800 and change), so I emailed it to them in a .pdf and they cut me a check the next business day. Sh*t happens, and they didn't try to give me the run around or anything like that. But I've always been nervous when handing over the keys to a mechanic or any kind of service tech. I thought I was just paranoid and ****-retentive. Now I know my paranoia is somewhat justified!
Wow...that sucks man. I would have been LIVID. And only $800? How the hell are they gonna fix that? Cut out and weld? Hmmm
Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 AM
philude

well, it's good they handled it very professionally...too bad those monkeys messed up in the first place though...
Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 AM
savvy

thats crap man. I know very little about working on cars but even i know that you can only jack certain places. Glad to hear they were good about it though
Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 AM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that happened to me, i took my carpet out, and banged the sheet metal back in with a mallet. no big deal life goes on
Old 08-25-2006, 07:56 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. This is why I pull my own wheels off and just take them to get tires mounted, balanced, etc. At least then, the only thing they can screw up is the rims. Kind of tough for you, getting new rims and checking fitment... you really gotta watch those guys close. When I swapped rims (upgraded from Track to Nismo rims), I pout my car up on jackstands in my garage, then took the rims and new tires to the dealer to have them mounted and balanced. I kept the center caps and swapped out the TPE sensors myself. The dealer only lets one guy handle expensive rims, so they were careful. Then I carted them home and mounted them on the car myself. Tell me I'M not paranoid...
Old 08-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOl-I feel your pain because I once did this on the passenger side when I first had the car. It looks like a piece of the chassis from underneath, you only find out its not when the damage is done. Nice to see they took care of you though.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:14 AM
semtex

Originally Posted by eat rice z33
that happened to me, i took my carpet out, and banged the sheet metal back in with a mallet. no big deal life goes on
Yeah my mechanic came over to look at it, and he said that that's what the body shop would do. He suggested I do it myself and just pocket the $800!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:23 AM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

I would, just dont beat it too hard and break through.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 AM
semtex

Originally Posted by Escobar
I would, just dont beat it too hard and break through.
My mechanic suggested that I get a piece of 2x4 and beat on it, rather than beat directly onto the floor. That should help ensure that I don't make things worse.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
mdracer76
Banned

Yeah my mechanic came over to look at it, and he said that that's what the body shop would do. He suggested I do it myself and just pocket the $800!
+1
Old 08-25-2006, 08:42 AM
roast

IT happens.... even grease monkeys make mistakes... LOL... did you ever see the Z that fell off the lift at the nissan dealership? Now that one takes the cake....

At least you got some dough for mods or whatever else... I might actually be happy in your situation.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its very thin there ---Iv see it several times----Fact is though, A good size rubber hammer and a half dozen well placed blows will get it back to like new
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My mechanic suggested that I get a piece of 2x4 and beat on it, rather than beat directly onto the floor. That should help ensure that I don't make things worse.
And that works too !!!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Invision 350z
Banned

Originally Posted by roast
IT happens.... even grease monkeys make mistakes... LOL... did you ever see the Z that fell off the lift at the nissan dealership? Now that one takes the cake....

At least you got some dough for mods or whatever else... I might actually be happy in your situation.
How did they manage to do that? Hope the car didnt fall on anyone.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
TSG-Z

Wow, I cant believe they would'nt know that working at Discount Tire.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
semtex

On a lighter note, here's a pic of the rims I got (and my Z, obviously).

Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM
roast

Originally Posted by Invision 350z
How did they manage to do that? Hope the car didnt fall on anyone.
If I remember correctly, they didn't follow the service manual like they should have and completely disregarded some very basic laws of physics. I believe it was for the fuel filler recall.... they started stripping parts off the back and didn't take into account the redistirubtion of weight....so naturally the Z did a nose dive off the lift... the thread is around here somehwere... I'll see if I can find it.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:28 AM
Jonathan Allyn

20+ is the perfect fit for the Z. Glad it worked out!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So what you are saying is the jack belongs under the car frame.

Quick Reply: How NOT to jack up a 350Z