Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Your opinion on my 350z situation.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 PM
skaterbasist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that you brought your dad up, will make everyone tell you to get a civic, scion, etc.

People in both G35driver.com and my350z.com seem to not like teens get Z's/G's, especially if its daddys little gift

I would not get the Z if I were you because it seems your gonna have alot of financial responcibiity (especially with insurance)

Im 18, and the only reason I bought a G35 coupe was I have enough financial responsibility to pay it. Yes I do pay for it myself including insurance.

Dont break your head over just a car, be patient if its not your time

Last edited by skaterbasist; 08-25-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:48 PM
ASTIG_Z

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
People in both G35driver.com and my350z.com seem to not like teens get Z's/G's, especially if its daddys little gift
I dont care if pops bought him the car or not, its the point about growing up.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:56 PM
skaterbasist

If hes responsible enough both financially and responsibily... I say go for it.

If you know your going to be a "boy racer", then forget about it.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
RevLimitZ

Here's another thought for ya.....look at some 300zx TT's. Insurance is still gonna be pretty high but the price of the car will be substantially less and if you don't take a loan out for it then you won't "need" full coverage just liability insurance. Just a thought.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:00 PM
skaterbasist

the 300zx TT is a sweet car... good advise.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Morningglorie

I'd also vote for the Scion. If you're in college, I assume no garage; like others, I would never want my Z parked overnight in an open public place, like most dorm or university apartment parkng would be. You'll be really, really upset when you get that boatload of dings.

Plus, you'll be moving around a lot, from home to dorm to home to apt. to home to...wherever, after you graduate. The Scion will make a lot more sense as you can move your stuff more easily.

Then work a year or two and THEN buy yourself whatever Z you want. When you're 25 your insurance costs will drop; if you wait until you're 23 or 24 to buy the Z you won't have many years with the outrageous costs you'd have if you bought it now.

And - check around the car rental places. You may find one that will rent Zs or a similar sports car. You might be able to splurge on yourself every so often and rent one for a weekend trip or something, just to scratch that itch!

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:40 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should just buy a beater for a couple thousand bucks and deal with it until you finish college. Afterwards, you'll still have 16K or so from the insurance and maybe at that point you can convince your dad to give you money for a car (being a respobsible college grad at that time) and buy a Z. If you're going to have a car you dont really want that much for a couple of years, it might as well be cheap.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by NewJerZ
That new Civic Si is pretty nice....NOT a Z, but decent IMO. Plus, you ARE in college and won't have a "real" source of income until AFTER you graduate.

Let Dad do his thing ...The Z can wait...It's NOT going anywhere (Well...unless Nissan repeats history like with the overpriced Z32's of the 90's...Really hope they learned their lesson).
2nd that ....
Old 08-26-2006, 12:53 AM
hai2u

Hehe, this is why I came for advice to you guys. I mean I know my dad has alot of experience with what he says and what not, but I just wanted the extra helpful opinions on a choice. Right now I'm breaking my back to make some extra cash so I can somewhat show my dad I can actually come up with a decent means of money to support my idea of paying the difference and what not for a Z,
But the way you guys propose the long time thought of college years and my financial situation.. and the dings, scratches, etc, I would quite possibly end up getting so fed up with some idiot and set up some car surveillance system and break his face..
so. atm, your ideas seems like the definite better choice. I think about it and my old man was probably trying to say the same thing as you guys, but he just could'nt / did'nt word it the way I could say to myself "Hey that sounds like a really good idea."
Then again I can see myself being kind of spoiled in a way, I know some people who drive a beat up civic around as their first car.. and here I am complaining I want a 06' Grand Touring Z. after I've had a brand new scion
I feel even worse that I notice this and I still have this incredibly huge urge to want the 350z still. I guess that level of myself has'nt really matured yet heh. Still would like opinions and options I could take if you guys have any!!

*OH and also, I forgot to mention this horrible rent-a-car has to be returned back to Enterprise (the company), by the end of next week Hate being rushed*
Old 08-26-2006, 01:10 AM
BJX
Banned

i dont know you personally, but from the way you talk, it seems you're a okay kid, and your desire for the Z is crazy (Who's isnt? ;-) ) And it's great you're trying to prove to your father that you can pay for it by making the extra cash, honestly in my opinion, if you're responsible enough you can make it through your college years and still have a brand spanking Z (just park away from retards etc) plus, walking is good for your health =)

I say if your father thinks you can help each other out on the payments, and you know you're responsible enough -- go for it. I dont see any reason not to.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:23 AM
ZDUB

Here's my advice to you on this. Concentrate on school for now, and take your mind off the Z. Believe me, school is gonna stress you out, I know you will not be able to continue working extra hard for that payment. You are just gonna burn yourself out. Having that car payment while in college is hard. Finish school, and then you can buy any car you want. College is fun, enjoy it, you don't want to miss all the parties and all the females you could have hooked up with because you had to work to pay for your Z.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:07 AM
odin

the different color fonts actually makes it harder to read.

For what its worth, if you can get the 350Z, I say go for it
Old 08-26-2006, 03:14 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZDUB
Here's my advice to you on this. Concentrate on school for now, and take your mind off the Z. Believe me, school is gonna stress you out, I know you will not be able to continue working extra hard for that payment. You are just gonna burn yourself out. Having that car payment while in college is hard. Finish school, and then you can buy any car you want. College is fun, enjoy it, you don't want to miss all the parties and all the females you could have hooked up with because you had to work to pay for your Z.
This man knows what hes talking about. Live it up in college. You will have the rest of your life to break your back working.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:50 AM
NewJerZ

Originally Posted by odin
the different color fonts actually makes it harder to read.

