Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tire pressure fairies???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire pressure fairies???

Have you guys ever had a tire go flat for no apparent reason? This is a first for me....

About a week ago I topped off my tires to 35psi then mysteriously a few days later one of my tires had 4.5 psi in it. I looked for damage and couldnt find any so I filled it back up to 35psi and it's been several days since then and it's holding 35psi just fine.

What gives?
Old 09-02-2006, 07:34 AM
kpiskin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A number of things can cause this. You may have hit a bump really hard, weather temperature changes may cause leaking faster than normal or you may have a slow leak from something piercing your tire. My rear left tire was nearly flat after not driving it for a week since I was out of town. It only sat in the garage, so I figured it just needed to be refilled. It's still holding that air. If you fill with nitrogen you will be less susceptible to temperature changes and leaks, but you have to find a place that has it first. I don't know of any around my home.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:40 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Someone let the air out of your tire

or

you have a bad valve stem.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:46 AM
techcontrol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roast
Have you guys ever had a tire go flat for no apparent reason? This is a first for me....

About a week ago I topped off my tires to 35psi then mysteriously a few days later one of my tires had 4.5 psi in it. I looked for damage and couldnt find any so I filled it back up to 35psi and it's been several days since then and it's holding 35psi just fine.

What gives?
Since you just filled up when that occured. I think the valve core got stuck. It happens sometimes when you put the air chuck on at an angle. If you can't hear/feel the air leaking, put some soapy water in the valve core.

Last edited by techcontrol; 09-02-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:03 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techcontrol
Since you just filled up when that occured. I think the valve core got stuck. It happens sometimes when you put the air chuck on at an angle. If you can't hear/feel the air leaking, put some soapy water in the valve core.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking was most likely since I had just filled them up, but I didn't know if that even happens. I've filled up a lot of tires in my day and that has never happen to me before. I guess I'll be more careful?

There was a weird coincidence that happened just prior to me noticing the flat that made me wonder. I had just came from my GF's apartments where people have messed with my car before, and from what I could tell it was fine on the way over there. All the kids were in school at the time though. I couldn't really see an adult letting the air out of just one tire and putting the cap back on.