2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Your opinion on my 350z situation.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:51 PM
hai2u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Your opinion on my 350z situation.

Sorry for the long post... and *Colored for better reading*

Hi, I would like to get some constructive feedback on what you guys have to say about my situation; So... here it is...

I've totaled my Scion, however I was never too happy with it. Now... this does'nt mean I did'nt take care of it or try to make the best of it. I would hand wash it once a week and soon it grew on me. Ironically, as I grew to like the car I was involved in a car accident only involving; a showboating M3 me, a rock, and the left and right freeway walls. However the insurance did cover it and we got paid about 19k back for it. So that which is another story for another time will be shortly concluded to say.. it was his fault and if I ever find him, I'll make sure to return the favor with a couple huge rocks.

And yes the caption above is not a complete use of information, I will get into it later.

So the problem is that I want this 350z more than anything I can possibly imagine, and will do almost anything to get it. (just a figure of speech), but I would overwork myself to accomplish this. Im currently 19 and I've been looking for a potential car as I drive this rent-a-car. The 350z immediately caught my eye, and I fell upon this forum a week ago. Which then resulted into browsing and getting some info that the official website does not tell you.
I am currently looking to get a Grand Touring 350z coupe, which goes for about $37k according to the website, give or take. I'd like to say that I am in fact not joking and I am pretty serious.

Now I know this is a VERY pricy number, and I.. being 19 and in my first year of college have talked to my dad about helping to finance this car. He's told me that he will fully finance a 06' Camry / 06' Civic / or another '06 Scion. Basically a price range of 20k at max that he's willing to finance, along with insurance. Here's the dilemma; I will be on my own after i graduate college or even before.
So I thought to myself... "Hey, I want a car that I can drive and have fun with even after I graduate college." Meaning 4-5 years roughly.

And knowing myself, I don't think I could see myself being happy or satisfied driving a Scion in about 4-5 years and probably I will want a new car after those years. But then again, like I said I am only 19 and I am still young to make such a decision, so I'd like to know what you guys think or think I should do. Oh and by the way, my dad and I are in the process of trying to work out a deal.

Basically I told him that he would have to pay 20k, which is the same price as him buying me a civic/scion/etc. and I would pay the difference; he agreed somewhat; but then he popped the question of insurance for a Z, with the heightened monthly payments due to the scion incident. and i was thinking the same plan for the insurance as for the car, but my dad isnt that generous enough. So... now he wants me to think of a way smart way that he can agree to, to finance the Z or get a different car.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
highside107

Easy solution -- don't buy the Z brand new. You can get an '05 (I wouldn't recommend any '03-'04s used) with low miles for low $20's in excellent condition.

You are correct that the Z's insurance would be pretty high (recently came in #9 in a report of the top 10 most expensive cars to insure), but that's the price you pay for driving a 2 door sports car.

Good luck on the decision.

edit: You can find some nice, modded, very well priced, used Z's on this forum.

Last edited by highside107; 08-25-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:00 PM
HighwaySpeed

If I were you...

I'd take the '06 Scion via Dad, since you're only 19. If you plan on dying before you're 21, buy the 350Z GT.

My .02
Old 08-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Mewantbfp

Buy used for around 20,000 - 27,000 and save your self and your dad money or use the extra money your dad was going to give you to cover the extra insurance. GOOD luck.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:10 PM
ASTIG_Z

Use the Z as a motivation to Graduate. Get a civic, a Scion again, or a beater with four seats. Trust me, my friends talk smack to me everyday about having a 2 seater. <= Although I dont really care, but you are in college. You cant lug around your friends when you want in a Z.

