Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Guys, Help me with these arrogant dealers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:39 PM
luty77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys, Help me with these arrogant dealers!

Guys, I just got back to Vancouver from my vacation from Korea.
It was a blast summer, hope you guys had as much fun as I did.
Anyways, back to the topic.

So I'm back to my town. Everytime I see Z on the street then, I go
scream " I WANT MINEEEE "
My friend and I gathered up for lunch today then, we went to dealerships
together to get some infos, quotes on remaining 06 Zs.. So here it goes.

First dealer was called "Morrey Nissan & Infiniti" in a city called Coquitlam.
I drove in with my rental car(a Hyundai Accent), and I'm 21(please do not flame me for being young) a guy glanced at me and looked away. This
did not pleased me but whatever. I went in, then asked for a sales guy.
person at the info desk was like "They are all busy, please have a seat,
salesman will be right with me" Then a guy came to me shortly, fairly old folk.
I told him that I want a 07 Z but I was wondering I could get some good deals
on 06 Zs, and I told him that I wanted blk coupe performance model(Z only
comes in performance model with a choice of GT package). He's like

"I can only give you the MSRP Price, we make deals on the day of purchase."
I go "So, you are not going to give me a quote or what-so-ever?"
"We don't have any coupe Zs in stock and I don't think we can bring more in"

I was so shocked how quick he said that, and how unuseful he was.
I automatically thought, 'He doesn't have any Zs in stock so he ain't going
to help me or think i'm serious of buying the car cuz I look young'
I didn't think he knew I had a pocket of 50k money to spend just because,
I am a young asian guy. This blew me off. So I took off without saying
proper byes and moved on to next one.

Pitt Meadow Nissan, Relatively nice, but basically the same thing and he added 'When we brought our last 06 Z in, the person who brought it said
"you've got the last Z hanging around in BC(my province)' I called BS!

Lastly, ANOTHER Morrey Nissan in Lougheed. Closed, but last guy to leave
said "we only have couple in the lot but we can bring more in, I'm sure.
give me a call tomorrow at 12, we can talk then"

Well, THAT DIDN'T GO SO WELL after spending entire afternoon trying to
get some info or quotes. SO far I've got no quotes but the MSRP - -..

Thanks for reading long read, but I need some advice on how to act, or talk
when going into dealership to buy the car. I'm not so pleased that people
at dealership didn't treat me so well cuz I'm young kid drove in with rented
Hyundai, which pisses me off to the hell.
One thing I know now though, they can lie with smiles on their faces.
I won't be tricked next time I make a trip to dealership.

Give me lots of replies please!!

PS - No, my parents didn't give me the money, but they taught me to save as I was in kindergarden. Please no "go home kid" "you dont' deserve the car"
replies
Old 09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
bofa

There's nothing you can do about your age. I'm not much older than you and have had this problem with all 8 cars and 2 motorcycles that I've purchased. However, you can sometimes use this to your advantage because they are "sizing you up" while you're making smart decisions and bargaining your price. I would not pay MSRP for any car... you just have to dangle the sale in front of their face and get them to do what you want to do.

At least, that how it works in the states...
Old 09-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Chrispy
GURU

i would try using the nissan website to your advantage. i searched the inventory of all the dealerships i tx before i found what i wanted. after doing that i contacted them by email and was pleasantly surprised that the best offer i recieved was from an email.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Built2shredZ

Find the dealership that has the car you like and ask for the manager, when he comes out tell him you will give him $800 - $1000 over invoice for the car, if he says no, then say thanks for your time... Odds are he will come around, if not keep looking, thats what I did..
Old 09-02-2006, 09:53 PM
luty77

bofa - I feel you man, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and be more cocky
than they are.

Crispy and Kim - Hm.. I dont know if they had such list for car inventory in
the canadian nissan site, but What I did was e-mail 6 of dealership near
my place, and I've got only two replies saying "WE DON'T GIVE OUT OUR
BEST PRICE OVER INTERNET" Like somebody said on this forum, I ignored
and didn't continue pursuading.

Built2shredZ - That's the kind of plan I was thinking to use on 07 Zs. I kinda want 06 Z at the invoice price or some price I might choose 06 over 07 I
might seem little greedy.