For what its worth, if you can get the 350Z, I say go for it

Odin,

We're all pro-350Z on this forum, but seriously...this kid is a freshman in college.

He simply doesn't have the financial status he needs to replace a blown tire, get repairs done, much less pay for Premium Fuel for the car, for the remaining 3 years of college that he has to complete...assuming he graduates on time!

At best, he might get a co-op job during school and at WORST, he'll have a minimum wage ($7.25 hr) job.

Thank the Lord, I haven't had to deal with a BS Minimum Wage Job, since I was in college ('83-'87)...BUT this kid might HAVE to.

Just food for thought...not trying to start a debate or argue, by the way.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:55 AM
iknowitsfast

i only paid $23K for my 03 Touring with 16K miles. I love it...just buy used
Old 08-26-2006, 06:42 AM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDUB
Yep this guy nailed it on the head. Go to college and enjoy the education, parties, occasional stisfaction from hard work, etc. If you can make it through all 4 years without having to get a part time job you should be grateful. I was in a similar situation in that my parents paid for my education 100%, which allowed me to focus on school rather than trying to scrounge up some money for rent. Depending on your work load you may not even have time for a job.

Here is something else to propose to your dad. Buy a reliable beater for between $8000 and $10000 for example, and invest the remainder of the money from the insuarance company in some sort of mutual fund (or something interest-bearing) over the next 4 years. Let that money work for you during your time in college. Then when you graduate you could either leave your investment untouched, or close out the account and buy that dream car. If you could fast forward to graduation, you would probably look back and say "man, I wish I would have saved some of that money". You will realize that there are much more important things than having a cool car at school.

And like everyone else said, you have to consider insurance and fuel prices as well. If I were you, I would make it easy on myself financially and live with a sub-par vehicle for a few years during college, and make myself earn the Z (or whatever the hot car is in 2009). Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:26 AM
PhiDeltBeers

I agree with everyone else. Nice cars and college parking lots aren't a good mix. Personally, I never had a car thru college. I graduated a few years ago, got a good job and bought a Z. Went back to OKla. St. Univ. for homecoming 1 month after buying the Z and had a hit n run in my old fraternity parking lot. I was not a happy camper. Not saying this will happen to you, but if you don't want to fall in the Grand Canyon, don't go to Arizona. Hope ya caught that and good luck in your decision.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:31 AM
hai2u

You know what, I think I've made up my mind. And I would gladly like to say that in my honest opinion, I could not manage to make that means of cash fast or even at a mediocre level. I mean I have a job as a game tester which pays about $10/h.(regular) $15/h.(overtime) $20/h.(doubletime).

Some people say.. "Hey why don't you just keep working overtime and doubletimes everyday?" and all I can say is .. " If only it was that easy "
I've been put on a project for a game that will only start crunch time (where overtime and doubletime is a daily thing) in about 5-6 months, which by then I'm going to already start my classes for college. Needless to say, it's hard as hell to walk around my work place looking for other projects that need overtime/doubletime. Just yesterday I worked from 9a.m to 12:00a.m with 1 hour lunch at 1p.m and another at 7p.m which means I worked about 13 hours.
So for my sanity I came to you guys for some extra advice and now that urge for a Z is somewhat repressed and I feel better now; thanks to you guys ^^.

However I would still like to be a member of these forums even though I don't own a Z or G Is that okay to do, just wondering cause I don't want people telling me later on saying " You don't even have a Z or a G, why are you still here. "

Oh and thank you guys so much for your opinions and help, I think it was just one of those things that I needed to hear from other people, other than my dad.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:52 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by hai2u
You know what, I think I've made up my mind. And I would gladly like to say that in my honest opinion, I could not manage to make that means of cash fast or even at a mediocre level. I mean I have a job as a game tester which pays about $10/h.(regular) $15/h.(overtime) $20/h.(doubletime).

Some people say.. "Hey why don't you just keep working overtime and doubletimes everyday?" and all I can say is .. " If only it was that easy "
I've been put on a project for a game that will only start crunch time (where overtime and doubletime is a daily thing) in about 5-6 months, which by then I'm going to already start my classes for college. Needless to say, it's hard as hell to walk around my work place looking for other projects that need overtime/doubletime. Just yesterday I worked from 9a.m to 12:00a.m with 1 hour lunch at 1p.m and another at 7p.m which means I worked about 13 hours.
So for my sanity I came to you guys for some extra advice and now that urge for a Z is somewhat repressed and I feel better now; thanks to you guys ^^.

However I would still like to be a member of these forums even though I don't own a Z or G Is that okay to do, just wondering cause I don't want people telling me later on saying " You don't even have a Z or a G, why are you still here. "

Oh and thank you guys so much for your opinions and help, I think it was just one of those things that I needed to hear from other people, other than my dad.
We appreciate your maturity, for being at such a young age. There are many people on this forum who don't own a Z; I'm on a couple of other car forums as well and don't own them (like the S2K or M3 forums). Car enthusiasts love hearing about other cars! Make yourself at home and welcome to the forums!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:41 PM
93TSiAWD

There are many people on this forum who don't own a Z; I'm on a couple of other car forums as well and don't own them (like the S2K or M3 forums).
In addition to this board (member since 2002 but only 10 posts lol) I'm also on a BMW, Audi, S2K, Jeep, and DSM forum .

As someone who's currently in college, I'd hold off on the Z. I had a DSM for the first 2 years of school and it was a blast but got too expensive to keep up with. I'm driving a Wrangler now which is boring but gets the job done.

Live it up in school. As much as I love cars and would love to get a 350Z right now, its nice to not worry about how much you spend in a bar and on the taxi home vs. hanging out at a bar sober and driving home in your car. Once you have a steady income and a greater need for a car the Z becomes more relevant.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on my 350z situation.