Something more sensible for your parents. They are hooking you up with college and a car. Help them out financially and resposibly by getting a ride that you are satisfied with...when you graduate, get a top of the line Z or whatever is the hot **** then and learn your lesson about accomplishing goals.

my $.02!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:21 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I seems to me that dad is the one with the money. He is the decision maker.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dad knows best.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:32 PM
chuquison

Originally Posted by davidv
I seems to me that dad is the one with the money. He is the decision maker.
+1
by the way if I was in your shoes I would get a older RSX and Turbo and it will be less then 20k! and youll have room for your freinds!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:34 PM
streetracer

19years old + 300hp = extremely high probability of serious accident. The parking lot of college is a nest for door dings which hurt in a Z like you wouldn't believe. You may be going to concerts, rap scenes, smoking kryptonite with buddies, drinking heavily, etc. I think I agree with everybody, get a ****box till you graduate.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:36 PM
streetracer

Changed you're "location" roast. Are you not on the edge anymore?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Originally Posted by ASTIG_Z
Use the Z as a motivation to Graduate. Get a civic, a Scion again, or a beater with four seats. Trust me, my friends talk smack to me everyday about having a 2 seater. <= Although I dont really care, but you are in college. You cant lug around your friends when you want in a Z.

Something more sensible for your parents. They are hooking you up with college and a car. Help them out financially and resposibly by getting a ride that you are satisfied with...when you graduate, get a top of the line Z or whatever is the hot **** then and learn your lesson about accomplishing goals.

my $.02!
Not only my favorite avatar, but very bright too!!!! +1
Old 08-25-2006, 06:04 PM
roast

Originally Posted by streetracer
Changed you're "location" roast. Are you not on the edge anymore?
Well, the location of my foot is about to be up your noob *** if you don't stop trolling my posts like the little troll shmuck you are. Seriously... go rub a few sticks together and try to spark an intelligent thought for once.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:10 PM
rockinbboy

^aaah....no drama guys!

Alright...back to topic. Your desire for a Z is understandable, but I think its best to just get the Scion for now. Finish up with college and get that dream car. It will be much more worth while. The insurance and your dad I think are the real deciding factor. I loved the Z the day it came out, but I just got mine in February '06 as stated in my Signature. Now look at my Join Date for the forums.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:27 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My parents were never willing to help me with sh*t. If your dad is offering to buy you a $20K car, take it and thank the stars you have parents that will do that. Drive the car through college and then sell it or trade it in and get your Z when you graduate. The Z will make alot more HP in 4 years anyways.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:27 PM
NewJerZ

That new Civic Si is pretty nice....NOT a Z, but decent IMO. Plus, you ARE in college and won't have a "real" source of income until AFTER you graduate.

Let Dad do his thing ...The Z can wait...It's NOT going anywhere (Well...unless Nissan repeats history like with the overpriced Z32's of the 90's...Really hope they learned their lesson).

Last edited by NewJerZ; 08-25-2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:32 PM
thrill350z

go with a used touring i have an 03 with no problems
Old 08-25-2006, 06:34 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

I would NOT want a Z anywhere near a college campus... are you gonna stay in dorms? If so, I'd get a beater until I graduated. I don't trust people and a nice car is a target to get ****ed up. So get a beater 4 door that you won't get pissed when your drunk homeboys puke in the back or you won't cry when you overshoot your wad over some freshman girl's forehead and it ends up all over your seats or something. Save the extra loot that woulda been spent so that when you graduate you'll be able to afford the payments yourself and not have to rely on daddy's money... you can use your own.

Tony (kinda making sense, a little drunk though)
Old 08-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Suvlaki

Originally Posted by ASTIG_Z
...You cant lug around your friends when you want in a Z...
Who the hell wants to do that anyways? My Z has 1 seat available for 1 female to occupy it. End of Discussion.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:33 PM
ASTIG_Z

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
Not only my favorite avatar, but very bright too!!!! +1
Haha, Thanks bud. I went through alot to get where i am right now, as we all have in our lives. Experience is the best education!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:36 PM
ASTIG_Z

Originally Posted by Suvlaki
Who the hell wants to do that anyways? My Z has 1 seat available for 1 female to occupy it. End of Discussion.
what happens when you have two females? Ahhh! something I had to "endure"...=P

I was talking about college anyways. You meet alot of people in the dorms there and not everyone has a ride...the more the merrier!

Quick Reply: Your opinion on my 350z situation.