How do you find the cars you like exactly? I know I want blk coupe Z.
But how do u know which dealership has which? do you really have to visit
them all? Phone call?
I'm soo newb at this.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find out what invoice and msrp prices are for the model you want, and accept something in-btwn.
email all the dealers you are willing to travel to, and tell them what you want. tell them you are ready to buy today. that should motivate someone.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:05 AM
Everybodywildou

Hey I'm 20. When I was 18 and got my first car (G35) the dealerships for the most part didnt give me any hard times. I was always by myself when inquiring about the cars. Not saying you have to, but dress like you got money and theyll be kissing your ***. Remember that it is THEIR job to help you and it is what puts food on their table. If they dont want a sale then let them act like a dick to you. If they dont want to feed their kids then w/e.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:15 AM
orngez

i'll tell you what...i had a similar experience when buying my first Z...i was 21 years old (and yes i pay for it with my own hard earned money) and the sales people and the dealership would not give me the time of day....a lot of the salesman who brushed me off as some kid dreaming to own a Z felt real stupid when i was driving off the lot with it later. and it ended up being the sales manager of the dealership who sold me the car and gave his guys a good a$$ reaming when i told him how they all ignored me and almost lost a potential sale because i was actually walking out of the dealership pissed and he just happened to walk by me as i was walking out the door and asked me if i needed any help.....
Old 09-03-2006, 05:37 AM
kpiskin

Sales people are fickle and are taught to size people up. One way to overcome your age is through social engineering. This is what you do. Dress up nicer than average. If you can show up after work or during lunch in a business suit, so you look professional and like you're getting paid. The sales people will approach you. If they engage in casual conversation, and ask why you're there, make sure you tell them you were passing through and wanted to check inventory on the way home from work because you were interested in purchasing a Z. They will be curious why you're dressed up or what you do for a living. Just tell them you work for Microsoft or something. Negotiate your price before you do any paperwork.

Typically new Nissans will show up toward the end of the year, and this is about the time dealerships have stopped ordering current year cars. If they don't have any on the lot that doesn't mean they can't get any more, but usually neighboring dealerships will only trade similar cars with similar options. Since the Z is a lower volume car and most dealerships will not carry a lot of them. So when they run out, they run out.

If you show up in crappy clothes then sales people figure you are just dreaming and have no way of paying.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kpiskin
Sales people are fickle and are taught to size people up.
Agree. Successful salespeople are masters of human behavior. Within 2 minutes they can tell who is window shopping, and who is buying. Obviously you got put in the window shopping category. If you are buying, your approach has to change. Stop this time waiting and useless search for quotes. A quote is worth spit. As I have mentioned in the buying forum 50 times, you have the money - take charge of the negotiations.

Find the car that you want.
Study the prices.
Make your best offer.

Nothing gets a salesperson’s attention like I will give you $$$ for the car now.

What is that old saying? Money talks. BS walks.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Everybodywildou

Originally Posted by orngez
i'll tell you what...i had a similar experience when buying my first Z...i was 21 years old (and yes i pay for it with my own hard earned money) and the sales people and the dealership would not give me the time of day....a lot of the salesman who brushed me off as some kid dreaming to own a Z felt real stupid when i was driving off the lot with it later. and it ended up being the sales manager of the dealership who sold me the car and gave his guys a good a$$ reaming when i told him how they all ignored me and almost lost a potential sale because i was actually walking out of the dealership pissed and he just happened to walk by me as i was walking out the door and asked me if i needed any help.....
Love this story
Old 09-03-2006, 08:48 AM
microd

edmunds.com

Price w/ options. Request quotes. Only go to a dealership after you get an email from them for the price you want.

Love that website.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:55 AM
teknochild

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
Find the dealership that has the car you like and ask for the manager, when he comes out tell him you will give him $800 - $1000 over invoice for the car, if he says no, then say thanks for your time... Odds are he will come around, if not keep looking, thats what I did..

i would offer 500 over invoice first, im sure they really want to get rid of 06's right now with the 07s coming in and the changes, after the 07s are out they will be hard pressed to get rid of the 06s

and yea just walk in their like you own the place, if they make you wait go out on the lot yourself and start looking at the Zs they have, if nothing else youll get someone out their just to keep an eye on you

being an arrogant ******* could probably help too
Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by luty77

How do you find the cars you like exactly? I know I want blk coupe Z.
But how do u know which dealership has which? do you really have to visit
them all? Phone call?
I'm soo newb at this.
reserach it on www.nissanusa.com , go to build your own 350z and when you get all the options you want, you can look at local dealerhips inventory on the web page to see if they have anything close to what you want...

Don't beleive to much of the hype of people saying they bought there car for invoice or below, after all a Nissan Dealership is a bussiness and if they can't make profit they will go out of bussiness... Besides i've yet to see anyone post a copy of there contract showing they bought it for invoice or below.. If someone did get it for that price it would be very rare and the car was probably sitting on the lot for a very long time, not to mention it was probably a unpopular model, trim and color....

I Figure there is around $3000 between invoice and MRSP to nogatiate with.. I would say the average person pays around $1000-$2000 below MRSP for there 350z's...

