Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Getting a 350Z stick or auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:08 PM
cMw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the manual

someone taught me how to drive one in an hour, and i had really gotten the hang of it..trust me you WILL REGRET getting the automatic
Old 09-04-2006, 02:11 PM
ouch1011

Learning to drive a stick under most circumstances will only take a couple hours of practice. Learning to shift quick and smooth, or take off uphill will take longer, but still not that long. Maybe a week if you do it regularly. I learned formally when I was 15 years old, but I had driven stick shift several times before that, and I'm really glad I did, because my career requires that I know how to drive a stick shift.

IMO both the auto and the manual have their pluses. An auto is obviously alot easier to drive daily, but I believe they are harder to drive under a performance/track situation because you don't have as much control over shift timing, firmness, or engine braking. Manuals are harder to drive, but they offer more control and a better feel of being "one" with the car.

I would personally never buy a sports car with an auto.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
dchengmd

If you want a manual, then get the manual. Just be sure you're willing to learn how to drive a MT car and that you won't regret it later.

Hell, I learned how to drive a MT on my new Porsche. I ended up stalling the poor car about 20 times on the first day, usually in the middle of a busy intersection, but I was doing fine by the next day. That first day, though...man did I feel like an idiot.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Ianmtx

I highly doubt you will regret getting an AT, especially if you drive in traffic a lot. Besides, it still is a kick *** car and AT's are so advanced nowadays that your car will still own. Just make sure you get a viper alarm with remote start so it'll be more worth it . If anyone tells you that you should've bought a MT, just tell them to STFU and go back to driving their piece of **** car.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:57 PM
daz311x

i know how to drive a manual and i bought an auto Z and don't regret it at all. I live in LA and work about 1 or 2 miles west of downtown. There are several days during the week when I can't even reach the 65 mph speed limit on the freeway because there's so much traffic. The streets are just as bad. There are several other reasons why i choose the auto over a manual such as having to switch cars with friends/family whenever I have to haul a lot of stuff. Also, when i find myself drunk, i need my DD to be able to drive me home. Most of the people I know don't know how to drive a manual. If I had more than one car that one of those would definately be a manual. To me, my Z is a touring car so when I drive I like to cruise and just kick back. If you really want the manual and don't know how to drive one, learn and get the Z. to each their own

Last edited by daz311x; 09-04-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Morningglorie

Get the Daytona Blue, much nicer color than the Silverstone!

Manual vs. auto - I learned to drive stick when I was 17, it was considered an essential skill to have back in the day. I owned nothing but manual cars for the next 20 years. Finally bought an AT after that, due to traffic, and haven't had a manual since.

Reasons to buy manual boil down to more control for racing (will you be racing?) and the fun of it. Reasons to buy AT boil down to more convenience if you drive in city traffic a lot.

Remember that in the Z AT, you still get the shift it yourself option, so you can drive it like a manual if you want. Personally, I think the AT is the best choice for that reason, as you get the convenience of the AT most of the time but the fun of doing your own shifting when desired.

You can ask the salesman to teach you the basics of how to drive manual if you want. Any good salesman should be able to do that. After you try both of them, you'll have a better idea which transmission you like better.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:16 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98MODMTR
Hot chic "hey, what car is yours?"

You "The new 2006 350z over there"

You "It's got an automatic transmission"

You again, "hey, hey, where you going, I will let you drive it..."

Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
TSG-Z

When I was the looking at the Z I saw that it had the shiftronic and I started to think, hell I can relax in traffic and get on it on the highway, but in the end I went with the MT. Its a sportscar and I think they should always be MT.

TSG
Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Bananax

I would go for A/T only if it's SMG or DSG.

Learning how to drive manual takes only a few hours. Go for it.

Last edited by Bananax; 09-06-2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Ilov350ZEE

Got the car, i happy with my choice i picked an 06 auto daytona blue it fit my need. sorry manual guys but thanx.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 AM
dchengmd

Originally Posted by Ilov350ZEE
Got the car, i happy with my choice i picked an 06 auto daytona blue it fit my need. sorry manual guys but thanx.
Cool, hope you enjoy your new car! You've got nothing to apologize for. You got the car with the transmission you wanted, and that's what matters.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:49 AM
daveZ insanity

Default Right on target!

Originally Posted by Morningglorie
Manual vs. auto - I learned to drive stick when I was 17, it was considered an essential skill to have back in the day. I owned nothing but manual cars for the next 20 years. Finally bought an AT after that, due to traffic, and haven't had a manual since.

Reasons to buy manual boil down to more control for racing (will you be racing?) and the fun of it. Reasons to buy AT boil down to more convenience if you drive in city traffic a lot.
My Z is the first AT vehicle I bought in 43 years of driving except for Suburbans and other tow vehicles. I can't get a full-size guitar case, a reasonable club amp and a gear bag in the Z. I had to get A/T if I wanted it so I could leave it for my wife and take her car if I need to carry stuff.

Sure I miss stick - I even found the brake pedal with my left foot a few times while trying to step on the clutch. But an auto Z is fast and fun, and I sure don't miss rowing the car through traffic with the shifter. Lots of Ferraris, Jags, Astons, Masers and other exotics have autos. I see no point to manually shifting an automatic - in my experience, the only people who do this on the street are those who don't know how to drive stick. Neither I nor any other SCCA racer I know does this. It isn't fun and it doesn't accomplish anything.

I do agree with those who say you should learn to drive stick, though - I can't imagine any car person who doesn't get something extra out of driving stick over automatic when you can really use it.

Last edited by daveZ insanity; 09-06-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Morningglorie

Default Well-done!

Originally Posted by Ilov350ZEE
Congrats to you, sweet color choice and you got what you wanted.

Have fun driving it - but not TOO much fun!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 AM
d!abolic

If you buy a 350 in auto, i will find you and rightfully kill you Thank god i bought mine in stick. It was my first, so i was kinda worried, but after a few days and a new transmission (just kidding), i was like a fish in water.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:45 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Stillen Offers An Automatic Transmission Capacity Upgrade For Around $700, Making A Turbo Kit And Forged Internals Soooo Much More Fun. Also The Driveline Shop Can Provide Axles And A Driveshaft. Rock Solid, No Missed Shifts Fast Every Time, Just Press The Pedal Down And Youre Gone. Mine Is In The Works, I Will Put A Thread Up With Pics, Times, And Dyno Results When Mine Is Complete. Dont Let All The M/t Guys Rag On You!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 PM
ZeeKay

My fiancee doesn't know how to drive a manual, and I sort of like that because it means she can't borrow my Z.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:35 PM
only1

I have had an auto Z for the last 3 years. I just sold it and plan on getting a manual Z. I intially bought it because of traffic to the city for work everyday. I no longer have to make that drive so going for the manual. I am currently taking instruction ($250.00 for 6 hours) for the stick shift right now. I don't have any friends with manual's so I think this is the best route to go. I took my first instruction tonight and did alright. It's nowhere near as easy as auto, but your more one with the road, you feel like your part of the car. It is still overwelming, but I think I will appreciate the Z more. I still loved my Z with an auto, and if you never drove stick before (like me), you won't be able to regret not getting stick.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:13 AM
d!abolic

Originally Posted by ZeeKay
My fiancee doesn't know how to drive a manual, and I sort of like that because it means she can't borrow my Z.

Quick Reply: Getting a 350Z stick or auto