I've also found its best to shop in big cities where there are multiple Nissan dealerships competting with each other, sometimes you will find a dealership that has already marked down the price of its cars by $1500-$2000 below MRSP... I bought my from Mossy Nissan when the 2004 Roadsters first came out and they were the only dealership that already had $1800 marked off MRSP. When a dealership marks down there cars this way its usally there way of saying this is as cheap as were willing to sale the car... Makes it nice if you don't like to haggle...
Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by teknochild
i would offer 500 over invoice first, im sure they really want to get rid of 06's right now with the 07s coming in and the changes, after the 07s are out they will be hard pressed to get rid of the 06s

and yea just walk in their like you own the place, if they make you wait go out on the lot yourself and start looking at the Zs they have, if nothing else youll get someone out their just to keep an eye on you

being an arrogant ******* could probably help too

True always better to start low then move up... Although keep in mind you will probably get a better deal once the 07's are on the lot and they need to get rid of the last of the 06's they have...
Old 09-03-2006, 09:20 AM
islandsnow

The best way i have seen is using edmunds, yahoo auto's, kelley blue book, etc, get the prices off those, know what options you want, how much they cost off these sites. Then use the free get a quote option on the websites, the (most of the time fleet guy) dealer will call you and try to get you to come in, some will just give you the quote over the phone. This is called the internet price. I have seen a lot of the prices for other cars, and they are usually very good. From there, you can go to a dealer, if they don't help you, walk out. Simple as that, they aren't worth your money. If they are willing to work with you, tell them that you have a few firm quotes already, just seeing if this dealer is willing to beat it. From there, you can visit other dealers trying to get the best quote. A lot of dealers try to do the pressure thing, make you sit there, fill out a lot of crap, if they start doing that, just say, i don't have time for that today, i just need a quote, if you're not willing to work with me, then i have go. Just make it friendly, but blunt. Usually you will see that the internet price is pretty good. Some dealers won't even come close. Anyways, try to get the internet or sometimes it's from the fleet salesman price, and go from there. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 AM
teknochild

Originally Posted by RadioManJ350Z33
Don't take offense, you need help...

Here is my shot at helping you...

Two things are working against you; your age and your attitude, and you can overcome both by changing YOUR attitude.

Sales-people can spot an arrogant kid a mile away. After reading the way you reacted to their arrogancy, it tells me that you are the one in need of an attitude adjustment, not them. You have something they want, business; and they have something you want, a Z. Sounds like to me you can't control the way they act, but you can control the way you act.

If you go in there with a chip on your shoulder, or looking like some hip hop junkie, your gonna get bad service, it's as simple as that. Car dealers are a place of business, not a flee market. This world responds to you, and the way you handle things and present yourself, so you need to learn to handle your emotions... it's just a simple business transaction. It would probably help to put on a nice shirt and tie when you go. It shows them you respect yourself and it looks like you have money and ready to deal.

Number one: You should not care if you are 21, and you should not care if you drive a rental. The fact that you are hung up on that, is the ammunition the sale-people need to be jerks to you.

Here's what to do...

1. Go to www.nissanusa.com and get the options you want figured out first.
2. Call your insurance co. and get a quote for the Z. B/c you can't leave the showroom w/o it.
3. Call your bank and secure a loan for that amount minus what ever down payment you have. Never sit at a dealer trying to get financing or insurance. It shows stupidity and imaturaty.
4. Get the phone book out and call the NISSAN dealers, and ask them if they have that exact car.
If they do: you have the MSRP in hand, and say I am willing to pay $2000 under that MSRP, and I have financing and insurance already.
If they do not: ask them if they can get it from another dealer if they will agree on that price you previously offered.

Do business over the phone! Then all you have to do is check the car out in person for damages and sign a few papers.

You'll be at the dealer maybe 45mins; less time for them to try and figure out a price for you.

This type of business shows that you are on top of things, and mature. You'll get a lot more respect from them for doing it this way. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on the system of buying a car, and know what you are doing, and dress the part... first impressions are everything.

I have perfect credit, and cash to back it, up. Many times I've gone to buy a car in shorts and a t-shirt = no one talks to me. I put on a shirt and tie, even a full suit, and the same dealer is asking me what I want to pay.
its funny that you criticise his attitude for having a chip on his shoulder and then tell him to dress up in a suit
Old 09-03-2006, 10:25 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOTE: "Dealer Invoice" is NOT what the car actually costs the dealership. Dealer's get a supplement from the manufacturer called dealer holdback (You should be able to find an explanation on any auto site, such as Edmunds).

It can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but is commonly 2.5-3% of invoice. So if you buy a new Z at invoice price, and the invoice is $30K, then the dealer has made over $800. And every dealership I have ever seen will also tack on a "document fee" typically $200-500, sometimes even higher.

So don't worry, the dealership won't go broke selling cars at "invoice price".

Make your first offer $500 below invoice.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:28 AM
teknochild

umm dont pay a dosument fee, only ever pay the 3 ts and destination, anything else and your a sucker

Quick Reply: Guys, Help me with these arrogant dealers!